johnnysignor

Leather Military Flying Unit Patches

Hello members and forum viewers, I'm an avid WW2 military aviation unit emblem design researcher , I have about 25 years into this very Fascinating work !

I have books and self gathered information on WW2 USAAF/USN/USMC emblems that were worn by both Pilots and crewman of this era, I specialize in recreating on leather these very colorful and at times Funny and others very serious or "Risque" depending on the unit etc.

I have had the opportunity in my work to meet many of "The Greatest Generation" of the veterans of WW2, I am happy to be able to make them thier "specific" unit emblem, and the most rewarding thing is not the $ but the times I've been called by phone of recieved a letter from a veteran nearly in tears over the patch as it was a "memory" for them of thier days then-or of a lost friend/crewman etc,or they were just so happy to have it as they are very hard to find/and expensive if it is an original !

I have made thousands of various patches and enjoy this very much, I especially appreciate what all the veterans went through and did for us in WW2 , they are Truely "The Greatest Generation" to say the least !!!!!!!!!

welcome. you should post some of them. I sell the embroidered patches but limited to what my distributers have. I have an embroidery machine but not the digitizing program I need to recreate the patches. hope to see them. Bronc/Bonnie

johnnysignor,

Welcome to the forum. My father was in the Army Air Corp near the end of WWII. Those old patches are works of art. Some of their designs are making it back into USAF patches today. I look forward to seeing some of our work. I think you will find that this is a very interesting group of folks with lots of different interests. Again Welcome.

BillB

Hello all members and thanks BillB for your comments and the posting of some photos of my patches in the leather Gallery section of this forum !!!!!!

I really enjoy making these emblems , and as you say BillB a lot of them are making a comeback into the modern USAF as what are called "Friday" or "Heritage" patches and I'm glad to see they care enough about thier older unit lineages to bring them back too !

There were many emblems done up via Disney studios artist along with WB and United features Syndicates , to name a few ,many a unit had Bugs B or Mickey M riding along on missions with them,and others had very provocative female forms adorning thier aircraft and or jackets !

Other emblem were very serious in thier nature of death and destruction, but all in all a very Fascinating part of the WW-2 era history that I still am finding new designs and others to track down colors and or an ID of what the emblem was !!!!!

I hope the site members and anyone loggin on will take the time to view my photos in the Gallery section, I'm sure you'll enjoy seeing them, a good day to all !

Johnny

Edited by johnnysignor

Hello all members and thanks BillB for your comments and the posting of some photos of my patches in the leather Gallery section of this forum !!!!!!

I really enjoy making these emblems , and as you say BillB a lot of them are making a comeback into the modern USAF as what are called "Friday" or "Heritage" patches and I'm glad to see they care enough about thier older unit lineages to bring them back too !

There were many emblems done up via Disney studios artist along with WB and United features Syndicates , to name a few ,many a unit had Bugs B or Mickey M riding along on missions with them,and others had very provocative female forms adorning thier aircraft and or jackets !

Other emblem were very serious in thier nature of death and destruction, but all in all a very Fascinating part of the WW-2 era history that I still am finding new designs and others to track down colors and or an ID of what the emblem was !!!!!

I hope the site members and anyone loggin on will take the time to view my photos in the Gallery section, I'm sure you'll enjoy seeing them, a good day to all !

Johnny

Johnny

My husband was in WWII in the European campaign as a Radio Operator(CNS) 759. What information do you need to make a patch for me to surprise him with. He happens to be at the capital in Jeff City as we speak for one of the honor flight luncheons for Missouri. the battles and campaigns were Air Off Europe Rhineland C Europe Ardennes No France Normandy. Is this anything you make?

Cindy

Welcome !

its a real treat to have you on board i look forward to more from you.

Josh

Hello Johnny,

Welcome to the board,sound like your doing a great thing keeping up with history like that.

Bob

Where are your pics? In my younger years, I painted several avaition jackets in the styles of WW II. I am really interested in seeing your work.

have you made any patches for "watson's wizzers"? that has always been one of my favorite stores/units since i was a kid hanging out with my fathers associates...

wizzers link #1

wizzers link #2

eric

About 20 or so years ago I painted my father's "A-2" type jacket to resemble one of the jackets worn by one of the Watson's Wizzers, from a B&W photo that I had. It turned out good, he still wears it.