Hello all

I had a guy call me up and ask if i could make him a knife/stab proof vest. I checked out Tandy and they have some "Armour leather" but I think I would need a chainsaw to cut it. So my questions....Has anyone ever heard or made something like this? Does anyone have some ideas on the thickness of leather that would be needed to stop a knife attack???? Or should I just stay away from anyone asking for a stab proof vest? HaHa

Thanks for your time and input in advance.

Hello all

I had a guy call me up and ask if i could make him a knife/stab proof vest. I checked out Tandy and they have some "Armour leather" but I think I would need a chainsaw to cut it. So my questions....Has anyone ever heard or made something like this? Does anyone have some ideas on the thickness of leather that would be needed to stop a knife attack???? Or should I just stay away from anyone asking for a stab proof vest? HaHa

Thanks for your time and input in advance.

Hmmm...good question. First off, being in Hemet and likely near some of the bigger biker clubs, the first question I would ask (unless you already know) is if they want it to wear over or under their 'cut'. If they answer either way, then start asking about club affiliations. If they don't know what you're talking about then I'd start wondering what the heck they need it for. If they are affliated with an MC, then think about whether or not to put your mark on it...doing work for members of one club and not another can brand you as a supporter. Just some things to think about with weird requests like this.

Past that, I don't know that plain leather unless stacked pretty thick would completely suffice against stabs (versus slashing). I think i would personally add another layer of protection to the garment using something like Kevlar ballistic fabric. Here's one source for it:

http://www.armorco.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=212

the stuff is not cheap and requires a special set of shears to cut it (very difficult to cut otherwise) but if the client is willing to pay for the protection, it would do nicely as a liner.

Thanks Spinner, this guy is a bartender and in no way associated with a 1% club. He wants to wear under a jacket. I checked out the link and was wondering if you knew what information the form asks for that they send to to you to fill out prior to being able to purchase the kelvar?

What would you think about waxing the leather to toughen it up?

I would be real carefull about saying that it was stab proof. Even most if not all bullet proof vest arent stab proof. When you think about it a bullet is not as pointed as a knife and when you stab with a knife your putting several thousand pounds of force right on the point of the knife. A bullet spreads out when it hits most of the time and a knife will keep going.That's the way i seen it explained by a bullet proof vest maker. He said all the offered were stab restaint vest.

jayjay - ok, that makes sense. As for the form, it's the typical government oversight stuff that Dupont has to provide reports on for statistics. Basically your info, what the intended use is, etc. I'm sure there is some govy pencil pusher who looks at them from time to time but 1-2 yards won't even put you on the radar. As for the wax question, there is the cuirbolli process of wax hardened leather for medieval armor but I don't know much more than pulling up articles on it. Some of the folks in the reenactment section may have more info. Here's one article: http://www.swordbrother.com/sca/hardleather/

Dirtclod does bring up a good point too. Most manufacturers won't say proof simply because there is always going to be that one thing that gets through. While a combination of treatments might stop a full bladed knife, they might not stop the slim point of an icepick (or shiv) from penetrating and therefore wouldn't be stab-proof in 100% of instances. Kevlar 29 isn't rated for stabbing due to the dispersion reasons dirtclod mentioned but is rated for ballistics. Kevlar 779 is the better 'personal use' fabric as it is made for correctional officer use (stab and low velocity projectiles) but available to the public. If you can find it, Kevlar 159 is actually rated as stab-resistant fabric, designed specifically for that purpose but harder to come by (the forms may get longer...LOL)

You may want to explore the iforgeiron.com site. There are some guys there that dabble in armor making. A really good group of folks who like to help others. You may want to do a combination of leather with metal scales, or some other hard plate protection. Heart, lungs, kidneys should get the most protection.

He must be making some good money to tend a rough bar like that.

You may want to explore the iforgeiron.com site. There are some guys there that dabble in armor making. A really good group of folks who like to help others. You may want to do a combination of leather with metal scales, or some other hard plate protection. Heart, lungs, kidneys should get the most protection.

He must be making some good money to tend a rough bar like that.

Good Idea BGD, I was thinking chainmail at first but anyone who has worn it in even a play fight knows that sharp object still hurt, they just don't penetrate as deep. Scale plate armor might do the trick.

Thanks for the great info folks, I'll keep you posted as I have the conversion with this bar tender. I'll make sure to explain that is a stab "resistant" vest. Thanks again for all your help.

neat thread. i was wondering if boiling some veg tan leather of appropriate thickness to make it harder.it could be installed inside of a vest possibly?

neat thread. i was wondering if boiling some veg tan leather of appropriate thickness to make it harder.it could be installed inside of a vest possibly?

Sure, why not? Pieces could be heated and molded AND compressed to nearly any shape, BUT the resulting material, while hard, is brittle, and could be less resistant to a knife point.

The combination though, of veg tan (after heating / molding / compressing and oiling/waxing) with the vest leather and a kevlar liner, hmm, you may have something there.

This is 2012, tell him just to drop 500 on a real Kevlar vest that is made for that, Complete Protection, front back and sides, then he can bring it to you and you can add some decorative leather to some sections in the front or something.

If he is seriously worried about getting stabbed, let the folks that make Kevlar worry about it!

http://www.bulletpro...Resistant.shtml

500 bucks is the cost of saving your organs from being stewed by a blade!

Any less and you're an idiot for trying to save a few bucks. There are cheaper options as far as types of vests, but if you want Full Front, Back and Side protection then the price is normally about 500.

I have been asked to make similar items for clients, who have A. been on their way to battle, B. hang out places that they might get stabbed.

My answer is always NO!

In the event of them getting stabbed or shot in the head or neck, that is my time and their money wasted...for what so they could look f'ing cool??????????

I DON*T THINK I WANT TO BE A PART OF THAT CHARADE!

If they are serious, then he would buy a pre made PRO MADE VEST!

Besides, if people know you are wearing a vest and it is...OBVIOUS when you are, then they will just shoot you in the face anyway...

People that wear chainmail and leather stuff are re-enactors...

People that are really putting their lives on the line everyday and want the best shot at survival, and don't want to be weighed down all day wear the best!

Police,SWAT,Military,Private Security=KEVLAR!

Edited by chancey77