talon

Open Plans For Hand Press

OK, I posted about this earlier but now have a better direction and figured it warranted a new, more focused thread.

Background

I've wanted to get into a press for setting rivets and snaps for quite some time. Now I finally have the financial means to do it, but really see the value in a low cost option for setting hardware. Even the cheapest routes put you around $200 for a cheap hand press and single set of dies. I know that for some small guys thats way to much to spend on such an item.

Concept

The idea is to create a cheap and simple design for a press based around the inexpensive arbor presses found at Harbor Freight Tools. I think that one could build an effective press for various harware using basic tools (drill press, hack saw, tap) and modify inexpensive hand setting tools and punches for dies ($15 bucks per die set instead of $60). Here, I want to present my ideas and open it up to others can offer some valuable input.

Estimated Cost

Arbor Press - $34.99

Metal - $24.29 Shipped

Set Screws - $3.00

Tandy Snap-All/Rivet Setter Set $18.00

Total Price: $80.28

If you are interested, Please let me know on here! I hope this work will be beneficial for someone.

I'm just putting the finishing touches on my drawings and I'll post them up with the material specs in the next day or two.

Thanks

Clay

OK, I posted about this earlier but now have a better direction and figured it warranted a new, more focused thread.

Background

I've wanted to get into a press for setting rivets and snaps for quite some time. Now I finally have the financial means to do it, but really see the value in a low cost option for setting hardware. Even the cheapest routes put you around $200 for a cheap hand press and single set of dies. I know that for some small guys thats way to much to spend on such an item.

Concept

The idea is to create a cheap and simple design for a press based around the inexpensive arbor presses found at Harbor Freight Tools. I think that one could build an effective press for various harware using basic tools (drill press, hack saw, tap) and modify inexpensive hand setting tools and punches for dies ($15 bucks per die set instead of $60). Here, I want to present my ideas and open it up to others can offer some valuable input.

Estimated Cost

Arbor Press - $34.99

Metal - $24.29 Shipped

Set Screws - $3.00

If you are interested, Please let me know on here! I hope this work will be beneficial for someone.

I'm just putting the finishing touches on my drawings and I'll post them up with the material specs in the next day or two.

Thanks

Clay

looking forward to see how it works.

Brian

looking forward to see how it works.

Brian

sail rite has the press n snap on sale now for 35.00 off 114.00 after disc

Background

Concept

Estimated Cost

Arbor Press - $34.99

Metal - $24.29 Shipped

Set Screws - $3.00

Thanks

Clay

uh oh, now you've done it...You got the frustrated engineer in me going..... my husbands drill press is in serious danger now. LOL Why couldn't one use an existing drill press, build a block to raise the bed and just use it turned off? Just chuck the hand tools as is... and mash away?

Where is the discount? Website has it for 139.00

Talon, you are on the right track with the arbor press, I got one from work for $5 took the press shaft and drilled in the bottom center to fit a die then drilled in from the side taped threads and added a detente screw to hold the die in

place, for the bottom I drilled a hole in the plate that was on the press then took a 1" shaft cut to length welded a collar on the shaft and drilled a hole in the center top to set the die in, I also take the dies out and use it to press my makers stamp in.

This has made both operations much easier, the snap set much titer and neater then hand pounding them.

good luck

Tom

OK, here is the first batch of drawings. I haven't made one yet but I hope to get to it next week.

Really it can be built using just a hack saw, drill, and appropriate taps. (obviously other tools could simplify the process).

The sleeve (a piece of 11 guage 1" x 1.5" rectangular steel tubing) mounts to the ram of the press using set screws and two spacers (made of .5 x .25" flat stock) then the a steel insert is placed in the sleeve that has a hole drilled in it to accept a modified (shortened) hand setting tool from Tandy.

OpenPress.zip

post-19397-044514300 1324164465_thumb.pn

uh oh, now you've done it...You got the frustrated engineer in me going..... my husbands drill press is in serious danger now. LOL Why couldn't one use an existing drill press, build a block to raise the bed and just use it turned off? Just chuck the hand tools as is... and mash away?

I suppose that method might work for some. There are a few reasons why I think the press would be a better option.

1. Strength. A drill press's rack and pinion system is not designed to withstand the level of force that the press can generate. Often with a dill press you will find the head is held in place with only a single set screw on the column, not exactly built for rigidity.

2. Wear of a precision machine. Since a drill press is not meant for such use, I would be concerned about the wear that will take place on your rack and pinion system. We take for granted the accuracy you can get out of even a low cost drill press, and that accuracy and repeatability can easily be ruined.

3. Cost, I know that previously I suggested that it would require a drill press, but in reality it only requires a drill. Generally speaking, a drill press will be more expensive than an arbor press.

Just my opinion of course.

Edited by talon

Talon, you are on the right track with the arbor press, I got one from work for $5 took the press shaft and drilled in the bottom center to fit a die then drilled in from the side taped threads and added a detente screw to hold the die in

place, for the bottom I drilled a hole in the plate that was on the press then took a 1" shaft cut to length welded a collar on the shaft and drilled a hole in the center top to set the die in, I also take the dies out and use it to press my makers stamp in.

This has made both operations much easier, the snap set much titer and neater then hand pounding them.

good luck

Tom

Thanks Tom, I've seen that its fairly common for people to use arbor presses for this use. It makes a lot of sense. Thats actually what I've done to mine as well, although my top dies just press in instead of using a set screw.

I also had another problem, my drill press is only a bench model and didn't have the height to drill the end of the ram. I had to stretch to get it to work and it cause me to drill the hole at a slight angle. This makes it a bit harder to set snaps well as it tends to roll one side more than the other. This route will take out that need. (my only other option to correct it is to take it to a machine shop because I don't think I could drill it accurately by hand).

The other advantage of this, for me atleast, is that it allows me to create a new insert cheaply if I need to use it for another type of die that requires a different hole size.

Excellent idea for the bottom die. That would be a very firm way of holding the die.

-Clay

Thanks for the news. I think that would be a great option, the only problem for me is that I can't set rivets with it.

Some place on the forums I posted pics of the arbor press I modified. I can set rivets, snaps, use stamping tools, etc.

Access this: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=34570&st=0&p=214265&hl=+arbor%20+press&fromsearch=1entry214265

ferg

Thanks Tom, I've seen that its fairly common for people to use arbor presses for this use. It makes a lot of sense. Thats actually what I've done to mine as well, although my top dies just press in instead of using a set screw.

I also had another problem, my drill press is only a bench model and didn't have the height to drill the end of the ram. I had to stretch to get it to work and it cause me to drill the hole at a slight angle. This makes it a bit harder to set snaps well as it tends to roll one side more than the other. This route will take out that need. (my only other option to correct it is to take it to a machine shop because I don't think I could drill it accurately by hand).

The other advantage of this, for me atleast, is that it allows me to create a new insert cheaply if I need to use it for another type of die that requires a different hole size.

Excellent idea for the bottom die. That would be a very firm way of holding the die.

-Clay

Thanks for the news. I think that would be a great option, the only problem for me is that I can't set rivets with it.

Some place on the forums I posted pics of the arbor press I modified. I can set rivets, snaps, use stamping tools, etc.

Access this: http://leatherworker...=1

ferg

Thanks for that. I like the table and fence that you put in there. Do you find that when you use a tool with a smaller diameter that it stays stable?

Thanks,

Clay

Clay,

This little tool is bolted to my work bench. Everything I have tried to do or done with it has worked almost perfectly.

ferg

Thanks for that. I like the table and fence that you put in there. Do you find that when you use a tool with a smaller diameter that it stays stable?

Thanks,

Clay