alb

Do You Harden Tapaderos?

I just made my first pair of tapaderos out of 11/12 oz. They are a bit soft and I'm considering putting them through a hardening process. All the tapaderos that have come through the shop have been pretty stiff but it may be because of age. Do you regularly harden tapaderos?

Ann

I just made my first pair of tapaderos out of 11/12 oz. They are a bit soft and I'm considering putting them through a hardening process. All the tapaderos that have come through the shop have been pretty stiff but it may be because of age. Do you regularly harden tapaderos?

Ann

Ann,

Somebody may hop in here with more experience than mine and if they do take their advice, but I have hardened taps before. I made some out of some import skirting that was real soft. They were bulldogs so when the leather was still wet from molding them on the stirrup I put them on a board in the oven set on about 180 and left them in there for 30 mins. After they cooled I oiled them and they were just right. I havn't had any negative feedback from the customer so I assume they are holding up well. Put them on the board because even the low heat will leave marks from the rack. If I use Hermann Oak 13-15 I don't do any of this.

Hope this helps,

CW

THanks CW,

Anybody else care to comment? I'm getting ready to build a second pair for the same customer.

Ann

Ann,

Somebody may hop in here with more experience than mine and if they do take their advice, but I have hardened taps before. I made some out of some import skirting that was real soft. They were bulldogs so when the leather was still wet from molding them on the stirrup I put them on a board in the oven set on about 180 and left them in there for 30 mins. After they cooled I oiled them and they were just right. I havn't had any negative feedback from the customer so I assume they are holding up well. Put them on the board because even the low heat will leave marks from the rack. If I use Hermann Oak 13-15 I don't do any of this.

Hope this helps,

CW

I have made a right many pair of taps over the years (recently got a grat pattern from Bob Park). Forbulldog taps I use 16oz skirt (unless

lining with sheep for cold weather). These hold shape just fine and are used alot in my home country of southwest texas in the

misquite bruch (we call them toe fenders). On eagle breaks I use 13-15oz and add a weitght piece on the bottom of each side of

a tap toe keep the ends from turning or curling up. The weighted ends really work well when sorting or working cows. Have never

hardened a set but have made bull dogs from heavy rawhide.Hope above helps a litttle.

</h3>

<h3>spur2009 user_popup.png.....

On eagle breaks I use 13-15oz and add a weitght piece on the bottom of each side of

a tap toe keep the ends from turning or curling up. The weighted ends really work well when sorting or working cows.

Spur2009,

May I ask what you use to weight the ends?

Thanks

Joel

Joe - For the weight piece on the toe of the tap I use heavy skirting leather on about 1/4th of the tap in length. The edges of the weight

piece must be the same as the body of the tap but the top of the piece can be any shape you desire, curved, scalloped,etc. Hope

this makes sense to you

Spur2009

Hope this makes sense to you

Yes it does.

Thank you.

Joel

Does anyone on here know how to make a tapadero and dry hard it because I want to make my own because I ride in heavy brush country.

Bob Klenda had an article about them in one of the last couple Saddler's Journals. I will look when I get done with chores.

25 minutes ago, tsunkasapa said:

Bob Klenda had an article about them in one of the last couple Saddler's Journals. I will look when I get done with chores.

Klenda's article on bulldog tapaderos is in the March/April 2023 issue of Leather Crafters and Saddlers Journal.  Jason Timmermans has an article on "Custom Hardened Leather Arch Supports" in the July/August 2022 issue.  He explains the use of stearic acid (long chain fatty acid) to harden leather.  Think this traditional approach is a better than simply drying out the leather.  Can purchase these back issues from the Journal's online store.