Hedge

New member - some of my work

Hi everyone!

Man, what a bunch of talented people here! I'm almost embarrassed to show some of my work. But, the best way to improve

is to get some helpful critiques from all of you.

I do braiding, mostly. I like working with 'roo and am trying to get the hang of rawhide (a Nate Wald wannabe :notworthy: ). I've done a few knots

and this bit connector/keyring. Still not ready to try something big in 'hide. The reins detail is from a set of ropers I did a while back.

I've tried my hand at tooling and making belts and holsters. What I want to get right is an antique,

used look in my holsters and cartridge belts. Here's a pic of my first try at this. If anyone can offer some suggestions at improvement,

have at it. :)

Thanks for any input,

Gary

connector_finished.jpg

GunRig01.jpg

roper_detail.jpg

post-6209-1206150426_thumb.jpg

post-6209-1206150446_thumb.jpg

post-6209-1206150470_thumb.jpg

Welcome. Those pieces all look really nice. I think you've got an aged look going on that gun rig. How'd you do it?

Beautiful work! I'd love to see more.

Really nice,

I be proud to put my name to those if I were you.

ShirleyZ

I'm so glad you finally decided to show your work. It was about time you decided to share it 'cause it's outstanding in my opinion.

Ok, ok, I may be biased a little here ^_^ but still, it's truly well done. Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you're going to enjoy you're stay here :)

Welcome. Those pieces all look really nice. I think you've got an aged look going on that gun rig. How'd you do it?

Thanks, Grumpy.

Luck, mostly. I started with a medium brown die. Wasn't dark enough when dry, so I added another coat. Still not satisfied so I rubbed

in some brown antique and then finished with saddler's oil. That did the trick.

Gary

beautiful work, your braiding is to die for!!!!

Beautiful work! I'd love to see more.

Thanks, Tom. I'll see what I can dig up. I tend to make stuff and forget to take pics.

Man, do you make great looking helms! I know some guys back in CA who would love to be as good as you.

Gary

Really nice,

I be proud to put my name to those if I were you.

ShirleyZ

Thanks Shirley!

Oh man! You make Badass Seats? I was helping a fellow in CA who just started doing tooled seats. Did a search on the web to see what

the competition was like and found your place. Darn near threw in the towel. :notworthy: But, he's a go getter and has a style of his own. Last

I heard, he's still working at it. :)

Gary

Edited by Hedge

I'm so glad you finally decided to show your work. It was about time you decided to share it 'cause it's outstanding in my opinion.

Ok, ok, I may be biased a little here ^_^ but still, it's truly well done. Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you're going to enjoy you're stay here :)

Thanks Tig! You're not so bad urowndurnself. :D

beautiful work, your braiding is to die for!!!!

Thank you leatheroo! That's a might fine compliment. :)

I took a look at your site. Wish I had an imagination like yours. Too bad you're not in the states. I know some

people who would pay to have you teach them how to make leather masks.

Gary

Gary the gun belt is fantastic. You were going for an old west look and I think you achieved it. I would love to post a picture of it on my web site, if your interested. Take a look and let me know. www.theleathercraftsman.com

Welcome to the forum Gary, great looking work there, I love the braiding you do, thanks for sharing with us.

Ken

Gary the gun belt is fantastic. You were going for an old west look and I think you achieved it. I would love to post a picture of it on my web site, if your interested. Take a look and let me know. www.theleathercraftsman.com

CollinsMS,

Thanks for the compliment! Yup, that's what I was going for. As much as I admire shiny new stuff, there's just something about leather

that looks like it's been used a bit. (now, I have to get some wear on my 'ol .44 to match the leather!)

It would be an honor to have my rig posted on your site. Go for it and thanks!

Gary

I like working with 'roo ...

I've never worked with her but I like talking to her....LOL!!!! Sorry had to....

You have some really nice stuff here. Please keep sharing.

Welcome to the forum Gary, great looking work there, I love the braiding you do, thanks for sharing with us.Ken
Thanks, Ken! This sure looks like the place to be.
I've never worked with her but I like talking to her....LOL!!!! Sorry had to....You have some really nice stuff here. Please keep sharing.
:lol: Good one Spider!Thanks,Gary

Gary, I agree with CollinsMS on the holster and belt. They are fantastic!! Your braiding looks first rate to me, but I'm no judge as I can't do it myself. Would love to see more of your work anytime!

Warren

Gary, I agree with CollinsMS on the holster and belt. They are fantastic!! Your braiding looks first rate to me, but I'm no judge as I can't do it myself. Would love to see more of your work anytime!

Warren

Thanks, Warren!

Just had a look at your money belt/cartridge belt. Sweet! I really like the combination colors you chose and the way you

used the antique to highlight it. Gives it that worn look I like. I see you like clipped corner buckles, too. :)