Sign in to follow this  
LeatherLegion

Air-Brushing

Quick question for those air brushing leather...is there any particular air-brush system that you guys are using? nozzle size ?...i am pretty much interested in "aging" the edges on belts, sheats and so on. I already have a larger compresor that i can adjust the pressure so i would just need the actual "gun" . I really don't want to spend $$$ if i don't have too.

Thanks !!!

I use a Badger that is about 30 years old. I use various sized tips depending on the results I want. Air brushing takes some practice to get it down but the results is awesome. If you have a local community college they might have an airbrush course. Well worth the time.

$14.95 plus tax will get you a good starter gun at Harbor Freight.

I bought two of them, figuring I'd break one quickly (kinda klutzy if you know what I mean), . . . about a year ago, . . . haven't opened the second one yet.

I like it, . . . but i am not as good with it as I would some day like to be.

May God bless,

Dwight

I picked up a Pasche and a cheap air brush, no brand on it and a almost new compressor at the local pawn shop for $115.00. some good deals show up once in a while.

Quick question for those air brushing leather...is there any particular air-brush system that you guys are using? nozzle size ?...i am pretty much interested in "aging" the edges on belts, sheats and so on. I already have a larger compresor that i can adjust the pressure so i would just need the actual "gun" . I really don't want to spend $$$ if i don't have too.

Thanks !!!

It kinda depends on what you are going to use it for. I bought the cheapest rig Harbor Freight has........it included a set of 'quick change' bottles (plastic) and the compressor. It's a direct siphon type of 'gun', without much (if any) adjustment, good for shooting a complete piece in solid color. For feathering or shading it 'tain't too good.......BUT, you CAN make it work......... with LOTS of overspray.

029.jpg

This is about the max I can get out of this rig with the quick change little gun...........but you have to work with it!

001.jpg

What about thinning the dyes? How do you thin them down so you can spray them and how much? I generally use Tandy leather dyes and they are pretty thick.

This is about the max I can get out of this rig with the quick change little gun...........but you have to work with it!

001.jpg

That's all what i need it for !!! Thank you ! I just went out today and bought a siphon type...$15 for the gun, 2 little jars and a small adaptor.I'll have it hooked up inthe next few days and give it a shot.

Thanks again everyone !

What about thinning the dyes? How do you thin them down so you can spray them and how much? I generally use Tandy leather dyes and they are pretty thick.

Frankly, I don't use much of anything from Tandy anymore. Back in the '60s they were not too bad, but since the 'new' Tandy started up, they seem to be a different outfit. I use nothing but Angelus, or Fiebings dyes ......... thinned at least 5 to 1 with denatured alcohol. Mike

Frankly, I don't use much of anything from Tandy anymore. Back in the '60s they were not too bad, but since the 'new' Tandy started up, they seem to be a different outfit. I use nothing but Angelus, or Fiebings dyes ......... thinned at least 5 to 1 with denatured alcohol. Mike

May I ask was denatured alcohol is, where it is generally found, and does it have a other names?

May I ask was denatured alcohol is, where it is generally found, and does it have a other names?

Denatured alcohol is the solvent used in Fiebings and Angelus dyes. Tandy's dyes are water based and the alcohol CAN NOT be used with them ...... just water. For the other spirit based dyes, you can get denatured alcohol at Lowe's, Home Depot, OSH, or most any hardware store. Mike

I presume that is 5 parts dye and 1 part alcohol?

I presume that is 5 parts dye and 1 part alcohol?

Just the opposite .............. 5 parts alcohol to 1 part dye.

Mike