JRedding

Hello Everyone,

Found this forum a couple of weeks ago and haven't had time to fill it out. My wife and I run a small saddle shop in Northeastern, Utah and thought we would share some photo's of our recent work with you. We know how much you like pictures. Hope it works.

Cheyenne_sdl1_copy.jpg

Cheyenne_top_copy.jpg

H.jpg

post-5526-1200117148_thumb.jpg

post-5526-1200117374_thumb.jpg

post-5526-1200117715_thumb.jpg

Let me be the first to welcome you aboard. All nice work! Saddle looks very nice. Knife work everywhere looks very nice and tooling looks great. I like the lines of the square skirts as well. Quilted inliad seat is a little unique as well. Once again welcome aboard. Look forward to more of your work.

Regards,

Ben

JR, that's beautiful, I love it.

Ken

Welcome to the forum JR, BEAUTIFUL looking saddle, the carvings are exquisite, and I think that extra touch on the inside of the belts really sets them off.

Now call me stupid if ya want, but what exactly are those bump thingies on the front of the saddle for?

Ken

Beaverslayer, They're buckin' rolls, used to add swell to a slickfork saddle, and thanks for the compliment. Sorry about the one saddle photo it had to be shrunk a lot to post and it pixeled out a little

Edited by JRedding

Quick question.... What did you do around the 40th Anniversary?

Regards,

Ben

Ben, I just background between and inside the letters, and rock my bar grounder up on one end and lightly chase around the outside of the letters

Hi JR welcome to the forum that is some realy nice work, Don

Ben, I just background between and inside the letters, and rock my bar grounder up on one end and lightly chase around the outside of the letters

I like it! Thanks.

Regards,

Ben

Gorgeous! Your tooling style is really nice - I love your decorative cuts!

JR, I'm glad you figured out posting pictures, your work is gorgeous. Do you draw your own scroll designs? I like the way the curls flow. The detail is so rich, lovely work. Thanks for sharing.

Johanna

JR, this work is not only "NICE", it's world class workmanship... I can only look with awe....

Nice to have you here showing your work.

Bob

WOW! that's it. just... WOW!

JR, I'm glad you figured out posting pictures, your work is gorgeous. Do you draw your own scroll designs? I like the way the curls flow. The detail is so rich, lovely work. Thanks for sharing.

Johanna

thanks Johanna for the help last night, and thanks for the nice compliment. I do draw all my own patterns the old way freehand to fit.

Very high quality work. very nice decoritive cuts on bucking rolls and cantel binding, looks very challenging to do.Your tooling is excellent, excellent scroll work, excellent under and overlaps of the vines at the transition points, with very little background work. what type off tree?, what kind of leather?

steve

JRedding,

Nice work, welcome to the board. Looking forward to more of your work.

Very high quality work. very nice decoritive cuts on bucking rolls and cantel binding, looks very challenging to do.Your tooling is excellent, excellent scroll work, excellent under and overlaps of the vines at the transition points, with very little background work. what type off tree?, what kind of leather?

steve

Steve, the tree is a Weatherly, I had it made with a "thin" cantle a little more like you used to see on the old Visalia brand saddles,the treemaker I use hates to do it for me they're a little more difficult to build and cover, especially that tall. And the leather is Hermann Oak. Thanks for all the positive words.

This is good!

I'm guessing that your laying your stem down first then adding the flower. Am I right?

David Genadek

David, I draw in all my flowers they are the primary element I want to see so they're first, the leaves and a few extras are the second and everything else is just filler, simple as that. I'm completely self-taught and I hate anything that's complicated so if I can do it I usually have found a fairly simple way.

David, I draw in all my flowers they are the primary element I want to see so they're first, the leaves and a few extras are the second and everything else is just filler, simple as that. I'm completely self-taught and I hate anything that's complicated so if I can do it I usually have found a fairly simple way.

Your doing an amazing job using that method. It is about a 100 times easier to lay the stem down first. If you can imagine putting all the punctuation down for a paragraph then writing the sentences you can understand how you are doing it now. The stems are the sentances and flowers are the punctuation. If you write the sentance first you have a lot more control.

I just lay down a series of scrolls to work out the proportions of the design (I see that as my primary element) then I draw in the flowers then put in the fill. Clearly you have an inate design sense because you have created natural proportions using a technique that makes it nearly impossible to acheave. Give the other way go and you might scare your self. It is a lot funner too.

David Genadek

Absolutely incredible work. As a beginner, work like yours is simply inspiring.

Your doing an amazing job using that method. It is about a 100 times easier to lay the stem down first. If you can imagine putting all the punctuation down for a paragraph then writing the sentences you can understand how you are doing it now. The stems are the sentances and flowers are the punctuation. If you write the sentance first you have a lot more control.

I just lay down a series of scrolls to work out the proportions of the design (I see that as my primary element) then I draw in the flowers then put in the fill. Clearly you have an inate design sense because you have created natural proportions using a technique that makes it nearly impossible to acheave. Give the other way go and you might scare your self. It is a lot funner too.

David Genadek

Well, I did fail English a couple times in school. I think I may have misled you, I believe we're practicing the same method, except I refer to that part as flow lines and I didn't tell you that. My mistake. If that seems unorthodox someday we'll talk about my opinion on casing leather that I hear so much about on here.

Edited by JRedding

Well, I did fail English a couple times in school. I think I may have misled you, I believe we're practicing the same method, except I refer to that part as flow lines and I didn't tell you that. My mistake.
Yep the flow line is the stem. I'm relieved, your not scarey now. David GenadekI did bad in English too.I did bad in English too.