Mikewood

Any Old Hands Still Saddle Stitch?

I have been working leather on and off for 25 years or so. Basically when I need something I break out the leather and punches and go to work. I use a dremel tool press to drill out my stitch holes and my sewing is all hand stitched. I see on the board a lot of very nice machine stitched work and I wonder if a machine is a good investment for me but also if there are folks that have worked leather for many years and never got a sewing machine.

Thanks.

I got my sewing machine for "big" work items such as belts, flank cinches, breast collar and stuff like that. All of my holsters and smaller items I still hand stitch. It may take a little longer but I like the results a lot better. It's just my opinion but the smaller jobs are just easier to do by hand since it would take me just as long to get my machine set for the smaller items.

Frank

I do nothing but hand stitch - no matter what the project . I have never owned a machine for stitching and for a fact I never will .

My largest stitch would be 8 stitches per inch , my smallest 17 stitches per inch , my biggest single item would be a pair of harness traces 2m+ long 1 & 1/4 wide, double thickness and stitched with two rows on each edge from end to end .

I have been working leather on and off for 25 years or so. Basically when I need something I break out the leather and punches and go to work. I use a dremel tool press to drill out my stitch holes and my sewing is all hand stitched. I see on the board a lot of very nice machine stitched work and I wonder if a machine is a good investment for me but also if there are folks that have worked leather for many years and never got a sewing machine.

Thanks.

FWIW: I've been making holsters (and some other items for shooting sports) for a bit over 40 years now. I learned how to saddle stitch a long time ago and still use it exclusively in my work. A sample. Mike

002a-2.jpg

All my leatherwork is hand saddle stitched. I do low volume so a machine isn't worth it, plus I advertise as hand stitched and it adds a level of authenticity to my historical goods. At an outdoor event last year I had a shoe maker try to convince me to go with a machine to increase production. He didn't seem to grasp the concept that I can charge more and get a higher profit margin with hand stitching. Like what was said in an older thread here it's better to make one thing and sell it for $100 then make three and sell them for $33.

All my work is hand stitched as well...the reenacting folks that I sell most of my stuff to really appreciate the fact that is it sewn in this way.

I do a combination of hand and machine stitching.....but I don't think I qualify for "old hand". At least not compared to the folks on here.

Thanks.

I do a combination of hand and machine stitching. I agree that renactment product should be hand stitched. I do not agree that everything hand stitched is better.

I love to hand stitch. After a very long piece of stitching on my machine my fingers do not hurt nearly as bad eusa_naughty.gif

just my .02

ferg

i do hand stitching 99.9% of the time. i've machine stitched zippers on a pair of chaps. that was the extent of my machine work. i'd like to do a bit more. but everyone loves the authenticity of hand stitching. in fact, when i tell anyone it's all done by hand, they are always amazed. most people think it's never done that way anymore.

i'm not totally convinced that hand stitching is the best way very single time, but i do know that it is always superior for strength and longevity.

Probably 99% of the repair work we do on bridles, reins, breast plates and the like is hand sewn, even if it was originally machine sewn. If it's less than 6 or 7 inches and narrower than 3/4", It's going to get hand sewn. I can't reset-up my machine that fast and it's not going to do as nice a job anyway.

Whatever is going to do the best job for my customer and me is the way I will go. If it's a cheap Indian halter, I don't care if they handstitched it, I will clean out all the old stitching and machine it. If someone wants me to make something and wants a good job and will pay for it, I'll handstitch it. Now, if someone brings in something nice and wants a crap job, I tell them they have to pay extra for that, I can't keep up a good reputation by doing crap work.

Our saddler built stock saddles and bronc saddles for 30 years and he's a pretty good hand with a jerk awl and can keep the stitches looking even when he's got a lot of stitching to do, but that doesn't have the twist I want to see in a stitch.

Sorry to blather on,

Kevin

I've been doing leatherwork for about ten years now. I just got my first stitching machine this week.

After 10 years of hand stitching, I'm planning on buying a stitching machine this week. But I know there will always be a need to hand stitch some projects, so it's important to know how, and to have the proper tools.

Until now, I have been unwilling/unable to spend the $$ to buy a good machine....plus a little intimidated with the thought of learning to use one. But I see now that it's the only way to up my production to the level I want to get to.......and not compromise the quality.

I figure if so many others can do it....so can I.

Edited by Rayban