Sign in to follow this  
JCCD

pigskin lining

I need to get some pigskin for lining holsters but I've always been told that chrome tanned leather is not good for blued guns. I know a lot of pigskin is chrome tanned. None of the pigskins in the TLF catalog are listed as being veg or chrome tanned. So, is there a way to tell by looking at them or feeling them? Or does anyone know a good source for vegtable tanned pigskin?

I need to get some pigskin for lining holsters but I've always been told that chrome tanned leather is not good for blued guns. I know a lot of pigskin is chrome tanned. None of the pigskins in the TLF catalog are listed as being veg or chrome tanned. So, is there a way to tell by looking at them or feeling them? Or does anyone know a good source for vegtable tanned pigskin?

Kevin at Springfield leather- 1.800.668.8518

pete

Rule of thumb:

Vegetable-tanned is rigid and absorbs water easily.

Chrome-tanned is soft, limited absorption of water.

Brain-tanned is also quite soft, and absorbs water easily, but we see very little of this type.

Could you use some veg tanned calf? I belive petite tooling calf is around 2 - 2.5oz or, tooling kip sides are around 2.5 - 3oz.

Edited by Hilly

Kevin at Springfield leather- 1.800.668.8518

pete

Hey, hey...relax, Pete :)) vege-tanned, chrome-tanned, brain-tanned, and what have you's, LOL! personally, for me, I wouldnt risk using any of the above as a lining!! I would use a good quality synthetic to play on the safe side. But whatever you decide, best of luck! :))

Rhona

A couple of years ago over on 1911.com, this same subject came up. One of the guys from Milt Sparks Holsters chimed in with an experiment he did. He took a mild steel rod and wrapped it with chrome tanned suede, . . . stuck it in a locker, . . . and left it. If my memory is correct, . . . several months later he took it out to see how it was going. The leather had made no change at all in the steel, in fact I took from what he said that it may have prevented what would have otherwise been surface rust from just being exposed to the air.

FWIW, . . . long and short of it, . . . I have used pig skin as well as suede, . . . have never had a customer give me any grief about it.

May God bless,

Dwight

I dont know if the chrome tan guys will ruin guns but the veg tan stuff I have not had any issues with. Now that being said I dont have a standard blue gun you would say. I have my taurus pt145 pro that is stored in its bianchi holster that is vegtan. Ive had it like that for 3 years, its either in the holster put up or IWB in the holster. Now the high points have gradually started to show some wear but I would expect that with any gun that sees use and is not just kept in the dresser all its life.

its either in the holster put up or IWB in the holster.

It is generally considered a no-no to store a gun in the holster.

Bronson

It is generally considered a no-no to store a gun in the holster.

Bronson

Yeah if I had a old style revolver that had true blueing or a really old gun with older steel I probably wouldnt but the newer guns are a different story IMO.

Besides nothing has happened to it yet so I cant say as Im to worried about it. If it does show signs of rust or anything else Ill be the first to admit to it and kick my own butt lol.

One of the concerns with pigskin lining is that it's not "slick", and can hamper the draw from a holster. Another consideration is whether the lining leather has been sealed.

One of the concerns with pigskin lining is that it's not "slick", and can hamper the draw from a holster. Another consideration is whether the lining leather has been sealed.

I can attest to this. Just finished my first lined holster and the pig does grab the gun more than any of my unlined holsters. Gonna have to hit it with some soap to slick it up a bit.