TomSwede

Makers stamp

Couldn't find the thread for showing off makers stamps but I think it would belong in this section??

So, today I got my makers stamp from Indypbear John AKA indy at Front-line productions. It's made in the new (to me) exciting material Delrin (resembles nylon but alot heavier and harder). I love to try new stuff and the sturdy feel of this one is suiting me well. Small handles for stamps that need force is not for me. It looks supernice, everything is level and straight like it should. I've been using Craftools big letters a bit and can't say that steel (or whatever the're made of) doesn't feel any better.

I always have problems with getting it level and therefor getting less impression in bottom right corner. This has to do with my body position when stamping. Think I'm gonna switch to a lighter hammer (use a big sandhammer now) 'cus I get to much digging in in the opposite corner. It's all about control I think.

I also got a nice little calendar in the package and I like little treaties very much, also where a sample on leather from the stamp and that one is definetly done by someone with control so big thanks to you John and Front-line Productions!

Tom

IMG_6572_01.jpg

IMG_6573_01.jpg

IMG_6574_01.jpg

post-5146-1210644126_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1210644140_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1210644154_thumb.jpg

I just got mine from Grey Ghost (Jeff Mosby) on Saturday. It's great. At the last class I attended someone had a great idea for a makers stamp hammer. They bought a dead blow hammer. I tried it and liked it. No bounce so you don't accidentally get a double stamp.

ArtS

That's a very good and smart design Art! Did you come up with it yourself?

The sandhammer I use is a deadblow hammer so it digs in to hard at first blow wich makes it difficult to level out the impression afterwards. Still with that sandhammer it do bounce if one doesnt press firmly down with it, get that with both Cfartools letters and the delrin stamp but the craftool is more of a struggle because of it's handle that feels too narrow in my hands.

Looking at how smooth John's impression with this stamp is makes me realize I gotta practice more.

Gotta try it sharp today with the Freak coffin notepad I'm stressworking with to get done tonight.

Tom

OOPS!

Even though I checked the name a typo snuck itself in when writing first post.

The company name is Front-line products llc and nothing else.

Sorry bout that John!

Tom

Thanks. Yes that is my own design. I cam up with it many years ago.

ArtS

Did you have to call Jeff? I tried sending a couple of messages through the system on his site and never received an reply. I have a design I want him to do, but don't know what size picture he needs or what format.

Very cool Tom!

Nice Job John.

My makers stamp was done by Jeff Mosby th_my_logo.jpg My overall idea came from a musical instruments company logo and Jeff changed it some. Jeff has had his website redone and it just might have some gliches in it still. you might try reaching him by phone. I know he will be at the Sheridan trade show.

post-55-1210778244_thumb.jpg

I just had something made by him recently. I emailed him and got a response 2 or 3 days later, I think he was out of town or something. He'll get back to you.

Kate

Did you have to call Jeff? I tried sending a couple of messages through the system on his site and never received an reply. I have a design I want him to do, but don't know what size picture he needs or what format.

Here's a business card I make with leather using a stamping plate Jeff made for me a few years ago. I use the plate in a small bench-top clicker press that I have. The border stamping is done by hand.

KLBizCard_500.jpg

Kate

post-7-1210779707_thumb.jpg

Hey Tazzman! My stamp was NOT made by Jeff.

Here's a link to John aka Indypbear who made it, try sending him a PM

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showuser=4830

Very cool Tom!

Nice Job John.

My makers stamp was done by Jeff Mosby th_my_logo.jpg My overall idea came from a musical instruments company logo and Jeff changed it some. Jeff has had his website redone and it just might have some gliches in it still. you might try reaching him by phone. I know he will be at the Sheridan trade show.

Think I commented on your stamp somewhere earlier but just in case I didn't gotta say it's a very beautiful design.

I'm working on a quickie notebook right now and all that's left is braiding the edges. Left a big space on the front where I have put my mark just to get it onto something for show to friends and here aswell, it's really to big a stamp for small stuff but it's intended for stuff like the tubes. Gonna get a smaller one later with just the star and maybe TOM on it for small stuff. Better collect some money first.

Lots of stuff stuffed into this answer, lol :deadsubject:

Tom

Edited by TomSwede

Got my stamp from Gray Ghost too, pretty nice. I keep thinking of making some kind of press, but I use a jig to hold my stamp steady. It is two peices of 3/4" pine glued together with a hole the exact diameter of the stamp drilled through it. My stamp is a simple cylinder, for those big-head stamps you would make the hole the diameter of the shaft, and then add a couple of "legs" so it will clear the head. I push the stamp through the hole and set it on the work to get it lined up, then slide the wood down so it is in contact with the work and then give it a whack. Helps prevent bouncing and evens out the pressure a bit (I have the same problem with uneven stamp). Every time I get in a rush and don't use the jig, it comes out crappy, double stamp, one side much deeper, so I think it is a good thing.

A jig sounds nice and some sort of press would be great to for those late night leather sssions. I got nieghbours to think of.

Tried the stamp on a "sharp" work yesterday and starting to look better now.

Tom

I just got mine from Grey Ghost (Jeff Mosby) on Saturday. It's great. At the last class I attended someone had a great idea for a makers stamp hammer. They bought a dead blow hammer. I tried it and liked it. No bounce so you don't accidentally get a double stamp.

ArtS

Hi Art,

I'm about to get a 4 lbs dead blow hammer from harbor freight for the stamping of a 2" by 1.25" logo. Do you think this one will work well?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=33907

Thanks,

Ed

Somebody told me to use a steel hammer with the Delrin maker stamps and that seems to make a big difference. The mallets and mauls used on regular leather stamping tools seem to cause bounce when hitting the delrin tools. I switched to using a heavy steel ball peen hammer I had on my bench and it seemed to make a lot better impression with out the bounce, double image, etc.

Somebody told me to use a steel hammer with the Delrin maker stamps and that seems to make a big difference. The mallets and mauls used on regular leather stamping tools seem to cause bounce when hitting the delrin tools. I switched to using a heavy steel ball peen hammer I had on my bench and it seemed to make a lot better impression with out the bounce, double image, etc.

Thanks , Clay. My stamp will be of delrin. I will get the heavy steel hammer.

What do you think about this three pound hammer? It's half the price of the 4 pounder. It seems maybe a good idea to stick with the heaviest head I can manage accurately and safely.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=46967

ed

Edited by esantoro

I get my best imprints using my maul. The secret to a good impression with delrin (ecytel) is to make sure the leather is cased properly and you a have a good surface under your leather ie marble or granite.

I get my best imprints using my maul. The secret to a good impression with delrin (ecytel) is to make sure the leather is cased properly and you a have a good surface under your leather ie marble or granite.

dbar,

Which maul do you use?

ed

I use the 3lb hammer and it works great.

ArtS

Thanks , Clay. My stamp will be of delrin. I will get the heavy steel hammer.

What do you think about this three pound hammer? It's half the price of the 4 pounder. It seems maybe a good idea to stick with the heaviest head I can manage accurately and safely.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=46967

ed

I use the 3lb hammer and it works great.

ArtS

Thanks. I ended up getting a 4 lbs. short-handled sledge hammer . I think I might get a 4lbs. dead blow hammer for cutting out the 2"-wide logo leather.

ed

That looks great. I have been trying to get a hold of Greyghostgraphics both by phone and email. No response so far. Any suggestions?

kEEP TRYING, HE WAS AT A LEATHER SHOW LAST WEEK.

HE PRODUCES FOME FINE & AFORADBLE MAKERS STAMPS.

I have to suggest our very own forum member "Dbarleather" cause he's built me 4 stamps and you can't beat the service. The postal service on the other hand has caused Daryl and I some grief!!!

If I provide my own vectorized graphic for the stamp design can someone here make it? Seems everywhere I look, they offer cookie cutter designs. I'd like something custom.

If I provide my own vectorized graphic for the stamp design can someone here make it? Seems everywhere I look, they offer cookie cutter designs. I'd like something custom.

That is what John did for me. I put it together in photoshop PSD file format. I'm not sure it's vectorbased but PSD was fine to work with (maybe he converted it?).

Send him a message and ask him. Indypbear is his boardname but I probably wrote that in my initial post.

Tom