UKRay

Shoveling Snow - Any Suggestions?

I have been meaning to buy a snow shovel for several years and have got away with it so far... Now i'm told the snow is almost upon us again so i'm going to bite the bullet. My question is what sort of snow shovel should I get?

You guys in the US and Canada know far more about snow than I ever will - although the weather forecast is suggesting I'm about to learn.... What sort of shovel do you use? Metal? Plastic? What? Help!

Pictures / links would be a great help.

Note: Backhoes, JCBs and mini-diggers don't count. I couldn't get one into my yard! LOL

Ray

Ray the only thing i shovel is a path to the mail box. I figure it's going to melt in a couple of days around here anyway.

But i did find this shovel plow on you tube and theirs a lot more ideals for your shovel.

Edited by dirtclod

The only problem is that I'm no good with machinery... lol

Ray

I prefer a plastic shovel. It's lighter weight (quieter too) and if you have alot to shovel it's easier on the back. Here in Indiana we've had a few bad snow storms here and there so I'm used to shoveling. I'm hoping I won't have to get mine out too much this winter. :thumbsdown:

I recommend you get the type that comes attached to a neighbor's kid, preferably one that will barter labor for cool leather items.

TwinOaks suggestion was a good one!

I spent a couple of years in upstate New York (the last year they had 92 inches of snow for the season). My solution was to move back to Texas. It was snowing when the movers loaded up the truck, and I asked them to let me know when they were done (as they had to occasionally use the snow shovel on their ramp). When they finished, I nailed that damned snow shovel to the wall of the garage. The truck driver said, "That looks like a fairly new shovel." It is, I replied. "Well, what are you going to do when it snows in Texas?", he asked. I answered, "I'm going to fix something hot to drink, pour some bourbon in it, and watch it snow. Then, I'll watch it melt, but I'm never shoveling another flake of snow."

The polycarbonate ones are awesome. They are light, but you can still scrape aggressively with them. I prefer a bent handle and a pusher style with slight side edges. Pushing beats lifting everytime. When the snow builds enough to not be able to push off, then you run it upt he bank and over. In Minnesota we know ice and snow.

My local farm store has some powerful looking lightweight aluminum shovels - they any good?

The long range forecast is looking worse for the Welsh border...

Ray

Hi Ray-

I personally do not like the aluminum shovels. For me, the snow seems to stick to aluminum more than plastic. You'll end up knocking as much off of the shovel as you do scooping. Only real tip I'd relay would be to get a shovel with the ergonomic handles on them. Easier on the back than the straight handles. Keep after the snowfall- it's easier to shovel an inch or two at a time than to try to tackle 2 feet all at once. :P

Crystal

Here are two good options, Ray. Both tested and approved !

/ Knut

post-5173-092523700 1318783611_thumb.jpg

post-5173-092512100 1318783793_thumb.jpg

Thanks muchly, Crystal. I'll get a plastic one then!

Oldtimer - I've seen the snow in your part of the world.Let's be honest, I'm simply not in that league. The amazing snow blower is a tad more than I can run to this month and I'm not sure where i'd keep it in the summer, lol, but the shovel looks like a winner!

Stay warm, folks.

Ray

The forecast is a cold , snowy winter again, so you´d better be prepared, Ray. Studded now tires, anti freeze coolant in your car - and - a good snow shovel and a pair of long johns !

( a good alterantive to snow shoveling is hibernation, like the bear ! )

/ Knut

I like the sound of hibernation, Knut!

Ray

I like the ones that take gasoline! I used to live in Delaware and hated shoveling. I bought a blower and this was the best move I ever made. sold it when I left for texas. If I ever went back, I'd buy another snow blower, before I buy groceries!

I have been meaning to buy a snow shovel for several years and have got away with it so far... Now i'm told the snow is almost upon us again so i'm going to bite the bullet. My question is what sort of snow shovel should I get?

You guys in the US and Canada know far more about snow than I ever will - although the weather forecast is suggesting I'm about to learn.... What sort of shovel do you use? Metal? Plastic? What? Help!

Pictures / links would be a great help.

Note: Backhoes, JCBs and mini-diggers don't count. I couldn't get one into my yard! LOL

Ray

i recommend moving to Phoenix. that'll solve your snow shovel debate. cheers.gif

I like the ones that take gasoline! I used to live in Delaware and hated shoveling. I bought a blower and this was the best move I ever made. sold it when I left for texas. If I ever went back, I'd buy another snow blower, before I buy groceries!

:16:

Even better is THEN to hire a kid to run it while you sit inside in the warm & watch him :P lol...

If I only had one shovel it would be a bent handle w/ plastic blade.

But I also have a steel bladed straight handle for scraping down to walkway (u can wax it up like skiis to prevent ANY snow clinging).

Regretfully, Phoenix isn't an option at present and, truth be told, I quite like living in the UK. Having said that, I have enjoyed Las Vegas a number of times and was even there when it rained once. The streets flooded and It was rather like being at home but with more lights and big buildings - and far fewer sheep.. although I did see a goat in a dress, but maybe that belongs in another story...

Marlon, that snow blower looks like a wonderful idea but how does it cope with slush and ice?

Moxgrove - I promise not to lift, just push... I can't bear the thought of straining something important...

Neighbour's kid? Brilliant!

Unlike some of you folks, we don't need too many words for snow over here. Mostly we get thick white stuff followed by wet slushy stuff, quickly followed by black icy stuff. I hate all of it pretty evenly. I simply need to get out of my yard gate to buy food occasionally otherwise, I promise you, I really would hibernate! lol

Ray

Snow Shovel!?!? Ever thought about USRay? Southern California is waiting for you! Steve

Edited by Cobra Steve

Ray, this is my favorite combination for shoveling snow - plastic shovel and a good husband to operate it. Works great out here!

post-5669-037405200 1318890396_thumb.jpg

You could try a flamethrower...

at least that's what the Mayor of Boston requested from the president of MIT.

No joke.

Use Flamethrowers to Melt Snow?

On the more serious side of the issue (which admittedly is rare for me), don't buy too much shovel. It may be great for doing large swaths of the white, but keep the weight in mind. Snow can weigh anywhere from around 6 Kilos to close to 30 Kilos per cubic .028 meter .........(aside: just what is the conversion for cubic foot?) .........and you've already said that you get a good bit of the wet slushy snow, so figure you'll be on the heavier end of that range.

Grab too much snow and turn the wrong way and the ol' back is going to protest vehemently.

Regretfully, Phoenix isn't an option at present and, truth be told, I quite like living in the UK. Having said that, I have enjoyed Las Vegas a number of times and was even there when it rained once. The streets flooded and It was rather like being at home but with more lights and big buildings - and far fewer sheep.. although I did see a goat in a dress, but maybe that belongs in another story...

Marlon, that snow blower looks like a wonderful idea but how does it cope with slush and ice?

Moxgrove - I promise not to lift, just push... I can't bear the thought of straining something important...

Neighbour's kid? Brilliant!

Unlike some of you folks, we don't need too many words for snow over here. Mostly we get thick white stuff followed by wet slushy stuff, quickly followed by black icy stuff. I hate all of it pretty evenly. I simply need to get out of my yard gate to buy food occasionally otherwise, I promise you, I really would hibernate! lol

Ray

[/quot

JIM please come home....I think your Dad is going to suffer this Snow Season :Lighten::youwish:

Ray,

Not sure how it will handle slush and ice. Maybe a 2 stage is what you need. I know ice gets compacted and is hard to break up. Might want to ask a manufacturer how well it copes with your climate.

you might need to install heaters under your driveway!

Unlike some of you folks, we don't need too many words for snow over here. Mostly we get thick white stuff followed by wet slushy stuff, quickly followed by black icy stuff.

Ray

Ray,

You missed the main type of snow we have here - according to the railways and highway maintenance whenever there is a delay/road closure -'...the wrong kind of snow...'

You would think that in a country at the same latitude as Minsk and Hudson Bay we would expect a wee bit of the white stuff even though it seems recently we have failed to pay our dues for the Gulf Stream which now appears to prefer the coasts of Iceland and Greenland

Gary

Edited by gary