Sign in to follow this  
Wyvern

Is there an easy way to achieve this look?

Is there any way to achieve a black background like this, other than hand painting? BTW, Hidepounder, this belt is beautiful!

http://leatherworker.net/forum/uploads/1260314920/gallery_7682_9_103115.jpg

I have trouble with the tiny places and a paint brush. The dye seems to have a mind of it's own and I have trouble getting it into the tiny corners. I am persently using Fiebings Black leather stain.

Thanks in advance for any help

Donnie

For tiny corners use a tiny brush, Donnie

I think if you want to dye a background area like that, you are going to have to use a brush. What I've found that works for me is to dip your brush into the dye, touch it to the side of the container to get rid of some of the dye, then touch it to the middle of the background area. If you have the right amount of dye on the brush, it will spread out from where you touch it and usually stop when it hits a cut or beveled line. If you have too much dye, it's gonna jump the line and cross over into someplace where you didn't want it. If you dont have enough dye, it wont travel far from the brush. So it's something you need to practice with on scrap but it's the way that works for me to get into most tiny corners. I usually make a mess if I try to get the tip of a brush right into those tiny corners. This doesn't work with acrylic paint, but has worked for me with spirit based dyes.

Or, cut out the background (filigree) and back it with black. Maybe duplicate the background look with a marbled-texture skin? 'Course, ya gotta line it...

But, Donny's right - that belt looks great.

sharpie.

I've used sharpie on small areas, but that's a lot of black. A small pointed brush might be easier.

Keep a scrap piece handy when you dye. Dip the brush, touching the side of the bottle to wipe some of the excess dye off (be careful not to splatter), then touch the brush to the flesh side of the scrap to bleed a little more of the excess off. Then touch the brush to the part of the piece you want to dye. Start in the center of a larger area and when your brush feels like its getting close to being re-dipped, find a small area to use the last little bit of dye remaining in the brush. Keeps bleeding to a minimum. Hope this helps.

Thanks folks, I have been doing the small brush, just that sometimes I get too much dye in it. The sharpie for small areas sounds very interesting!

Thanks again

Donnie