Spinner

Edge Burnisher For Dremels

Hey Richard - I got your PM so you are already on the list...we're good to go

Ghostrider - not a problem, I'll add ya

Big O - I'll see what I can do about those sizes. Shouldn't be an issue.

Panther - Will do. I'd be interested in seeing the pictures.

Bevan - You're cracking me up. I'll add ya to the list and let you know on the postage. If you can send me a message with your city/state/postal code info I can get an estimate for you when I'm at the post office next week.

I haven't even received the first shipment of bits and I already need to order more...you folks are turning this into a job! LOL :coffeecomp:

another variation of this would be with a drill that you could chock these in, i have a 1/4 " nut and bolt in my edge slicker from tandy, i throw that in my drill and get very good results.

Will you ship to UK? If so I'll take two, one of each size, PM prices and I'll pay thru Paypal. Cheers in advance..

Will you ship to UK? If so I'll take two, one of each size, PM prices and I'll pay thru Paypal. Cheers in advance..

Hey Shoemaker, I already have some slated to go to Sweden and Puerto Rico so the UK is no problem. I'll add you to the list.

Chris

Spinner

Here is the photo of the one I told you about.Still want one of yours when you start making them.

Panther

Hey Panther, Now I remember, I have seen the big one on LW before I believe. Thanks for the photos.

I had thought about getting one of those but then thought later I wanted something less bulky for the dremel since it's at my desk and the drills, etc. are outside in the shop.

You struck the jackpot with this one spinner. Four pages and still growing. You need to make sure that it does not take over your life and put your leatherwork on hold. I used one on my dremel a few years ago but it was too fast and burnt the leather so I gave it a miss. When my father was alive some twenty years ago he made one from the motor on a Singer Sewing Machine complete with foot pedal which gave him "hands free" operation. I've been on the lookout for one ever since but with no luck. It probably means buying a new dremel with a slow speed. Can anyone advise me on the best model Dremel.

Regards

tap tap tap

we are on the same road but a turn around of items. in my case i was looking for a dremel, but with scarcity here of working tools i resorted to the singer motor your talking about since its readily available here. there are other brands better than singer. and yes, they came with a pedal. its great the speed is just ok. the problem i have with is i am looking for a way to either open it so i can device something inside to hold the burnishing shank of spinner. or maybe cut the small chuck from my multi screw driver handle and weld it to the motor shank so i can hold any size shank. and another option is to drill a hole at the side of the motor shank and insert the burnisher shank and screw it from the side just like how a swivel knife barrel holds the blade. for now i need to see what will hold spinners burnishing shank on this motor, i might order from spinner like everyone here. great looking wheels. kudos to spinner.

Edited by sheridanman

You struck the jackpot with this one spinner. Four pages and still growing. You need to make sure that it does not take over your life and put your leatherwork on hold. I used one on my dremel a few years ago but it was too fast and burnt the leather so I gave it a miss. When my father was alive some twenty years ago he made one from the motor on a Singer Sewing Machine complete with foot pedal which gave him "hands free" operation. I've been on the lookout for one ever since but with no luck. It probably means buying a new dremel with a slow speed. Can anyone advise me on the best model Dremel.

Regards

Actually, many of the new Dremels have a variable speed control knob. I found that using these at around the #5 mark (half speed) works pretty nicely.

Harbor Frieght and many of the other bulk tool stores have knock off brands for half the price that work equally well for this sort of thing. The other trick I found is to rub a thin coat of wax on the edge before burnishing so it slicks without burning.

I sent out PMs and emails to those interested. Unfortunately I ran out of PMs allowed for the day, so if you didn't get a message I'll send the info tomorrow or you can start a conversation with me earlier.

I have the materials for the first batch with the next batch materials getting here Monday or Tuesday so I should be able to start shipping as early as Wednesday.

Thanks,

Chris

I sent out PMs and emails to those interested. Unfortunately I ran out of PMs allowed for the day, so if you didn't get a message I'll send the info tomorrow or you can start a conversation with me earlier.

I have the materials for the first batch with the next batch materials getting here Monday or Tuesday so I should be able to start shipping as early as Wednesday.

Thanks,

Chris

I'll just make things easy for folks so we can move this off the forum; doesn't seem to belong in the "show Off" area anymore.

http://tmcleather.weebly.com/

I'll just make things easy for folks so we can move this off the forum; doesn't seem to belong in the "show Off" area anymore.

http://tmcleather.weebly.com/

:youwish:

Bullshit mate i think it does !!!! I also think if it is back up again a few LW might want a few ,,,

Hey Chris how much leather work you done lately ????? or have you been too busy turning these little beauties out

:cheers:

Bevan

Edited by Bevan

Spinner,

I've been doing a bit of filigree lately, and would like to burnish the inside edges.

How small of a diameter could one be made?

I think I'd like one friend.

:youwish:

Bullshit mate i think it does !!!! I also think if it is back up again a few LW might want a few ,,,

Hey Chris how much leather work you done lately ????? or have you been too busy turning these little beauties out

:cheers:

Bevan

Hey Bevan,

Been pretty busy with the leather lately now that I finished off the main batch of orders and a few special requests.

You should have your buddy's burnishers in a day or two. ;)

Chris

Spinner,

I've been doing a bit of filigree lately, and would like to burnish the inside edges.

How small of a diameter could one be made?

I think I'd like one friend.

Well, in theory I could turn them as small as 3/32" in diameter (I used to specialize in thin stem goblets) if I adjusted the design but I'm not sure how well they would hold up. How small were you thinking? I'll be doing some turning this weekend and can probably play with designs if you can give me an idea on size. Feel free to email me with ideas/details at chris@threemuttscustoms.com

Chris

Edited by Spinner

Well, in theory I could turn them as small as 3/32" in diameter (I used to specialize in thin stem goblets) if I adjusted the design but I'm not sure how well they would hold up. How small were you thinking? I'll be doing some turning this weekend and can probably play with designs if you can give me an idea on size. Feel free to email me with ideas/details at chris@threemuttscustoms.com

Chris

Chris, I received my edge slickers and they work great! Also thank you for donating to the IFOLG show door prize drawing. I know someone went home a happy camper! I saw the post on the filligree work edging and wondered about something along those same lines. I do a number of belt with names cut out of the back. I wondered if a slicker could be made that would help to make the edges smooth, but did not know how slim a spindle could be and still hold up. I will be interested to see postings if something works out. Thanks Deb59

Edited by Deb59

Thanks for the feedback Deb. I wasn't sure how it went with the IFoLG donation but figured they were in good hands.

Like I mentioned, I can turn pretty much as thin as one would want me to but I don't know how they'll hold up. I'll be doing a bit of turning in the shop this weekend so I'll make one up and see how it works out for burnishing. To give you an idea of what I used to do as far as thin turnings:

2goblet_perspective.jpg

The one on the left has a stem that is 1/8" in diameter over a 9" run with beads every 1 1/2" and a captive ring.

So turning thin isn't a problem. ;)

Thanks for the feedback Deb. I wasn't sure how it went with the IFoLG donation but figured they were in good hands.

Like I mentioned, I can turn pretty much as thin as one would want me to but I don't know how they'll hold up. I'll be doing a bit of turning in the shop this weekend so I'll make one up and see how it works out for burnishing. To give you an idea of what I used to do as far as thin turnings:

2goblet_perspective.jpg

The one on the left has a stem that is 1/8" in diameter over a 9" run with beads every 1 1/2" and a captive ring.

So turning thin isn't a problem. ;)

What Delicate work. Those stems are so thin and perfect. Have not seen anything like it. Very Nice!!

Thanks! It can get pretty crazy doing the long ones as you end up turning with one hand while the other is supporting the stem from behind so it doesn't flex.

A buddy of mine from the UK has done them this thin in excess of 3 feet long with larger cups on them. Pretty cool to see too as they will gently sway in the light breeze from central air or a room fan.

Thanks Engineco1!

I may end up making a bunch for folks that want them. They only take a few minutes to cut and turn so cost would be pretty low I imagine.

I'll have to check out the shanks at Harbor Freight. Home Depot wants $5 for the sanding drum replacement pack.

Worst case scenario, I could probably make them and get them shipped in the lower 48 for $10...that sound about right?

They sound like just what I need for my bridlery and strap work. Any idea what the postage to the UK might be?

All the best,

Jerry

Edited by JerryLevine

Hey Jerry,

I actually updated the webpage for them to allow folks to add International Shipping (selection at the bottom of the page) to make things easier.

Just choose the burnishers you want and then select the appropriate amount of shipping (based on the number of burnishers) at the bottom of the webpage.

Here's the burnisher web page: http://tmcleather.weebly.com/

Chris

Hey Jerry,

I actually updated the webpage for them to allow folks to add International Shipping (selection at the bottom of the page) to make things easier.

Just choose the burnishers you want and then select the appropriate amount of shipping (based on the number of burnishers) at the bottom of the webpage.

Here's the burnisher web page: http://tmcleather.weebly.com/

Chris

Chris,

That's great: MANY thanks.....Please see my order. Now all I have to do is to see how much the UK Customs sting me for!

Thanks again.

Jerry

No problem Jerry. I got the order and am heading out to the shop now so they'll likely be in the mail tomorrow.

Not sure what UK customs hits folks for...maybe one of the other UK owners can chime in?

Thanks for the order! ;)

No problem Jerry. I got the order and am heading out to the shop now so they'll likely be in the mail tomorrow.

Not sure what UK customs hits folks for...maybe one of the other UK owners can chime in?

Thanks for the order! ;)

It's not so much the Value Added Tax (VAT) or the import duty, but the post office's handling charge, which for a small package like this is going to cost around $12-15!!!! The only things that don't get stopped are things that clearly state they're antique/second-hand/pre-owned things.

Oh Well, we'll see!

Now if you can fit up a jig or something that uses two burnishers, driven from a single Dremel that could do both sides of a strap at once.......(no commission charged on free creative thought!)

Thanks again,

Jerry

hey hey i got mine a couple of week ago , and i love it, it work well , i have to figth my wyfe for it lollllll

Thanks for the order! ;)

hey hey i got mine a couple of week ago , and i love it, it work well , i have to figth my wyfe for it lollllll

:specool: Good to hear Richard!