JoeNots

How do i smooth the flesh side?

I'm trying to smooth out all the fuzzy flesh on the back of a belt. Cananyone help me to figure this out?? I've tried sanding but it seems toget close but not all the way down.

any advice would be super helpful.

Thanks,

Joe

2010-01-12 22.42.45.jpg

ccxcr belt 1.jpg

post-8047-12633654376_thumb.jpg

post-8047-126336578259_thumb.jpg

ing

I'm trying to smooth out all the fuzzy flesh on the back of a belt. Cananyone help me to figure this out?? I've tried sanding but it seems toget close but not all the way down.

any advice would be super helpful.

Thanks,

Joe

Yes, that is a pretty fuzzy backside. I'll bet ya the next time you buy a belt blank, you will check the back. I, myself would run it through my splitter and shave the "fuzzy" off, but I would guess you don't have a splitter. Have you tried using a skiving tool or skife to shave the fuzz off. A freshly broken piece of glass with the non-working edges covered with tape would also work. A scraper used by woodworkers for fine finishing may also work well.

Some belt makers also coat the backside of a belt with Gum Tragacanth after they have edged and burnished the belt ege. They then burnish this with a scrap of canvas to produce a slicker belt.

Edited by WyomingSlick

ing

Yes, that is a pretty fuzzy backside. I'll bet ya the next time you buy a belt blank, you will check the back. I, myself would run it through my splitter and shave the "fuzzy" off, but I would guess you don't have a splitter. Have you tried using a skiving tool or skife to shave the fuzz off. A freshly broken piece of glass with the non-working edges covered with tape would also work. A scraper used by woodworkers for fine finishing may also work well.

Some belt makers also coat the backside of a belt with Gum Tragacanth after they have edged and burnished the belt ege. They then burnish this with a scrap of canvas to produce a slicker belt.

Thanks, I'll try the glass. you're right i don't have a splitter, still build up my tools. I don't use belt blanks though, too brittle & they aren't made by me.

Thanks for your help, i'll post a picture after i've finished the belt.

I got some fine results when I used ecoflo black antique on the fleshside. I only used a sponge and smeared it on in one direction, think like combing the fibres down to visualize. Then I put on some leathersheen to bind it further and keep it from rubbing off.

Tom

I'm using the stone under your belt for a background on my next project (THANKS!) :)

I'm using the stone under your belt for a background on my next project (THANKS!) :)

your welcome? not sure i get it.

Zack White sells some real nice leather with smooth pasted backs, I usually get there premium bull hide

You might try using some paste saddle soap and some heavy canvas and basically burnish the back side.

You might try using some paste saddle soap and some heavy canvas and basically burnish the back side.

Thanks! A friend told me to try gum trag after using the edger & dying, then to the edges. have you tried this? or anyone?

Thanks for all the help!

Joe

Thanks! A friend told me to try gum trag after using the edger & dying, then to the edges. have you tried this? or anyone?

Thanks for all the help!

Joe

I've used gum trag for years.

I have a mitt I made to slick the sides and back.

I think it's best to work the fibers down from the tongue end to the buckle end.

It'll facilitate passing the belt through the loops.

It's probably best to stay away from blanks like this when you can.

All the work you've done on it could be wasted when the belt goes raggy in a few years.

Just my two cents.

I've used gum trag for years.

I have a mitt I made to slick the sides and back.

I think it's best to work the fibers down from the tongue end to the buckle end.

It'll facilitate passing the belt through the loops.

It's probably best to stay away from blanks like this when you can.

All the work you've done on it could be wasted when the belt goes raggy in a few years.

Just my two cents.

Thank you. What did you make the mitt out of if you don't mine me asking? would using a slicker with the gum trag be better than denim or canvas? Thanks again

Of course. I should have mentioned what the mitt was made of. Sorry.

It's cordura. But canvas or denim work real well, especially after if begins to get "loaded".

And yes a slicker would work well. I use a cocobolo saddlers slicker sometimes.

When I want a really smooth edge on my soles and heel bases, I'll work it over with wet dry sand paper.

The key ingrediant is elbow grease.

I think it's all matter of how much time do you want to spend "makeing love to the edges".

Just remember to relax the mucsels you aren't using.

Hi, Joe:

The best advice you've received so far is to check both sides of the leather when you're making an unlined belt in the future. I made the same mistake a while back, and ended up spending a lot of time skiving the surface to shave off the fuzz. But as Paul mentioned, the rough surface is likely to return over time even if you use gum tragacanth or some other surface treatment. You've received some good advice on remedies... Good luck, and be sure to post images of your work when you're finished.

Best regards, -Alex

:16::17::16: There is one thing to always keep in mind is looking at your hide before buying it. In essence start at the source. What you are encountering is like as not the belly of the beast. Sometimes you can't avoid it but you can plan for it when you're cutting out for the project. Not only is the flesh side of the belly all stringy but that part of the cow has a tendency to be much more stretchy. So if you are not careful the act of your tooling out a piece will deform the shape of what you are tooling or stamping on. For the most part I use a apply clear Scotch Storage Long Lasting tape to the back before I do anything to the piece. When I am finished I then wait until it is totally dry. When I  remove it the tape I lay the piece face down and then pull the tape off the leather. Most of the time if you are buying a brlt blank at Tandy the back will be clean and smooth.

Storm

Not only is the flesh side of the belly all stringy but that part of the cow has a tendency to be much more stretchy.

I don't mean to keep piling onto this thread innocent.gif , but what Storm mentions reminds me of another mistake I made with this same belt. The fuzzy end is probably belly leather and will stretch... If you have a choice, make sure this end is the buckle end. Otherwise, you'll see -- as I did -- that your holes will deform (as will your tooling) as you wear your belt over time.