Tkleather1

Chinks Hot Off The Press

well sorry it nothing new but here are a simple pair of chinks that just got finished this afternoon. H.O. Yokes and sides and the bodies are a brown oil tan from the hide house. Not a whole lot goin on on these just a simple set.

Tell me what you like and what you dont.

Tim Worley

TK-Leather

post-9593-025128500 1281321386_thumb.jpg

Tim

Nice work as always. I think that simple is great. sometime for me we try to hard to fill up smaller things and take a way from the function but that is me. I know who ever gets these will be very pleased with the way they turn out.

Mark

Nice job. sometimes its nice to do a simple project. less work. lol!! Bronc

I agree with both of you. The gal that gets them is already very very excited haha. Thanks for the comments Mark and Bonnie

Tim, thanks for the post & pics. They reminded me of a question I had.

We watched our annual "Horse Parade" last Sunday, it is a lead in for our local county fair. There was a group of gals (apparently a riding club of some sort) and all but the rear most two were wearing chinks. So were a couple of guys in the parade.

All of the chinks seemed to end right at the knees or maybe 2 inches below, with only the fringe hanging below that.

Question: When, where, and why would a person wear chaps, . . . and why would they change to chinks?

Anyway, just curious.

May God bless,

Dwight

Well it is all a matter of what type of terrain you would be riding in and what weather you might encounter.

well sorry it nothing new but here are a simple pair of chinks that just got finished this afternoon. H.O. Yokes and sides and the bodies are a brown oil tan from the hide house. Not a whole lot goin on on these just a simple set.

Tell me what you like and what you dont.

Tim Worley

TK-Leather

post-9593-025128500 1281321386_thumb.jpg

Nice job Tim. A good working set of chinks!

Tim, thanks for the post & pics. They reminded me of a question I had.

We watched our annual "Horse Parade" last Sunday, it is a lead in for our local county fair. There was a group of gals (apparently a riding club of some sort) and all but the rear most two were wearing chinks. So were a couple of guys in the parade.

All of the chinks seemed to end right at the knees or maybe 2 inches below, with only the fringe hanging below that.

Question: When, where, and why would a person wear chaps, . . . and why would they change to chinks?

Anyway, just curious.

May God bless,

Dwight

Dwight....chaps are worn to protect your legs and in some cases the side of the horse as well. When riding through thick brush and cactus while working cattle here in Arizona, chaps are essential to protect your thighs knees and calves. Chinks are worn more in country where a little less protection is required.

Thanks for the information, hidepounder, . . . I had it thought out that way, . . . but not being a cowboy, . . . ya just gotta ask the question if you want the answer.

May God bless,

Dwight

Dwight,

To add to Bob's and Tim's answers a little, some outfits in NM and AZ will use chinks in the summertime with hightop boots to be a little cooler. Most of the ones around us used chaps all year long to bust through mesquites and cactus. All the places that we rode for and helped wore chaps all year long but I did know of a couple of outfits where they used chinks in the summertime. I have personally seen cholla get caught in the fringe on more than one occasion when chasing animals and busting through those cactus. Therefore it would not be my preference even in the summertime if I were working cattle in the mesquite/cactus terrain. I am not sure I would like oak thickets poking at me as well. However riding on a 100 degree plus day would be a nice time to not have chaps on either. It also seemed like most of the desert hands preferred batwing chaps but when I went to work for an outfit in the mountains of NM most of the people wore shotgun chaps and a couple of the hands wore chinks except in the winter time. The man that I worked for had come from Colorado and had several pair of chinks but never wore them. One of his kids did use them in the summertime except when we rode one specific pasture that had a lot of cactus in it. His son then used a pair of shotgun chaps that he used mostly in the wintertime. His Dad's preference was shotgun chaps all year long.

The first time that I saw chinks en masse was when I was working for them and we went to help a rancher who purchased a ranch near us (actually he lived in British Columbia) and also owned land in Canada. All of his hands wore chinks. It was also my first indoctrination into Wade saddles. They were certainly different than anything I had ever seen at the ripe old age of 17 at the time. Lots of water under the bridge since that time.

So like Tim said weather and terrain come into play as well as regional preferences.

Regards,

Ben

P.S. Tim --- Nice working chinks!

Edited by gtwister09

Thanks guys I appreciate the kind words.