Historybuff

Waxing Your Thread

On 12/9/2023 at 4:20 PM, Aven said:

Sorrell Notions has summer and winter coad.  The winter coad is soft and the summer coad is hard so it doesn't melt when using.   It's used for sewing uppers to soles.

It's also called hand wax.

Great information.  Here's a DIY video for making coad. I've got to try this!

7 hours ago, SUP said:

Found a nifty little tool on Temu recently, for waxing thread as you use it. No idea how it will work for those of you working on larger projects, but for me, with my small projects, it works fine.

You get it with white and yellow wax and cost me less than a $1.5.

Making those little discs of wax should be simple for those who want their own mix in there. I though the container is useful.

thread waxer.jpg

I've got one of those thingmebobs* but I've sort of lost it

*a technical term

@fredk LOL sounds familiar. I have made my reputation by losing a huge role of paper.  I keep all small thingamabobs below 1-2 inches in size in one box - of which hubby knows the location. So things are getting lost less often. 

@TomE I have to try that! 

Are resin and rosin two names for the same thing or are they different things entirely?

30 minutes ago, SUP said:

Are resin and rosin two names for the same thing or are they different things entirely?

They are the same, but rosin is dried into cakes but resin may still be liquid

yaaaay, I've found it! You'll never believe where it was. It was in my ready-use sewing kit. Who would have thunk it. I wonder who put it there?

1 hour ago, fredk said:

yaaaay, I've found it! You'll never believe where it was. It was in my ready-use sewing kit. Who would have thunk it. I wonder who put it there?

:) Who Indeed.

1 hour ago, fredk said:

They are the same, but rosin is dried into cakes but resin may still be liquid

So you can use either for making hand wax?

I was looking it up - it appears their methods of production are different as well - that is when they are sold packaged. If you don't collect your own...which I can't :(,  and need to buy it, is resin better or rosin, to make hand wax?  

Edited by SUP

Here. solid resin, in the form of small pieces is sold as 'resin' or 'rosin'. The term seems interchangeable but only for the solid form of pine resin.  I've ordered 'resin' which is also described as ''rosin' and as 'colophony', yet another name given to the solid form of pine resin 

Go for 'rosin'. Rosin has always been used on instrument stings and bows and as a powder to increase grip on playing/game surfaces and on bats & rackets; all that and more

Correcting my comment above:  The wax I'm using is made from 1 part pine resin/rosin (not pine tar) and 2 parts beeswax.  She poured the molten mixture into a silicon baking mold to cool.  Similar to the recipes others have mentioned in this thread.

'Rosin the bow' One of my childhood favourites. It was many years until I found out the meaning of the word rosin

Interesting video. Might have to make some but I reckon I'll pass on the kneading and just pour into molds.

@fredk charming song, morbid theme notwithstanding - googled it as I could not catch the words - lovely accent though.

@dikman, there is a mention that it needs constant kneading because otherwise the rosin will form crystals in the wax. So would not pouring it into molds allow crystallization as well?

3 hours ago, SUP said:

@dikman, there is a mention that it needs constant kneading because otherwise the rosin will form crystals in the wax. So would not pouring it into molds allow crystallization as well?

The friend who gave me the cake of wax clarified a few things today.  She uses 1 part pine rosen (not pine tar) plus 2 parts beeswax.  She heats the rosen in a nonstick pan just until melted then adds the beeswax to melt.  She pours the mixture into silicon baking molds to harden.  So far I don't see any rosen crystals in the wax.  She purchased Pine Gum Rosen on Etsy from DiamondGForest.  Also, "triple filtered beewax" from SimplyBeeswaxCandle on Etsy.  

I had to do some research to see just what the dif is between resin, rosin ,tar or sap also how its made. Rosin is simple to make I'll collect and make a batch next spring, maybe sooner if a I can get to the woods. 

BTW if you do google rosin be sure to specify pine rosin or you get instruction on marajuana rosin lol i doubt it would work the same. 

@TomE if the crystals don't form with this method, that is great. I did not like the idea of so much kneading. Thank you for that information.:)

I finally got making a batch of this