rsg3

I need thread advice

Hello folks, i need some advice on thread size or type for hand sewing. Lately i've been using single strand artificial sinew, which i like very well. The problem is the other type and colors of thread i use (which is describe in the catalog i get it from as "Professional saddle stitching thread" and "35 lb strength waxed nylon" ) seems to be too thick to sew with. Most of the time i have to use a set of needlenoses to pull the needles thru the holes, and i break and deform alot of needles doing this. I have drilled my holes in the leather with a 1/16" bit, lately i have used a diamond shaped awl, either way it is still a pain in the hind quarters. Can someone recommend a better thread or am i gonna have to stop being a sissy and use what i got?

Are you using harness needles? I had the same problems you had when I was using regular stiching "egg eye needles". Get some harness needles, you could nail baords together with them. I think they will help a lot.

I have used the same type stuff thread wise and in regards to the drill on some pieces. And I still use needlenose pliers when the going gets tough.

I recieved a new roll of thread today, some Barbours Red Hand Linen 5 core. It seems a little thinner than waxed nylon I have been using. I am going to try it and see how I like it.

Good luck,

Nick

Where do you get your linen? I've bought some from Tandy then I found the same exact linen waxed in the craft section a walmark! I know you can get linen from beilers and I have a HUGE spool of white and black. Always up to try new stuff ;)

-Andrew

I bought my linen thread from Campbell Bosworth's web sight. Since they are not too terribly far from here shipping as quick.

This will be my first time waxing my own thread, it comes un waxed. I am told this is some of the best thread you can buy, plus it comes in a 800 yd roll so it should last a long time.

Nick

How does this linen thread hold up as far as exposure to the elements, the stuff i mainly have been sewing is holsters and belts, so it would have to hold up to wet, occasionally anyways? Thanks for the tip on the harness needles.

I really like using Marlow #4 whipping twine. It's a waxed poly thread. I use it on needles I got from Tandy, and I too drill my holes with a 1/16" bit. With this combo I can get the needles through with relative ease until it comes time to do the back stitches, at which time I use pliers of some variety as well.

Edited by mikeymoto

I use waxed Irish linen thread from Royalwood Ltd in Ohio. www.royalwoodltd.com I also use harness needles, those egg eye needles suck. I use needle nose pliers too.

I use waxed Irish linen thread from Royalwood Ltd in Ohio. www.royalwoodltd.com I also use harness needles, those egg eye needles suck. I use needle nose pliers too.

Grumpy just a thought .... are you tapering the end of thread

that you are putting thru the eye of the needle? maby put a larger stiching

hole in the item you are sewing.