LeatherWerks

Removing Marks From Leather?

I'm fairly new to leather working and have learned a lot from this forum. I recently started making holsters. I made a template for a holster but found out before I sewed it up that it was going to be too tight. On the leather I used a small pointed tool to mark where my stitch line was going to be. I moved my line out before I sewed the holster and now the gun fits fine. My problem is now, I have some small marks where I marked the first stitch line. Is there any way I can either make these marks go away or at least reduce their appearance?

Steve

Edited by LeatherWerks

You would need to dampen the leather a little and use a modeling tool with a fairly large end. That would get most of the line.

ferg

I'm fairly new to leather working and have learned a lot from this forum. I recently started making holsters. I made a template for a holster but found out before I sewed it up that it was going to be too tight. On the leather I used a small pointed tool to mark my stitch line. I moved my stitch line out and now the gun fits fine. My problem is now, I have some small marks where the first stitch line was. Is there any way I can either make these marks go away or at least reduce their appearance?

Steve

Hi Steve

A picture of the holster would be helpful.

I did something similar, and ended up adding a camouflage stamp to it and the problem was fixed.

Maybe you could bevel over the area.

You could try to repeat the problem on a scrap piece of leather

and try out different possible solutions before you do anything to your holster...

Hope this helps

I found that a modeling spoon will take the mark out but it leaves a matted finish on the leather and in order to hide that I had to spoon the entire work piece.