AndyL1

Setting Up Shop On Etsy

Hey All,

So I though it was about time to get something going on this hobby of mine. I created a shop on Etsy and I just wanted to share. I'm still setting things up like Profile Info (it's hard to write about yourself!) and some listings... but at least I have the Banner done!

Check it out:

My Etsy

Feedback appreciated.

Cheers,

Andy

Let us know when you have your store set up. I am interested in seeing what you come up with.

Let us know when you have your store set up. I am interested in seeing what you come up with.

Joe,

Etsy sites tend to be pretty standard & uniform in their format: profile, shop policies, favorites, feedback, request custom item, sales, among other things, & then you have 'sections in this shop', where you list the items you have for sale. Etsy sites are not like websites, in that they are not highly individualized like websites. Etsy is more like a 'by the numbers' listing of things for sale. There are Etsy sites that have very amateurish items for sale & there are Etsy sites with very high quality items for sale, but their format is basically the same.

Nice graphic, Andy. I hope you do really well.

I'd like to hear from people who have had success selling through an Etsy site. I'm at the end of my tether with eBay. I have gone from being an enthusiast to a fierce opponent of their draconian regulations and high handed ways.

Etsy looks a lot more approachable but does it work?

Ray

Nice graphic, Andy. I hope you do really well.

I'd like to hear from people who have had success selling through an Etsy site. I'm at the end of my tether with eBay. I have gone from being an enthusiast to a fierce opponent of their draconian regulations and high handed ways.

Ray

Thanks Ray! I never even looked into selling on eBay as I've only heard bad news. Etsy seems more suited for selling crafts and art because...well... that's what the site was built for. The listing and sale fees are very small: 20 US cents for a four month listing and a 3.5% take on sales. Very reasonable in my book. I will use Etsy for a while until I build my own site, but once that is up I may keep the Etsy shop up as another way to advertise, I mean considering how low the cost is.

-Andy

Get Tina to chime in here, I remember she had a Etsy site at-least for a little while.

Dont think it could be any worse then ebay.

Ray

Ray:

We sell through Etsy. It's not a humongeous moneymaker for us, because I don't really want it to be, but we do sell enough that we have to shut it down during shows (Each of our items is unique, in addition to being hand made/ hand crafted.) I'm trying to keep the business steady & fun, and not grinding, like a 'real job'. While we do make some duplicates of our best selling items, we don't really have a big stock, so we shut the site down during our show season because we don't want to sell the stuff we plan to take there. We are shut down for May, but will be up again for June & July (no shows scheduled) & then down again for August, September & October. The good thing (& the advantage of Etsy) is that it brings in a few steady $$ during our non-show Winter months when it's slow, when we're trying to make for the next round of shows beginning in the Spring. I guess, from previous posts, that some members don't do well on Etsy, but we do OK, and, more importantly, it is an additional way to get our name out there. Likewise, we don't sell directly through our website- if you click on an item, it'll link you to our Etsy site.

(I for one would never try to sell our finished items on ebay- I just don't think it's the right venue for crafted items, IMHO.)

russ

I have had a shop on Etsy for just over two years now, and am very pleased with the sales. It could use some improvement, but that is pretty minor compared to the overall workings of it. Etsy literally made my leather mask business what it is. And it is so cheap and easy to try it out. Highly recommended!

http://tombanwell.etsy.com

I got my start on ebay, and it did a great service for me. I`v been thinking about listing on etsy, however I`m not sure I would get as many views as I do on the bay therefore etsy might not be worth my time. I do have a website and currently do still list on the bay a select few of my products every month for a small fee, it`s great advertizment, my goal is to drive traffic to my website from ebay. I have my logo at the bottom of the ebay ads, If you click on it you`ll see what happens.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...4=263602_263622

Thanks...MC

Macinistchest i went to your site, why do you have sign in with a password ? I wanted to look around but i didn't want to go through the hassle of having another password to remember.

Andy i just went to your esty site and i didn't see anything for sale. What do i need to click to see your stuff ?

Andy i just went to your esty site and i didn't see anything for sale. What do i need to click to see your stuff ?

I still have to post some listings. The store is very brand-new so in the meantime I'm directing people to my Deviant Art gallery.

Stay tuned!

-Andy

Macinistchest i went to your site, why do you have sign in with a password ? I wanted to look around but i didn't want to go through the hassle of having another password to remember.

Dirtclod, Thanks for the heads up. I don`t know why that`s happening .It`s not even necessary to log in or register to buy something. I`ll have my webmaster check that out.

here`s a direct link. Can y`all let me know if this is happening to anyone else?

www.machinistchest.com

Thanks again John

Edited by machinistchest

Well just some numbers to compare. Ebay has 83 million members, Etsy has 650 thousand..MC

The volume of traffic alone may not tell the whole story. Etsy targets a more specific market than Ebay, those seeking handmade work and are willing to pay for it, which we as leatherworkers are uniquely qualified to cater to.

Kate

Be sure to list good quality stuff.

You probably do not want a mention on www.regretsy.com

Be sure to list good quality stuff.

You probably do not want a mention on www.regretsy.com

For sure. I could spend hours browsing Regretsy! So funny!