Big K

Cheap Sewing Machine

I'm sure you all are sick of people asking this, but here goes again. Is there any sort of garage sale/craigs list type sewing machine that I can use to sew light leather - 1/4" max. I'm interested in making some small concealed carry pocket holsters out of lighter weight leather. I don't want to mess up the wife's machine and I'd rather not have to hand sew, although I've done it in the past when forced. My budget probably tops out at around $60 - any suggestions?

Thanks!!

:

I'm sure you all are sick of people asking this, but here goes again. Is there any sort of garage sale/craigs list type sewing machine that I can use to sew light leather - 1/4" max. I'm interested in making some small concealed carry pocket holsters out of lighter weight leather. I don't want to mess up the wife's machine and I'd rather not have to hand sew, although I've done it in the past when forced. My budget probably tops out at around $60 - any suggestions?

Thanks!!

:brainbleach: :dunno::rofl::rofl:

Gently put. That just isn't going to happen. On that budget you need to stick to hand sewing. $60 will buy you a good awl, some harness needles, thread and an overstitch marker.

No suggestions, but for the $50 I paid for it plus shipping, I'll send you the Singer 66 I got off ebay that was advertised to sew leather. That way you can tell your wife "See? I need more/better equipment!"

Honestly, the 66 or like machine won't last for long. The motor will go first and soon, you can handwheel it, but it will never sew larger thread well if at all. The singer and others of early/mid century were very good machines, built for the homestead, later they put a very wimpy motor on them good for fabric and maybe denim. Also, when sewing leather, you need to run tensions that just aren't what those little machines were designed for. You need to look for a used 111 class machine.

Art

For that amount of money you likely can not buy thread and needles for a machine that will do the job. You are missing a zero to get a used maching, and for that little ($600) many of us here would be standing in line to get a machine.

My sugestion to you is to try and find someone who has a machine that will let you "practice" on for a few dollars.

If you go to Harbor Freight, . . . get the manager to open up the special order catalog, . . . they have what looks like a pretty good looking walking foot machine.

How long it will last and what is the quality is anyone's guess, . . . but last I heard it is real close to your budget, . . . and is supposed to sew up to 3/8" of dry veggie leather.

I started to buy one (manager told me to order it, . . . pay for it, . . . take it home and use it for up to 29 days, . . . if it didn't work out, . . . he would take it back) but so far my Tippmann does every thing I need, . . . and more than this one would do.

I was going to buy it for belts, . . . but I'd rather be the holster guy, belts on the side.

May God bless,

Dwight

• I meant he could get my 66 so he could be yet another person that learned the hard way that home machines won't do leather.

actually, if you bump up your budget to $75.00 that seems to be the magic number for a lot of older machines if you read craigslist every day.... They might need a little TLC....

if you want an inexpensive machine youre going to have to do your own homework and leg work.

try:

> craigslist as mentioned.

> garage sales

> rummage sales

> estate sales

> Goodwill or similar stores.

> school sales. sometimes they sell off some of their equipment.

> go to your local fabric stores and see if they have a f/s board. look there.

> look at any antique sales/gatherings.

> check your local Police department if they auction/sell any stolen/recovered property.

you may find a good older machine that isnt necessary made for leather, but may work on it. be prepared to have some sample material ready to sew too.

Singer 95-10 will do up to 1/4 of heavy leather.

Thanks!!