Sign in to follow this  
oldgringo

my new chinks

Hi Friends:

Made these a couple of weeks ago. So they are dirty from gathering, shipping, etc. Tried a longer, fuller style this time. Did my interpretation of the oak leaf motif (Quercus douglasii in my country).

OG

DSCF0725.jpgDSCF0724.jpg

post-5415-1209767902_thumb.jpg

post-5415-1209768007_thumb.jpg

I like it, I don't have a clue what it is, but I like it. whats a chink used for?

zman, chinks are a shortened version of chaps, most come with fringe,some dont. they protect your legs when riding from underbrush and other stuff.

zman... to add to the confusion Buckaroos wear chinks & a flat crown on their hat

cowboys wear chaps and any shape crown they want to on their hat.

Edited by Luke Hatley

Very nice looking chinks gringo, what weight chap hide did you use on these?

Ken

Ken: The laether is 4-4.5 oz. bucktan from the Hide House in Napa, CA.

thanks for clearing that up, I think. I guess I would have to see them worn. I assume they strap on just below the knee and not the waist, cuz that wouldn't make sense. just one more question tho, don't the tops of your legs get sunburned? okay, I'm sorry I couldn't resist being obtuse. I'll have to google these to see how they're worn. I'll bet they look cool tho. kinda like mucklucks for cowboys.

Ya only sunburn when you don't where pants under them.

Dink

Frist off vary nice job and love the light color. Will help in the heat of the day. Thank you for shareing them.

To help you zman chinks are hooked around the waist and go down just past the knee to potecte the let when roping and give you a little better grip to the saddle if the horse bucks. the reason for over the knee is if it rains the water goes off the chink to the ground if shorter it goes in your boots. Thay are vary handy working cows the carrying sharp neidles and tuff to help save your leg from misshaps. All so helps save your leg when roping and pullling stuff with your horse.

Mine are dark brown but the next pair will be light tan. The dark is to hot in the summer time.

Russell

I"m with zman. Bikers don't usually know much about chinks. LOL except that they are very nice looking. Of course we'd have them as the sleeves to our vests or something goofy like that. lol Nice looking chinks though.