Tanthathide9

Uneven Cuts From A Round

Couldn't think of a better title but my problem is this, I cut my first round and began cutting my first strings today I started out a 1/4" strip from a 2' round I used a push take and twine to make my circle and tin snips to cut it out. After soaking at work to cut my string from it btw I'm using the strap cutter from Tandy wooden one, long story short idk if it's me or the wrong tool for the job, but my cut is horrible it tapers in and out and I'm gonna have to strip to about a 1/8" which is no biggie but when I want 1/4" string that's what I expect it to cut again my first time maybe my moisture content wasn't right and it was putting blade in a bind idk any advice better tool selection etc would be awesome thanks in advance

Josh

I can only guess some things here as we need a little more info to give good advise. You are cutting rawhide strings, yes? If so, the strap cutter is probably not the right tool. I use the Australian Strander for cutting rawhide strings, or lace. Yes, the moisture will make a lot of difference. My guess is it was too wet. Needs to be a little firm to be able to cut good lace. I have never tried to cut lace from a small circle like you are doing. Give us more information and we will all be happy to help, imho.

I can only guess some things here as we need a little more info to give good advise. You are cutting rawhide strings, yes? If so, the strap cutter is probably not the right tool. I use the Australian Strander for cutting rawhide strings, or lace. Yes, the moisture will make a lot of difference. My guess is it was too wet. Needs to be a little firm to be able to cut good lace. I have never tried to cut lace from a small circle like you are doing. Give us more information and we will all be happy to help, imho.

With all do respect sir, could u be a little more specific with that? I'm not not sure what else there is I can say? What exactly are u looking for? Cutting string from a round with a strap cutter, strings do not have a straight edge after cutting they look like this { as opposed to this | (straight), the round was soaked first then sat out to drip dry before cutting....that's about all I did, that's as far as my knowledge goes on cutting string so that's the best I can do sir but, I believe I'm using the wrong tool as u suggested thank u for ur time sir

I would suggest you let the rawhide dry some befoer trying to cut it. Try letting it dry to soft but not floppy and see if that will help. Also, make sure your blade is very sharp.

I have actually had alot more sucess with the wooden strap cutter from tandy than or an aussie cutter. The aussie cutter works really good but it hurts my hand after about 20 minutes. The problem with the strap cutter is the big hole in the middle of the handle opposite from the blade. I just taped a little chunk of leather to the handle inside where that big hole is. I will also free hand the outside of the hide in about the first eight inches or so in diamater so i can cut the string a little wider in the flank and neck if I am making a reata so i can just get one really long string.

Edited by broncstompinben

I have actually had alot more sucess with the wooden strap cutter from tandy than or an aussie cutter. The aussie cutter works really good but it hurts my hand after about 20 minutes. The problem with the strap cutter is the big hole in the middle of the handle opposite from the blade. I just taped a little chunk of leather to the handle inside where that big hole is. I will also free hand the outside of the hide in about the first eight inches or so in diamater so i can cut the string a little wider in the flank and neck if I am making a reata so i can just get one really long string.

I will try letting it dry a little longer thanks rcsaddles

Thanks too bronc stompin I will try that as well

Thanks for all advice

Mostpeople use a draw gauge for cutting from a round from what I can tell.

gomph-draw-gauge-left.jpg

I tend to get results alot like what you describe, I think the biggest thing is cut more string (practice practice practice). I have also used a sharp pocketknife and sharp scissors. I have a broom handle with a slot cut in it with abolt threw it so you can clamp a razor blade in and set a nail for width, thatI got from CurlyJo. I haven't had a chance to use it yet.

You certainly want to make sure that you don't have the hide too wet. I wouldsay to wet is much worse than to dry, but just right is best. You also want totry to make sure you cut your circle where the thickness is fairly consistent.Going from real thin to real thick will cause you real grief.

Mostlycut more hide and you will get better at it.

Couldn't think of a better title but my problem is this, I cut my first round and began cutting my first strings today I started out a 1/4" strip from a 2' round I used a push take and twine to make my circle and tin snips to cut it out. After soaking at work to cut my string from it btw I'm using the strap cutter from Tandy wooden one, long story short idk if it's me or the wrong tool for the job, but my cut is horrible it tapers in and out and I'm gonna have to strip to about a 1/8" which is no biggie but when I want 1/4" string that's what I expect it to cut again my first time maybe my moisture content wasn't right and it was putting blade in a bind idk any advice better tool selection etc would be awesome thanks in advance

Josh

Hi there:

I was wondering about your choice of making a circle then trying to cut it. Here is one video that shows the tandy lace cutter and how it's used on "raw hide"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXKAFsNFuB0

Here is tandy's video.

I find it interesting that in the first video, the guy uses rawhide dog chew toys to get his rawhide. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Good luck I hope you get the cuts you are wanting.

I can't thank everyone enough for all the help tried using a bad part of the hide to practice with before I got into my better parts so it had some belly and part of hip back along with it so my thickness differences could have played apart a well as moisture again after thinking about it I could have mentioned that (my apologies rcsaddles) again practice makes perfect thanks again for such great advice

Josh

I've posted this before and I'm not good at posting pictures but the broomstick handle Megabit was talking about is the only tool I use on both rawhide and roo. Just different widths per tool. Maybe Megabit could post a picture of the one I gave him to try. Theres a picture of it in Woolerys Book Braiding Rawhide Horse Tack. I have cut Thousands of feet of string with these tools and I won't change now. It takes me about 15 minutes to make one and then you just need injector blades to cut with. Width is determined by the distance from the blade to the nail as a guide. I even pull the nail out and move it one way or the other to change the width of cut. From a 30 inch round i've gotten over 200 feet of string just under 1/4". I'll try to post a picture but that might take a while. I did post pictures last year so maybe you could track those down on here. I'ts probably so simple that it does'nt make sense but it works for me. I've got some Bosals posted on here not to long ago and every thing was cut out first with these tools before the finish cuts. Probably bored you fellas to death but as my Gkids say, Whatever. Merry Christmas, Brad

Just wanted to share a little update round 2 with cutting my string and it was a success soaked rest of my round and waited a few removed from water...y'all get the picture well, guess I got it "just right" cause she cut like buttah then I stripped er down with a wood small wood plane and it was phenomenal a monumental moment for me thought I'd share thanks for all the advice again.

Josh