SO, just finished my first holster in Vinagaroon.....nice deep black......sewed it all up.......got it all nice and damp for forming.........

Slowly pushed the Sig P220 into the holster........:censored2:

You got it......1/8 of an inch off.....mmmmmm....the exact measurement of the leather thickness..............

Needless to say, the Sig only made it part way in before it jammed out!

Thought i would post this as a reminder to double check your measurement and not end up with a nice looking holster that is just that.....nice looking

:oops:

"nice and damp"???? try getting it WET.......GOOD and wet......dripping wet-noodle wet......and try it again......if you're gonna make it over anywayz, it's worth a try (?)

I had that happen with a full coverage belt slide for a 226. It ticked me off the point that I grabbed a few square-ish tools, and started stretching leather. The really fun way....you know, put a block on each side, then drive a wedge down between them? I stretched it 'til it tried to Moo again. Then I put the pistol in it and finished boning it. I let it mostly dry, then put the pistol BACK in it and molded some more. When I was satisfied that it was done being ornery, I put it on the drying rack. The end result is a leather belt slide that actually *clicks* when the pistol is fully holstered. Good retention, good release with a sharp tug.

Break out the tools and see if you can convince it to give up the eighth inch.

yup, super soak it and try again. use carnuba wax if needed lol. doesnt cost anything to try.

Don't be hard on yourself Warpe. It's only 1/8th.

Grind the gun down! Duh!

whatdoyouthink.gif

Kevin

I feel your pain... I had the same thing happen recently. The guy I made it for happened to have a pistol that was slightly smaller than the one the holster was intended for; So now he's getting two holsters- the one I made too small, and the one I'm gonna make the right size.

I think I was off by a 1/4...

Nooj

SO, just finished my first holster in Vinagaroon.....nice deep black......sewed it all up.......got it all nice and damp for forming.........

Slowly pushed the Sig P220 into the holster........:censored2:

You got it......1/8 of an inch off.....mmmmmm....the exact measurement of the leather thickness..............

Needless to say, the Sig only made it part way in before it jammed out!

Thought i would post this as a reminder to double check your measurement and not end up with a nice looking holster that is just that.....nice looking

:oops:

FWIW: As said more than once...soak that puppy down..... wet noodle wet and FORCE it. The leather should go and after molding, you'll have not wasted leather nor time. A plasic freezer bag helps the gun slide over the leather. Mike

Edited by katsass

I've only worked with Vinegaroon twice. The most recent one came out fine (for a revolver, and had very little forming), but the first one was a lesson in workflow... I don't know exactly what/how it works, but it's my understanding that Vinegaroon makes the leather almost water resistant because the properties of the leather have been altered. You will definitely have to soak it a very long time for the water to penetrate, but even then, I'd worry that you won't be able to effectively mold the holster. In my opinion, your best bet might be to start over, and apply the vinegaroon (instead of water) when you wet the leather for forming, or wait until after it's been formed (with water), and completely dried and hardened.

Thanks for all the support and ideas to make the cow submit to torture, but alas....my mis-stitch is my downfall.

I tried the super wet noodle approach with no success. I concur with you Particle, Vinagaroon definitely adds some serious

water resistance to the leather!

The good news is this holster will be useable for another auto....just not the one it was designed for .... sigh.

If you are only 1/8" off as you say, you aren't trying hard enough. I've literally hammered handguns into their too-tight holsters in the past (relax, they were my handguns and not a customer's). As others have stated, they usually end up with the best 'feel' when all is said and done.

I put the stitch lines too close on a holster last year. I didn't think to try and stretch it, so I tried all my blue guns. One would go in so I formed the holster around that gun. It wasn't a great match and the stitch line looks funny so I never completed the holster.

I posted about vinegaroon last year as well. I used it on each piece before assembly. It was a mistake since I was unable to form it at all. It sits collecting dust. Maybe I should put it and a couple of other failures into a holster collage or make a hanging holster mobile from them.

I have no experience with vinegaroon so I can't comment on any possible connections of that with your present difficulties. However, I recall a few years ago when I had spent several hours making an order of IWB-style holsters, then did all the belt straps separately. The straps were cut of 7/8 veg-tan, 1" width and 6" length, then placed into the water to be formed (usually about 15 seconds or so). I forgot about the straps, closed the shop down, and went home. Next morning (about 14 hours later) I found the straps in the water and took them out. They were absolutely soaked, cooked noodle consistency, and they looked different. Measuring them I found them to be 1-1/8" width and 6-3/4" length, and quite uniform in overall dimensions. In that case the leather had expanded roughly 12% in both length and width.

My point is that veg-tanned leather will expand naturally with extended soaking in water. It will also stretch considerably while wet.

I suggest that you put that holster in a bucket of water and soak it completely. Check it at intervals of about 2 hours or so. I think you will find that sometime during the next 12 hours or so that the holster has expanded in all dimensions noticably, probably enough for you to proceed with forming.

Since the experience described above I have incorporated the intentional stretching of leather in several holster designs. Features such as molded-in sight channels can be forcibly stretched in with little or no adjustment to cutting and stitch-lines. Some applications require the use of a rubber mallet to drive the dummy gun into the wet leather, and some require forcing it in an inch or so at a time, then allowing it to stretch out before proceeding to the next inch, completing the stretching a bit at a time.

Also remember that leather that has been stretched while wet will shrink back somewhat during the drying period. Many holsters made in this manner require re-fitting after final finishes have been applied due to continued contraction. When this happens a plastic freezer bag can be placed over the dummy gun, then forced into the holster and allowed to sit for 4 to 8 hours (overnight works well). This will consistently result in an excellent fit.

Try it. The materials have already been paid for, and you have done all the work to this point. Nothing to lose, but you may end up with a nicely fitted holster after all.

well, i will give it one more "super soak" and see if it will expand enough.

The problem is i have a stitch that sit right against the the frame, so i am not sure how much

give i am going to get.

But, as stated....its already paid for......

I had that happen with a full coverage belt slide for a 226. It ticked me off the point that I grabbed a few square-ish tools, and started stretching leather. The really fun way....you know, put a block on each side, then drive a wedge down between them? I stretched it 'til it tried to Moo again. Then I put the pistol in it and finished boning it. I let it mostly dry, then put the pistol BACK in it and molded some more. When I was satisfied that it was done being ornery, I put it on the drying rack. The end result is a leather belt slide that actually *clicks* when the pistol is fully holstered. Good retention, good release with a sharp tug.

Break out the tools and see if you can convince it to give up the eighth inch.

That's what I look for in my holsters -- a smooth push in and then "click" as it snaps into place.

I dunk them in vinegaroon after they have dried.

tk

I still think grinding the gun down a 1/8 is an option. But then again who am I?blahblahblah.gifwhatdoyouthink.gif