jamesg63

Strange Request

I was approached with a odd request the other day. A customer wants some FISHING REEL covers. Has anyone here ever made these? I searched on line but cant really get a good pic. I'd appreciate any advice or help you all have to offer. Thanks in advance.

I've not ever made one but I would suggest that you get a fishing reel in hand rather than trying to work from a picture.

Ann

Prob'ly make a difference if he wants to cover them on the rod (as in protect them from sunlight and brush) or put them away for the season off the rod. I've seen these for storing -- looks almost like a pistol case. On the rod you'd probably want the reels he has in mind for dimensions. Stohlman had a reel case in one of his "Art of Leather Cases" books. Or, you could check here.

I believe James Acord makes them but I don't think he is a member here and I'm not sure if that is the style you are going for or not as his seem to be for flyfishing. The Art of Leather cases books would definately be a help in this case.

Cheers,

Clair

Clair gave you a great book and web resource. You can find his website here. James Acord

He has cases for rods, reels, fly fishing rigs and other items as well.

Regards,

Ben

Clair gave you a great book and web resource. You can find his website here. James Acord

He has cases for rods, reels, fly fishing rigs and other items as well.

Regards,

Ben

Hopefully your customer wants a FLYREEL case. Those are easy, relatively speaking. It's a short cylinder, big enough for the reel to lay in plus room for part that attaches to the rod. The ones I have are zippered around maybe 85% of the cylinder (it's the round side that opens up).

Sparks

I years gone by, . . . reel covers were more like reel boxes. We just sold one at our church yard sale over the weekend, with a 50 year old Shakespeare bait casting reel.

It was about 5 inches long, 3 inches high, and 3 inches wide. It was shaped like an unside down "U", . . . and the bottom 2 inches of the walls were perfectly straight up and down.

There were only three pieces to the whole project, . . . one piece was the top and the walls, . . . the second piece made up both ends and the bottom, . . . the third piece was a strap which went to a brass ball button to keep the open end closed.

The ends were formed to the shape of the "U" with extra so the one end could be sewn to the top and sides, and the other end would be the cap that opened and closed. The bottom of the sides were sewn to the second piece of leather.

It looked like about 8 or 9 oz leather, . . . wish I had taken a picture of it now, . . . didn't think of it at the time.

May God bless,

Dwight