Sign in to follow this  
rickeyfro

Gomph Overstich wheel

I bought a no 16 Gomph overstich wheel on Ebay, handle and ferrul are excellen but wheel doesnt spin and has teeth missing, do any of the tool makers refurbish these?

I bought a no 16 Gomph overstich wheel on Ebay, handle and ferrul are excellen but wheel doesnt spin and has teeth missing, do any of the tool makers refurbish these?

Rickey. i have an old gomph that has the same problem. i have had it soaking in a light oil for a couple months and still will not turn. I will leave it there a little longer. You might try that. as for the teeth missing use a small rattial file to refile new teeth on it. Take it to the rig with you and play with it when you are bored

you might try using penetrating lubricant first. like WD-40 and the like. Then hit it with a wire brush to see if you can break the rust loose.

I don't know if you can get them repaired or not, you could try Bob Douglas, he specializes in old tools. Maybe Jeremiah Watt. :dunno:

Soak it in soapy water, put some dawn or other dish washing liquid in some water and let the tool soak. I have a friend who manages a wrecking/salvage yard and that is what they use to loosen rusty and or stuck bolts etc. they put it in a spray bottle and spray the stuff down. Just my 2 cents!

Try a soak in vinegar for an hour or so then force the wheel to move a little bit then oil it with fine oil and force it a git more. then dip it in Talcum Powder and keep it turning. This acts as a fine polish to free it up. Run it over some scrap Leather vigorously as this will help to polish the touching surfaces and allow them to run nicely. When you are happy with the freedom, oil it and warm the Wheel and frame in a light Gas flame and run it again on Scrap. I keep my Wheels in Talcum wrapped in oiled Calico, in a Tin to keep the Rust away. My main set are over 100 year old and that is how they a have always been kept. So I figure that it has been tried and tested fairly well. The Broken Teeth I would file to shape and Buff them.

I hope this is of use to you.

Kindest Regards.

Jim Saddler.

This may help to break the rust.

A pan of boiling water on stove, not up to the wood.

hold in for 2 min or so to get the heat all through.

Then dip into light oil or WD40 at room temp until tool is cool.

Do this 3 to 6 times.

This should suck the oil into bearing area and break up the rust.

Some times works great, other times a wast of time.

Rust can easily be removed with citric acid. It will not destroy the fresh metal but it will chemically eat the rust. A teaspoon of citric acid in 2 cups of boiling water and a little dish wash. Put the rusty metal into the hot solution and let it stay for an hour or two.

/ Knut

Edited by oldtimer

Thanks everyone, that should keep me busy