Studio-N

Mud Flap Girl

How's this for an American icon. 1.25" high, engraved delrin stamp.

How's this for an American icon. 1.25" high, engraved delrin stamp.

those are fake. LOL

those are fake. LOL

Well Yeah - I said it was delrin. :head_hurts_kr:

I have a small cnc milling machine. I think it would be cool to make my own stamps, but I'm not sure what software would be the way to go for creating something like that, as well as what kind of cutter would be needed. Most of my work is milling metal, and nothing detailed.

Chris

I have a small cnc milling machine. I think it would be cool to make my own stamps, but I'm not sure what software would be the way to go for creating something like that, as well as what kind of cutter would be needed. Most of my work is milling metal, and nothing detailed.

Chris

You can use the same endmills for wood and delrin. The smaller the better for detail work. Just watch the speed on the delrin so you don't melt it. Cuemakers routinely use the same mills for both materials. Easiest is just to throw some on the machine and see what happens. You can use Corel and save it to dxf for your cad program. Plenty of places on the net to help you with that but here is one woodworkers forum with an engraving section that surely will be able to answer every and any question related to CNC engraving. There are also free solutions out there like Inkscape which can save to DXF and PLT files. Most stamps are simple geometric shapes for which there are thousands of free examples to get you started. You want SVG files or any form of VECTOR art if you can get it. Once you learn the vector programs a little then it's pretty easy to do the simple stamps.

www.sawmillcreek.org

Since you do already do metal work then the essentially the smallest bits you can find for the detail work would be what you want for the metal stamps.

This is where it gets complicated;

PA150464.JPG

For this stamp we probably did 10 versions before we figured it out. This stamp was made using something like delrin on a laser.

Anyway, good luck. I wish I had a small CNC milling maching........ :-) Oh well, a new die press and long arm sewing machine are next on the list and then I can think about something else.

Never thought of making stamps by myself , but you bring me on a great idea:Lighten: .

My hubbies bussiness is in the metal , we have several cnc milling machines.

My eldest son starts this year his masterclass Cnc miller , so if he has his software , he can program my stamps and mill them.

The only problem is that they don't like the small work and all the milling machines are really huge. So I cross my fingers .

Ask him it this evening:head_hurts_kr:

I just saw the topic by Cowboy Don on his mud flap girl wallet. Great job! I really like the way the 'girls' are embossed outward versus the pressed in silohuette I did here. I think if I simply invert the artwork I will get the same effect. Sounds like a revision is in order. I liked the devil tail as well.

This is a new version of the stamp which has the girl left raised rather than impressed. And I added some texture around it.

That is Nice.......I like it...

She's a nice stamp either way, but I think I like the second version better than the first.

You can use the same endmills for wood and delrin. The smaller the better for detail work. Just watch the speed on the delrin so you don't melt it. Cuemakers routinely use the same mills for both materials. Easiest is just to throw some on the machine and see what happens. You can use Corel and save it to dxf for your cad program. Plenty of places on the net to help you with that but here is one woodworkers forum with an engraving section that surely will be able to answer every and any question related to CNC engraving. There are also free solutions out there like Inkscape which can save to DXF and PLT files. Most stamps are simple geometric shapes for which there are thousands of free examples to get you started. You want SVG files or any form of VECTOR art if you can get it. Once you learn the vector programs a little then it's pretty easy to do the simple stamps.

www.sawmillcreek.org

Since you do already do metal work then the essentially the smallest bits you can find for the detail work would be what you want for the metal stamps.

This is where it gets complicated;

PA150464.JPG

For this stamp we probably did 10 versions before we figured it out. This stamp was made using something like delrin on a laser.

Anyway, good luck. I wish I had a small CNC milling maching........ :-) Oh well, a new die press and long arm sewing machine are next on the list and then I can think about something else.

Thank you for all the info. I appreciate the help. I have a degree in CAD and I do actually have inkscape on my computer here. I just never thought about using it for stamp design. I'm going to have to look around and see what I can find in the way of tiny endmills. The smallest I have is 1/16", which seems small, until you start trying to make something like a makers stamp with it. hahaha

Chris

PS. Great looking work.

Thank you for all the info. I appreciate the help. I have a degree in CAD and I do actually have inkscape on my computer here. I just never thought about using it for stamp design. I'm going to have to look around and see what I can find in the way of tiny endmills. The smallest I have is 1/16", which seems small, until you start trying to make something like a makers stamp with it. hahaha

Chris

PS. Great looking work.

Chris:

I'd rough out the profile with a larger end mill, but use an engraver for the detail. Google "engraving cutters" or "engraving bits" .

- Dan

Chris:

I'd rough out the profile with a larger end mill, but use an engraver for the detail. Google "engraving cutters" or "engraving bits" .

- Dan

Thanks Dan.

Chris

She's a nice stamp either way, but I think I like the second version better than the first.

thanks Ann. I made this for a friend, and then thought to myself, "You can't have the right facing without the left", so immediately made the mirror images for him. He's cranking out some wristbands and what can I say..they look great. Cheers!