BearMan

Crocodile Guitar Strap

Hi Everybody,

First off,,, I want to thank everybody for all the wonderful compliments on the Gunsmith Mat!

Here is a guitar strap I made for my Son. It's something a bit outside of the things I usually make. It's made with a Nile Crocodile back strap, that I inlayed into the strap. It's been so long since I worked with one of these, that I forgot how much of a pain they are, to layout, stitch,,, or especially cut. The "Horned" knobs are about a cross between rawhide & bone in hardness to cut. So, laying it out & cutting the pattern, with only about 3/16" border, was a real challenge. I lined the inside with some 3oz leather, & incorporated a section with his stylized initials.

Thanks for looking,,, Ed the"BearMan"

post-7175-051058200 1324271990_thumb.jpg

post-7175-012189900 1324272008_thumb.jpg

post-7175-081689500 1324272025_thumb.jpg

That is beautiful. Amazing work.

Kevin

Wow! Very nice work. :thumbsup: How long did it take you?

Nice! Your work is always so fine. (why do I keep hearing Elton John in my head when I look at this?):crazy:

Ed,

That is a very nice looking piece and the execution is great. Maybe this could become another signature series product for you.

Regards,

Ben

Hi everybody,

Thanks for all the wonderful comments! Ben,,, Hmmm,,, well maybe,,, I'm not doing anything between midnite & 4 am,,, hehehe I didn't really keep track of the time, but,,, I probably have about 20-30 hours in it. A lot of back & forth,, grinding the plates,,, test fitting,,, grinding some more, & so on.

Hi Everybody,

First off,,, I want to thank everybody for all the wonderful compliments on the Gunsmith Mat!

Here is a guitar strap I made for my Son. It's something a bit outside of the things I usually make. It's made with a Nile Crocodile back strap, that I inlayed into the strap. It's been so long since I worked with one of these, that I forgot how much of a pain they are, to layout, stitch,,, or especially cut. The "Horned" knobs are about a cross between rawhide & bone in hardness to cut. So, laying it out & cutting the pattern, with only about 3/16" border, was a real challenge. I lined the inside with some 3oz leather, & incorporated a section with his stylized initials.

Ed, I've found that those hard scales and tiles will cut much easier if they are wetted with warm water.

Paul, have you ever tried sewing through the scales / hard points using the warm water ? I tried sewing a piece on my machine yesterday and the horn / scale just pushed the needle off to the side except for one that did go through and the needle wouldn't come out. I don't have a scrap piece to try the warm water way on or i would try it myself.

John

That's an incredible strap nice work hope to get that good some day