landm42006

Punching Straight And Evenly Spaced Holes

Oh learned ones, please help me.

I make watch straps to subsidize my other hobbies. Plus, strap making is just darned fun and theraputic. UP UNTIL THE POINT WHERE I HAVE TO PUNCH HOLES IN THE STRAP!!!

Case in point, this strap:

P1000305.jpg

I did everything right, (IMHO) but then, the last detail, of punching the holes, I ended up a little off. And for a Marine, a little off means a failure!!!

Please provide some ideas or jigs that will allow me to make perfectly aligned and spaced holes for my straps. The belt makers have to have something that they use to make sure alignment is perfect.

Please help, I am sooo frustrated right now.

Thanks, Marty

Marty,

I just used a cheap set of small wing dividers. I scribe a light line down the center and then set the dividers to the spacing I want. I then walk them down the center line, punching a small hole with the points until I get all of the holes marked.

Frank

I run a line with dividers set at the proper distance from the edge, then walk down that line with the dividers. If you do this a lot for a particular spacing you might want to make a template out of sheet metal.

I hope this helps.

It looks like you might be setting the punch over your marks a little 'off kilter'. If that's the case, you can mark half the width of the punch on either side of the scribed center line so your edges line up.

Or...you can try to find a set of self centering punches- they have a little spring loaded point in the center so you can line up exactly on the mark. These are also very useful for punching out washers.

Or....get one of these: http://springfieldleather.com/store/product/5603/Punch%2CRotary%2CStitching-5-sizes/

I have experienced the same problem at times, . . . and scrapping a double layer gun belt because of an off center hole, . . . well, . . . it won't "make your day".

I messed around with different techniques until I discovered it laying right on my desk.

I use a "template" for all my hole punching routines. The trick is to remember that the "template' is seldom made perfect enough to use "as is".

For example, . . . my belt billet template is used to mark the holes for the belt billet. I lay it down on the cut, sanded, edged, and burnished billet, . . . use a soft lead pencil to outline inside the holes.

The template is made of manila file folder material, meticulously cut to exact dimensions and standards. It is then punched as close as I can humanly do to exact, . . . but is never dead on.

After I mark the holes, . . . I flip the template 180 degrees and re-mark the holes. If there is any "difference" in the two markings, . . . I just "hit the middle" and all my holes for my belt billets come out very acceptable.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-020053600 1300328222_thumb.jpg

Sorry I'll Try again Edited by albane

I don't know why everybody is showing how to do this where it requires you to scratch a mark or two to line up your holes.

Take a piece of clear plastic. I use a strip from a plastic milk jug. Draw a line down the middle.

mark (with a sharpie of awl) a set of holes along the line the space that you desire.

hold the punch on the top side and Look under the plastic to see the hole punch opening to put the hole in the exact center.

turn it over and punch your holes.

Use the plastic as a template to simply place it on the leather and put the punch in the pre-punched holes.

I made one 1 1/2" wide and use it on anything. Doesn't matter as the centerline is the centerline.

This works especially well where I had trouble keeping my OVAL holes perfect.

pete

Use the plastic as a template to simply place it on the leather and put the punch in the pre-punched holes.

I made one 1 1/2" wide and use it on anything. Doesn't matter as the centerline is the centerline.

This works especially well where I had trouble keeping my OVAL holes perfect.

pete

Woo, . . . hoo, . . .

Great tip for the OVAL punch, . . . it's a booger to do without some kind of template or other "liner upper"

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks for all the excellent tips, especially "albane" who took the time to film his instruction. Thanks so much. I will implement these suggestions (hopefully this weekend) and will post the resluts later on. Again, thanks so much for all the instruction. :grouphug5vj5: