wildrose

How do you cut?

Your favorite method  

155 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite way to cut down big pieces of leather?

• Head knife
    • Scissors
    • Craftsman knife/utility knife
    • Depends on the leather
    • Other (please explain)

I was working on cutting out pieces for a Bible cover, and got curious what others are using when they are cutting out project pieces. I really like my craftsman knife from Tandy, but am lousy at keeping it sharp, so I'm usually picking up the scissors.

I use a utility (razor blades) knife almost exclusively. I have a couple head knives and several other leather knives, but I don't think I get significantly better results with them. Plus, I got tired of sharpening them constantly. I use the knives for special purposes, like the head knife for trimming around a saddle horn. I use scissors for light leather.

I was working on cutting out pieces for a Bible cover, and got curious what others are using when they are cutting out project pieces. I really like my craftsman knife from Tandy, but am lousy at keeping it sharp, so I'm usually picking up the scissors.

For clean precision cutting on heavy material, I like this (click here to see it).

I use this on mostly 5-6oz veg-tan for pattern piece cutting. I can make cut parts that are almost as clean-cut as die-cut parts. I don't know how this does on leather any heavier than 6oz, though.

Kate

For clean precision cutting on heavy material, I like this (click here to see it).

I use this on mostly 5-6oz veg-tan for pattern piece cutting. I can make cut parts that are almost as clean-cut as die-cut parts. I don't know how this does on leather any heavier than 6oz, though.

Kate

Thats what I use but some times I have hard time keeping it strait even with a rule.

I couldn't imagine cutting leather with anything apart from a round or headknife or a plough guage although I do sometimes use my pocketknife in a pinch! They do have to be sharp to get good results and it makes life so much easier.

Tony.

A utility knife with a good sharp blade is what I use most, although there are certain things I perfer my head knife for. The head knife keeps the cut straight up and down, while the utility knife can easily undercut. I ordered a small head knife and I think it will be more useful to me than anything.

Kathy

What I use greatly depends on the leather. I use the Head knife almost exclusively on any tooling leather. I have two sizes of head knives (a larger CS Osborne and a medium Al Stohlman) and a third one on the way (small one from a custom knife maker).

For upholstery leather I use either a roller cutter or scissors. On thin Vegetable tanned leather for small projects with longer straight cuts, I use a paper cutter. The kind with the handle on the side.

As with any other job or craft, I think it boils down to the right tool for the right job.

For straight cuts I use a utility knife, when cutting patterns with curves, I use quilters razor shears. I would like to try a head knife, but can't justify the cost yet.

I've tried using knives to cut out leather, but frankly, I feel I have more control and can work faster with heavy duty Fiskars scissors. I'm usually cutting 4-5 oz. veg-tan. The only downside is that scissors don't leave as nice an edge as a knife, so you'll have to spend a little time cleaning up the edge with sandpaper.

Head Knife

Clicker Knife for tight curves

Scalpel

and when all else fails, the utility knife.

Art

Head knife for probably 90% Thin leather maybe leather scissors but probably not. I also have a special custom made knife I sometimes use but still prefer the head knife.

I use a tippman embosser with the cutting wheel with heavy leathers, it rocks! (it should for the price!)

For the lighter stuff I use an electric scissors unless I am cutting strips and am going for accuracy then I use a head knife (once you get the hang of using and sharpning it's real easy to cut nice and staight with it!)

I use my two head knifes for everything .

It is taboo to use anything else where I work, only for few things like lightwight leather a small knife and leather scissors.

So I am used to use only these:

DSC01583.JPG

Gesa

post-130-1213392386_thumb.jpg

I use a head knife, utility knife, xacto knife, pocket knife, scissors, just about anything.

It depends a lot on what I'm doing, what ounce of leather, :blahblahblah::blahblahblah: .

For a straight cut I use a carpet knife from "Roberts" The blades are sharp and you can use a straight edge assit in keeping the cut straight otherwise my choice is a round knife

For a straight cut I use a carpet knife from "Roberts" The blades are sharp and you can use a straight edge assit in keeping the cut straight otherwise my choice is a round knife

For straight and moderate curves, you can't beat the rotary cutter. This little tool will cut thru 8-9 OZ like hot butter.....

rotary_Cutter.jpg

post-644-1213735289_thumb.jpg

Edited by Justis Cases

For straight and moderate curves, you can't beat the rotary cutter. This little tool will cut thru 8-9 OZ like hot butter.....

[soapbox]

I'd use one too, but I don't want to pay to replace the blades all the time. I think in the long run, it's more cost effective

to use a head knife and buy a good quality oil stone. [/soapbox]

Leather is a real bear to cut unless the blade is very sharp. A sharp head knife is just a pleasure to use and with all knives it's very important to have the proper under-surface to cut on. (like a POLY sheet) I picked up one of those office chair poly mats from Staples and it works great.

[soapbox]

I'd use one too, but I don't want to pay to replace the blades all the time. I think in the long run, it's more cost effective

to use a head knife and buy a good quality oil stone. [/soapbox]

If your careful and use the proper matting, the blades will last a long time. If your not careful and use the improper matting, you will occasionly nick the blades just like you will with any knife. The sharpner does a great job if you elect to take the time to do it. Replace blades run about $3.50 each in a pack of 5. If you try it, you just might retire you head knife.[/size

blade_sharpner.jpg

post-644-1214060746_thumb.jpg

I usually use an Osborne head knife. But recently I bought a Gemsy electric rotary cutter. This is an inexpensive rotary but it was a good way to test the water using these powerful fabric tools. I can tell you that this thing cuts through thick leather like a hot knife through butter. It also leaves a good clean edge.

I have some complaints about the construction/design of the unit but there is no doubt in my mind that I will certainly be using it to rough down large pieces and once I get well practiced, I will probably be using it to make my finish cuts.

:):):)

90% round knife - 10% (tight curves, light leather) several other knifes ;-). In Al Stohlman's Letahercraft Tools Book you will find the needed guidance how to use this knife (incl. sharpening tips). Best regards

Rolf

When I worked in making leather stuff for a company I used an olfa fabric cutter.

It's basically a pizza cutter with a better edge and perfect for cutting upto very thick leathers with shallow curves down to thinner pig skins and such with very tight curves.

I still use this type of blade now, 8 years on, the blades are cheap enough if the blade is well looked after, the first ding on metal however kills the use of them for anything important.

I also use a victorinox card knife, it's small but uses very good steel which is easy to sharpen and a delight to use, If it's appropriate I lightly hammer it in to a post or similar and just push thicker leather through damp, or pull thinner stuff through much like you would use a sewing machine. I have made axe sheaths down to mp3 player cases with this kit. That we swiss card is handy, the pen for marking out disks for lace cutting, and the scissors handle surprisingly thick leather.

I also use a leatherman regular pocket folding knife on occassion or a larger sheath knife.

I do like using the old fashioned leather knife that looks like an ulu, but don't have one now.

So, do you think the rotary tool is better than the utility knife with thick razor blade? When cutting with a metal straight edge, do you strongly suggest using a headknife? What are the benefits that would be seen in going with this type of knife over a rotary tool or utility knife?