Sign in to follow this  
MADMAX22

First IWB holster (unfinished)

Well allmost finished my IWB for my taurus. I have done one other holster that was a OWB and this is my second attempt at this one. I need to find some screws that will work with the tnuts that I picked up that will fit inside of the snaps I have. Gotta try a couple of other shops around here before I look to ordering online. Once I find them Ill finish it.

Just wanted to throw it up for critique on design and whatever else you all can suggest.

The stitching didnt come out great as I had a hell of a time getting the awl thru this leather for some reason, think it had some rawhide or the tanning burned the inside or something. It was the hardest leather Ive ever tried stabbing. Pulled one awl out of its haft on this guy.

Anyways the holster is all 8oz died dark brown, oiled, then finished with sno-seal.

iwb holster 1.jpg

iwb holster 2.jpg

iwb holster 3.jpg

iwb holster 4.jpg

post-5781-125825592774_thumb.jpg

post-5781-125825593292_thumb.jpg

post-5781-125825593862_thumb.jpg

post-5781-125825594457_thumb.jpg

Nicely done. Stitching look good to me as well as the dye job very classy looking.

a 6-32 screw should fit right down into the snaps and not cause any issues with the snap function. If you used 8-32 T-nuts you might want to switch them out with 6-32s or you'll have to grind the heads of the 8-32 screws down so they'll fit in the snaps.

I found stainless steel 6-32 countersunk hex-drive screws in the bulk hardware section of my local hardware store. They also had the 6-32 T-nuts.

Bronson

Edited by Bronson

Excellent job, Corey!!!

Design is so sweet and elegant. Neat stiching and molding topped with a nice rich colour.

The sewn on bit at the top makes a veeery nice addition to it, bonus points for creativity!!!

Tom

Good call Ill have to go look again. First I tried the 8-32 with those hex head type but as you stated they wouldnt fit. I got some of the 6-32 tnuts but they didnt have the same type of screws so Im probably gonna hit up ace or something. Hopefully that will do the trick then I can actually put this thing thru some trials and usage.

I dont see anything wrong with the stitching it looks good to me.

The whole thing looks good.

What does "IWB" and "OWB" stand for, I'm thinking inside and outside waste band but not sure.

Flathead 8-32 machine screws will work. The heads will be flush with the top of the snap and they'll work perfectly.

Eugene

Looks great Corey.Love the color, and design.Dave

I dont see anything wrong with the stitching it looks good to me.

The whole thing looks good.

What does "IWB" and "OWB" stand for, I'm thinking inside and outside waste band but not sure.

Yep inside or outside the waste band.

Thanks everyone for the compliments.

As far as the stitching its hard to see in the pics. I ran over it a bunch with the overstitch wheel to kind of get it looking decent. It was a bear while I was doing it but itll work.

Very nice design and execution. Stitching is as good as I have seen anywhere.

I use a lot of #6-32 machine screws and #6 X 1/4" T-nuts, buying these by the hundreds. This size works well with standard Dot-snaps for IWB and OWB belt loop fasteners. If you need a few for this project, or experimentation, send me a PM with your mailing address and I will oblige.

Thanks for the offer Lobo, I should be able to round some up here locally though. Appreciate it though and the compliments.

Madmax, . . . just thinking out of the box, . . . if you want some help with stitching, how about a small drill press???

You don't even have to turn the thing on or plug it in, just use a sewing needle or an awl needle, . . . and use the leverage of the drill press to force the needle down where you want it.

Occasionally I want a certain piece I'm doing to look different from my stitcher's stitching, . . . I use the stitcher to make the holes, . . . then hand stitch the item. It works the same way for me as the drill press would for you.

Harbor Freight and other "cheap tools.com" folks can sell you one for 40 or 50 bucks, . . . and we see them from time to time at yard sales for 20 or so.

May God bless,

Dwight