As you might be able to tell this stock contractor keeps me pretty busy. These are the chaps I built for his pick up men. If anyone has ever built these they will appreciate how much work goes into them!!HPIM0077.JPG

post-3534-1214451641_thumb.jpg

Wow nice work, what is prosess with chaps and what kind leather do you use for them

josh

The process is long and drawn out. Pick up chaps are not only padded but fully lined as well. It's basically two pairs of chaps with some high density foam sandwiched in between.

I just used 4 oz chap with a 3oz lining. The white overlays and brands are 3 oz as well. The tops and scrolls are 8 oz firm white chrome tanned.

Edited by Elton Joorisity

As you might be able to tell this stock contractor keeps me pretty busy. These are the chaps I built for his pick up men. If anyone has ever built these they will appreciate how much work goes into them!!HPIM0077.JPG

Elton, I can agree with you on what goes into the making of pick up chaps. I made the chaps for the San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo a couple of years ago. I made two and it was more like making 5 after I was through, plus they are REALLY heavy. On top of all that it was a rush deal. I had one week to get the material and get them made.

Your chaps look great. I hope you got what they are really worth.

Paul

I didn't have much time to get these done either. Stock contractors are notorious for rush orders. Matter of fact I had one call me about a month ago to order 6 bronc flanks and he wanted them done for that following weekend!!!!!!!!!!!

Luckily with the pick up chaps I was able to find 2 red upholstery hides at my local Tandy/Leather Factory. They also had the white and the leather I lined them with in stock too.

nice!! I want to do a pair of chaps now.

What machine do you have for sewing?

My flat bed is a Nakajima 280L. It will sew around 1/2" and barely snort. I think the fact that it has a verticle bobbin helps in how well it pulls a stitch.

cool! I am just now learning about sewing machines and stuff... that's going to be my next big investment.

Great looking chaps Elton. Sure would be nice to get a few orders like that each week.

Ken

Elton, those look great! But I have a question, since I'm not in the livestock biz... What's a pick-up man? And why do their chaps require so much extra padding?

Kate

Kate, Pick up men are the guys who help get the cowboys off of and away from bucking horses at a rodeo. The pick up men also remove the flank strap and ensure that the livestock is removed from the rodeo arena safely.

They are padded because when you are riding in this close to a bucking horse, you are bound to get kicked and even bit from time to time. Shin guards are also worn underneath for extra protection.

Those are some sharp chaps, great work. I'll have to admit, even though I'm a rodeo fan, I had no idea that the pick up man's chaps are padded like that.

Ah, right, your best buddies at the end of a ride. That makes sense. Do the clowns wear any special gear? Other than funny noses, baggy pants, and suspenders, that is! :0)

Thanks for the explanation, and I hope the work keeps coming!

Kate

Kate, Pick up men are the guys who help get the cowboys off of and away from bucking horses at a rodeo. The pick up men also remove the flank strap and ensure that the livestock is removed from the rodeo arena safely.

They are padded because when you are riding in this close to a bucking horse, you are bound to get kicked and even bit from time to time. Shin guards are also worn underneath for extra protection.

Oh no here we go... I won't give you a tongue lashing Kate allthough some would. Call them "clowns" if you wish, just not to one's face.

They prefer "bullfighters" or "cowboy protection".

The Barrel Man is usually a clown both in nature and appearance. I mean you've got to be GOOFY to get in those barrels!! The inside of the barrel is padded and has rope handles and a "floor" to anchor yourself. I can speak from experience when I say that that little bit of padding and those handles don't mean much when a bull hits your barrel when you are half asleep and you bite through your tongue!!!!!!!!! Not much else is worn by the Barrel Man aka Clown other than baggies and makeup.

Bullfighters outer apparel depends on the guy wearing it. Underneath though you will find a chest protector and some sort of protective shorts. I fought bulls off and on and I used short hockey pants. (Yes I know that those of you who have met me wonder how a big outta shape guy could get around bulls but I assure you that I USED to be in shape) Some guys wore Lacrosse shorts. Other than that, the odd knee brace or ankle brace is not uncommon.

I think I've blabbed on enough. If you want another discussion, I also raise bucking bulls.

Edited by Elton Joorisity

Sorry! I claim ignorance! LOL I have one memory of attending a rodeo as a child, and the... bullfighters were ones who captured my attention the most, because of their slapstick moves and clever diversions. I also recognized that they were courting danger with every round. I hope no slight was taken, because I saw them as very talented, athletic, and entertaining at the same time. I will remember that distinction in the future - again, thanks for the explanation. :spoton:

Kate

Oh no here we go... I won't give you a tongue lashing Kate allthough some would. Call them "clowns" if you wish, just not to one's face.

They prefer "bullfighters" or "cowboy protection".

I guess my earlier question was missed regarding the padding. I'm curious about how thick the high density foam padding is you used in the chaps.

Gremlin, sorry bout that. I use 3/8 or 1/2 inch foam depending on my supplier's stock at the time.

elton looks like a bunch of left legged pick up men to me eh.nice pete

Do you have a pattern for them and where do you get the foam for them