Sign in to follow this  
GrampaJoel

Get Down Loop On Chaps Or Chinks Questions.

I was wondering if anyone has some suggestions for, or about putting a get down loop on chaps or chinks?

Style, location.

do it,

don't do it?

Any ideas anyone?

I am asking for opinions as well as design help.

I have seen them, but I would like some more info in my hands, before I build a pair with a get down loop holder on them.

Thanks

Joel

I put a down rope ring on every pair. if the side panels are laced I have put them there but I usualy rivet a bleed knotted strap with the ring attatched to it to the yoke on the backside and then flip that to the front side.

Tim Worley

TK-Leather

Thanks for the reply Tim.

I usually put my macate rope on my right side under my belt on my jeans. Do you have any suggestion as to which side would be a proper side or not, for chaps and chinks??

Thanks

Joel

I put mine on the left just because it keeps it out of the way when roping

Oops :blush:

I mean my other right....

But I guess when I think about it a little it depends upon which side I get up on ...:lol:

I don't do any roping so I am more of a pleasure rider I guess.

My girl will chase cows all day if I let her.

what the heck is a get down loop? Thought that I had hard it all.

If you mean the 6 or so feet of mecate from your near side tugs (I'm a snaffle bit man myself) make a series of loops and tuck them under your belt on the left side.

You can fly off something pretty salty and your still attached (for 6 feet or so!)

DON"T put it on the right side!!! You'll hang up getting on or off!!!

Joel

That is what we call them here too, I have heard some call a tie rope that as well that is why I asked.I have not put them on but if I was to I would make sure they are on the back part of the yoke and out of a leather strap so they would have some friction to hold them, A ring will not hold it well. I have tried this in my tie rope rings and they fall out fast.I think I would make a strap at least an 1/2" wide and not make it to lose, that way it will grab the rope and keep it where you put it. I also think that you should never put a loop in your belt as it can become to large and then the tail can get though the loop and now your tied on to your horse.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Joel

That is what we call them here too, I have heard some call a tie rope that as well that is why I asked.I have not put them on but if I was to I would make sure they are on the back part of the yoke and out of a leather strap so they would have some friction to hold them, A ring will not hold it well. I have tried this in my tie rope rings and they fall out fast.I think I would make a strap at least an 1/2" wide and not make it to lose, that way it will grab the rope and keep it where you put it. I also think that you should never put a loop in your belt as it can become to large and then the tail can get though the loop and now your tied on to your horse.

Hope this helps.

Mark

That's why you run multiple loops in your belt. I run 2-3 and let the slack and popper hang well below it.

I put my get down rope or McCarty through the front of my chinks then one loop in the back. Less loops less likely for a wreck.

That's why you run multiple loops in your belt. I run 2-3 and let the slack and popper hang well below it.

Edited by JakeT