Sign in to follow this  
NC Holster Maker

What Thread Size For Holsters

What thread size and type are you guys using for your holsters when using 7-8oz and 8-9oz leather? I am very new to this and am trying to learn everything I can. I like 6-7 stitches an inch if that makes a difference. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What thread size and type are you guys using for your holsters when using 7-8oz and 8-9oz leather? I am very new to this and am trying to learn everything I can. I like 6-7 stitches an inch if that makes a difference. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

FOR ME 277 ON TOP AND 207 ON BOTTOM NYLON THREAD

Edited by Luke Hatley

i use 346 on the top and 277 on the bottom.

Tony

I use 277 top and bottom

I m wondering why two different sizes for top and bottom?

I hand stitch everything at this point but have purchased a used Boss with almost all of the attachments so I am going to start using it and have to decide upon what size thread.

277 is the norm from what I gather but have no idea just what the Diameter really is for a #277 thread.

I like a thread that is about 3/16 th inch in dia. What would be the thread size for that?

I m wondering why two different sizes for top and bottom?

I hand stitch everything at this point but have purchased a used Boss with almost all of the attachments so I am going to start using it and have to decide upon what size thread.

277 is the norm from what I gather but have no idea just what the Diameter really is for a #277 thread.

I like a thread that is about 3/16 th inch in dia. What would be the thread size for that?

I really doubt you mean 3/16

I use 277 top and bottom in my Boss also. Which is like 0.025" diameter

3/16 thread would be rope. I use 277 top and 207 bottom. It's nice size thread and it's no going to break. 346 and 415 thread are to big for most things IMO. To me a big ole thread is like long stitches it just doesn't look good. But that's in the eye of the beholder i guess.

I use T270 (277) bonded nylon thread for everything, top and bottom. Plenty of strength for the task, in my opinion, and a nice neat appearance to the finished stitch, even at the overstitched areas where a stitch-line is completed.

The only advantage I can see to using a lighter thread weight for the bottom thread would be to increase bobbin capacity, reducing the need to wind bobbins. My Cobra Class 4 machine has an automatic bobbin winder, winds a bobbin while you stitch, so I always have a full bobbin ready to go, and changing bobbins takes only a minute or two.

Best regards.

I really doubt you mean 3/16

I use 277 top and bottom in my Boss also. Which is like 0.025" diameter

http://leatherworker.net/forum/uploads/1282301134/med_gallery_15329_504_6047.jpg

mmm, actually 1/8 to 3/16 is about what I like. Yes it is large, but then again I tried it out using some twine used for setting up forms in construction.and found that I do like it, as do a number of the guys I have sold holsters to.

Personally, . . . I like the fuller look of the 346, . . . use it top and bottom, . . . belts too.

YMMV

May God bless,

Dwight

Are you saying the thread in that picture is 3/16" Dia???

http://leatherworker...29_504_6047.jpg

mmm, actually 1/8 to 3/16 is about what I like. Yes it is large, but then again I tried it out using some twine used for setting up forms in construction.and found that I do like it, as do a number of the guys I have sold holsters to.

Are you saying the thread in that picture is 3/16" Dia???

Only if thats 2 threads per inch, and the holster is for an M1 carbine. :cheers:

mmm, actually 1/8 to 3/16 is about what I like.

A U.S. Quarter is about 1/16" thick. So you're saying that you use thread that is as thick as three U.S. Quarters stacked up?

Bronson

Edited by Bronson

..... Someone is reading the Ruler wrong.......... :brainbleach: :excuseme:

Sorry I misspoke actually that is a 1/8 inch cord and I did state it wrong, it is 3/32 that I was speaking of.

The cord in that holster is from a 12 strand cord made up of three set of three lines wrapped around each other making up three cords in and of themselves, wrapped around each other...

We used it for Concrete Form layout with a string level when we did not have a laser with us.

I do know that the largest I have held in my hand is 138 and that seems way to thin to be of any use with belts or holsters.

What is the Dia of 277, 346 and 415?

<snip>What is the Dia of 277, 346 and 415?</snip>

0.0231, 0.0258, 0.0283

NC Holster Maker,

Go to the "Supplier" section of this website, 4th page, 5th post and look for Cowboy Thunder's post. He has some 9 cord waxed thread for sale. $10.00. There is a whole bunch of it and it is a good size, in my opinion, for hand sewing. I bought some and he is excellent to deal with. Had it in 4 days. A little difficult to put thru the eye of a "00" needle, but sure looks good on the finished product. JMHO Semper-fi MIke

Shooter McGavin, thank you for your response

I'll use up what 277 I'll have with the Boss when it comes in and order a roll of each of the others and see what is looks like.

NC Holster Maker,

Go to the "Supplier" section of this website, 4th page, 5th post and look for Cowboy Thunder's post. He has some 9 cord waxed thread for sale. $10.00. There is a whole bunch of it and it is a good size, in my opinion, for hand sewing. I bought some and he is excellent to deal with. Had it in 4 days. A little difficult to put thru the eye of a "00" needle, but sure looks good on the finished product. JMHO Semper-fi MIke

Thank you for the heads up

That super heavy stuff can require lube to run properly through some machines, FYI. I use 277 bonded poly top and bottom on my gear. I think it's heavy, strong, and looks good, too.