JoelR

Slot Cutter For Belt Loops

Anyone know of a source of oblong punches (bag punches for the search engines) in a suitable size for gun-weight belts of 1 1/2" width. I currently use the two round punches and a chisel method but would like the speed and consistency of a punch. Only issue I have seen is the 1 5/8" punches are only about 3/16" wide and I have found that 3/8" is a better size.

Texas Custom Dies, they made a custom 2.5" for me 3 years ago. The tool still looks new.

quote name='JoelR' timestamp='1316479711' post='214241']

Anyone know of a source of oblong punches (bag punches for the search engines) in a suitable size for gun-weight belts of 1 1/2" width. I currently use the two round punches and a chisel method but would like the speed and consistency of a punch. Only issue I have seen is the 1 5/8" punches are only about 3/16" wide and I have found that 3/8" is a better size.

+1 on Texas Custom Dies. They will make them to any dimension you require and the steel is excellent. The only problem is you may have to regrind them as, unless they have changed their process, they will come sharpened as bag punches. Which means a very steep angle that is OK for punching through 4 to 6 OZ leather but you will never drive it through two layers of 8/9OZ without modifying it somewhat.. Not a hard job and once done I can drive it though with one whack from my 4lb maul.

When I first got my punch, it was hard to punch through thick leather. I purchased a 3 ton arbor press with a hole in the center of the ram and this tool made my job easier. I also use the arbor press to punch letters on the leather and it cosst about the same price as the Tandy letter press.

post-5249-066432100 1316484821_thumb.jpg

Edited by sfcdan

When I first got my punch, it was hard to punch through thick leather. I purchased a 3 ton arbor press with a hole in the center of the ram and this tool made my job easier. I also use the arbor press to punch letters on the leather and it cosst about the same price as the Tandy letter press.

The only problem with the bigger hammer(press) solution is that you run the risk of top grain tearing even if you case the leather. With the steep angle by the time the edge gets through two layers of 8/9OZ your 3/8" X1&1/2" slot on the bottom is 1/2X1&5/8" on the surface as that steep angle has to stretch it's way through. Just much simpler to properly grind it to start with.

Depending on how handy you are, . . . you may make one yourself. I make most of mine I need out of electrical conduit (EMT).

Cut off a piece about 9 inches long to start.

Take it to the sander first, . . . sharpen it all the way around by rolling the edge against the sander, . . . and every now and then put it in a can of water so it don't get over heated.

Then take a piece of 3/8" steel you cut into a long triangle, . . . and rounded both of the long edges real smooth, . . . lay it down on your anvil and start whacking it with a ball peen hammer until you get the slot punch made in the sharpened end of the EMT tubing. Use the 3/8 inch steel to keep the tubing from collapsing and to get the sides straight.

If you start out with a piece of 1 1/4 inch EMT, . . . it should come awful close to finishing out the size you want.

May God bless,

Dwight

Dwight,

Any chance we could get a picture of the finished project so I can wrap my head around the finished concept?

-Robert

Same here, Dwight. I don't quite get what you mean. A picture would be nice.

A few months ago I bought a punch from Texas Die, although I think I need to grind it down as described in an earlier post.