Sign in to follow this  
King's X

Custom Travel Awl/burnisher

It has been a while since I posted on here thought I am usually viewing and replying to thread posts. I did want to show off a special tool that designed and sold to some of my Facebook friends. I mainly designed this tool for when I travel to do leathercraft. Since I wanted to keep my tool toting to a minimum, I started thinking of tools that had multi purposes. This tool was designed to be used as a scratch awl, gouge awl (hole enlargement), partial slicker, embossing point and most importantly a burnisher.

The lower part of the tool is slick and contour steel to a sharp point. The upper part is a custom lathe Cocobolo handle. Together they make an awesome tool for any leathercrafter. Since I do this as a hobby, and not a business, I committed to only making 24 of these little titans. I am committing to promoting this craft so I have given several of these away to include one at this year's IFLOG show in New Mexico.

The second picture shows a comparison to a larger awl prototype that I had made that stays on my workbench. Side note: I do want to personally thank 'Spinner' for his innovative and constructive assistance on this and other designs that he has helped me out on.

What do you all think of the tool and purpose?

post-6330-085711700 1321918139_thumb.jpg

post-6330-073681200 1321918148_thumb.jpg

Very slick looking tool! I like that it's multi-purpose.:notworthy:

Those look gorgeous. Beautiful design and execution. I think a lot of people would be interested in them if the price was right. It would probably appeal to upholsterers and corsetmakers (for poking holes in woven fabric for grommets) as well.

It has been a while since I posted on here thought I am usually viewing and replying to thread posts. I did want to show off a special tool that designed and sold to some of my Facebook friends. I mainly designed this tool for when I travel to do leathercraft. Since I wanted to keep my tool toting to a minimum, I started thinking of tools that had multi purposes. This tool was designed to be used as a scratch awl, gouge awl (hole enlargement), partial slicker, embossing point and most importantly a burnisher.

The lower part of the tool is slick and contour steel to a sharp point. The upper part is a custom lathe Cocobolo handle. Together they make an awesome tool for any leathercrafter. Since I do this as a hobby, and not a business, I committed to only making 24 of these little titans. I am committing to promoting this craft so I have given several of these away to include one at this year's IFLOG show in New Mexico.

The second picture shows a comparison to a larger awl prototype that I had made that stays on my workbench. Side note: I do want to personally thank 'Spinner' for his innovative and constructive assistance on this and other designs that he has helped me out on.

Edited by Mokosh

I like--this would be a great travel tool. Have you decided how much you'll be selling them for?

I'd also be interested in one of these tools if the price was right! Very nice work!

I sold these for $45 plus $4.95 for shipping within the US. Our foreign brothers and sisters had to pay their way. I will have a few more assembled in the next week, but I will stop at the limit. I am working on another tool design and patterns.

Thanks for the comments.

As KX mentioned, I can attest to these being sharp little buggers! When I was doing the turning part and test fitting the handles to KX's specifications, I poked many a hole in leather and hand alike! ;)

For those that know of my dremel & drill burnishers, the handles for these travel-all-awls are turned from the same high quality cocobolo and incorporate the 4 most commonly requested channels.

The awl blades are an excellent quality as well and during my limited time with the first one, it was a real nice tool to use.

Messages sent out. I only have 10 out of 24 left.

Thanks for the kind words!

X

I too would like one. I am brand new to leather and so far have bought a swivel knife, an awl and an edge border tool. nothing produced yet, just aquiring some tools to get started.....can I use paypal?

I would like to reserve one. Let me know where and how you would like payment.

Joefarmer

Messages sent out. I only have 10 out of 24 left.

Thanks for the kind words!

X

JoeFarmer

I have one left. I will message you via LW.

Thanks

Those are a really beautiful and well make looking tool. From reading all the posts I'm afraid you've "created a monster!" People are going to be beating down your door trying to get one!

Great job!

Bill

GringoBill

I appreciate the comments. Yes, the door has been knocking constantly, but when I hit 24 it is over for this little Titan.

Thanks again

Another set of tools have been completed and assembled. For those of you that were interested and paid; your tool has been shipped today. If you encounter any problems whatsoever with your tool, please contact me.

I appreciate your support and hope that you enjoy the tool!

Thanks again!

Another set of tools have been completed and assembled. For those of you that were interested and paid; your tool has been shipped today. If you encounter any problems whatsoever with your tool, please contact me.

I appreciate your support and hope that you enjoy the tool!

Thanks again!

I too would love to own one of your fantastic tools. If you have any left or make more please pm me w/ price and paypal payment instructions. Ty