swivel knife

Swivel Knife Barrel Size

Hello!

I plan to buy a Barry King Swivel knife.

My Qustions are:

What means "Barrel Size"? I have the Tandy leather pro Swivel knife (same as at my avatar) and a cheep Swivel knife from Tandy. Mybe anyone knows the barrel size of this knifes.

What is the difference in the size of the Swivel Knife Blades?

ciao and greetings from Hamburg, Germany

Edited by swivel knife

It will depend on the kinda of work I was going to be doing. If I am working on small detail carving, I will usually bust out my 3/8" barrel Leather Wrangler or Chuck Smith. If I was working on a large pattern or large design, I have a swivel knife barrel up to 5/8" at my disposal. Obviously, the blade size would be according to the size of the barrel. I would kinda take measurements for you, but all of my stuff is still packed from my recent move. I would say that the Pro is either 1/2" or 5/8". The Tandy basic swivel knife is maybe 7/16", but do not quote my math.

Good luck.

I'd ask Barry what he recommends based on what you are carving. He really knows leather and if he knows how you plan to use his tool he will make sure you get the right one to suit your needs.

Dave

Good Morning,

for my understanding,

The barrel sitze ist the diameter of the round block you turn between your thumb and your middle finger. , ist that right?

Maybe anyone can trake a foto with different swivelknifeblades laying on a one dollar note. This is the best way to ckeck the size. Here in Germany we use the mertic system. dates in inch are not popular.

when I count inch in cm for me it is not clear. If I see a picture it will be glas clear

lutz

Good Morning,

for my understanding,

The barrel sitze ist the diameter of the round block you turn between your thumb and your middle finger. , ist that right?

when I count inch in cm for me it is not clear. If I see a picture it will be glas clear

lutz

Good Morning Lutz.

You are right that it is the diameter of the barrel (round block as you called it)...

To make the conversion easier for you http://www.onlineconversion.com/length_common.htm You can actually put down 5/8 in the inch section and have it correctly converted in to cm/mm whatever you like. Good Luck :-)

It's really hard to understand the lack of knowledge of a few conversions between metric (SI) and English units in both North America and Europe. I see it frequently here, plus in engineering offices!

1 inch = 2.54 cm or 25.4 mm from there on it is a little simple math to do the conversion. No special tools or software or websites required.

1/4 inch = 6.4 mm

And for the metric folks, 12 inches = 1 foot. 3 feet = 1 yard.

As a rough comparisons:

1 yard is a little short of a metre. 30 cm is a little short of a foot (12 inches).

For volume, 1 litre is very close to 1 US quart.

For weight, 1 pound is 454 grams, or 1 kg is 2.21 pounds.

For temperature, I'll leave that for you to think about, but you should have learned the conversion formulae in grade school.

It's really hard to understand the lack of knowledge of a few conversions between metric (SI) and English units in both North America and Europe. .

For temperature, I'll leave that for you to think about, but you should have learned the conversion formulae in grade school.

I have been living at both continents and there is not much mystery behind the lack of knollage at all...In the US (I don't know about Canada) they learn inches and such in math class...In the bigger part of Europe we learn the metric system, simple. The only reason you try to learn "the other system" is IF you have use for it, why bother otherwice?

In my own experience both with doing art work like drawing and painting and now leather work, find and use whatever helps you to control the instrument the best. For me I have big ol hands and trying to accurately move a little barreled swivel knife around in the fasion that you need to just doesnt work for me. I have far better control by using the bigger ones and changing the blade size out as is determined by the carving. I will put those rubber things on my thinner swivel knifes to make my grip a little easier.

Ofcourse this is like anything else, personal preference is different with everyone you talk to.

I just use a Old Tandy barrel. It has a lot of grip on the barrel for the tight corners and scrolls. Just put a sharp blade on it and strop with a Micro Green Rouge. Save your cash for that big tooling side you want to purchase.