I did several searches on "awl" and "stitch awl" and got 0 results, so excuse me if this has been addressed before.

I've been using the small scratch awl that Tandy sells with reasonable success, but I would prefer smaller stitch holes. I bought one of the cheap Tandy (not the one with the thread bobbin) stitch awls (which I somehow missed when I bought the scratch awl) the other day. I promptly broke the blade, and promptly broke the remainder when I attempted to remount it in another handle.

I'm looking for a reasonably priced stitch awl that's not so insanely hard to the point of brittleness. I thought I'd seen somebody mention the Tandy awls BENDING. Perhaps this is their "fix".

I've got a few projects to finish up, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have been using the osbourn awls that tandy sells with some success. You will have to polish them though and make sure the point is nice and sharp and probably reshape them a bit to your liking. I did anyways. Also when stitching thicker leather like on a holster or sheath I will stab some bees wax about every 4 hole or so. This helps it glide in easier.

For really thick leather I must admit I will resort to a small drill in a dremel to aid in getting the holes done up correctly.

As far as nicer awls there are several that I want to get in the future but they arent cheap as far as awls go but from what I hear worth every penny.

I have been using the osbourn awls that tandy sells with some success. You will have to polish them though and make sure the point is nice and sharp and probably reshape them a bit to your liking. I did anyways. Also when stitching thicker leather like on a holster or sheath I will stab some bees wax about every 4 hole or so. This helps it glide in easier.

For really thick leather I must admit I will resort to a small drill in a dremel to aid in getting the holes done up correctly.

As far as nicer awls there are several that I want to get in the future but they arent cheap as far as awls go but from what I hear worth every penny.

Those are the ones with the interchangeable hafts, right? They seem to have two hafts. Which one would you recommend?

Thanks.

Those are the ones with the interchangeable hafts, right? They seem to have two hafts. Which one would you recommend?

Thanks.

I have two of Bob Douglas Awls plus the haft. Amazing piece of equipment. Do not hesitate to spend your hard earned money for these awls.

ferg

My vote is for Bob Douglas also, although you can save a bit by using Bobs awl in a Barry King haft, about 1/2 the price

If you are on a budget you might try the Osborne #CSO44-2 which I use for a lot of hand sewing. If you are real pickie you can buy a slightly larger one like the CSO45 and dress it down on you sharpening stone. The best stitching awls are the ones that you have made a million holes with. By that I mean they get better with use and are alway at there best right before they break. I recently broke an old awl point I had used for years, it was a sad moment when I had to toss it and start useing a new one in my favorite handle...... Jeff

Another vote for the Bob Douglas.....at first I hesitated parting with the $$, but after enough frustration with the cheap stuff, I decided to get a Bob Douglas and I'm sure glad I did.

Since the awl is my most used tool, I figured I should have the good stuff.

If you are on a budget you might try the Osborne #CSO44-2

Whom do you recommend as an online source and what haft would you use?

Thanks.

Another vote for the Bob Douglas.....at first I hesitated parting with the $, but after enough frustration with the cheap stuff, I decided to get a Bob Douglas and I'm sure glad I did.

Since the awl is my most used tool, I figured I should have the good stuff.

Assuming there's a future in this, I plan to gradually replace the cheap stuff with good stuff. I just can't afford to buy all good stuff at one time without any assurance that this is going to be anything more than a way to make holsters just for myself.

Assuming there's a future in this, I plan to gradually replace the cheap stuff with good stuff. I just can't afford to buy all good stuff at one time without any assurance that this is going to be anything more than a way to make holsters just for myself.

I understand completely, it took me 10 years to wear out the inexpensive awl I used....then when I went to the same store to replace it, I found that they had actually downgraded in quality....that's when I made the decision to invest in a custom made one.

But I agree with your rationale.

Edited by Rayban

Does anyone know of any stores in the Cleveland area with a good selection of leatherworking tools besides Tandy?