Spinner

Leather Burnishers On Ebay

I am so outraged by this that I am making a post. Should the Admins feel the need to delete it, so be it but I need to get this off my chest.

Silvia brought to my attention today some burnishers that are being sold on ebay that look almost exactly like mine. I say almost as it appears from their pictures that the party in question couldn't quite get the tips turned correctly.

Any of my clients that own a "Holster Maker's Special" will recognize the difference and inferior work from the pictures.

Now, normally I don't mind competition and in fact will often invite someone to give my other hobby, woodturning a spin.

I have even given folks that can turn tips on making themselves a burnisher. NEVER have I said, "hey, purchase one of my burnishers that I spent a good deal of time and research developing and then turn identical ones to sell on ebay as your own design..." Not once.

It happened though. On August 4th, 2011 Mr. Richard Loy of Herriman, Utah spoke to me on the phone and purchased one of my HMS Burnishers, a few weeks later he purchased a dremel burnisher as well. I recall speaking to him with tips on burnishing, etc and have receipts showing the purchases.

On December 24, 2011 Mr. Loy, aka highcountryoutfitter on ebay began selling replicas of my specific burnishers. He made no attempt to alter the design or to contact me regarding selling them or to give me credit for the design.

In other words, he is a THIEF and a LIAR and I feel that folks should know what kind of person they could potentially be dealing with.

Here is a link to one of the ebay listings in question: [url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leather-burnisher-leather-tool-cocobolo-11-/290656674647?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43ac7ce357]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leather-burnisher-leather-tool-cocobolo-11-/290656674647?

Thank you Sylvia for bringing this to my attention.

Chris

Chris

I am glad you posted this as I was about to buy one since you were not taking Orders. Put me down for a custom holster model when you are back in production. Just send me a PM and payment info.

Thanks, Ron.

Edited by rondon112

I am so outraged by this that I am making a post. Should the Admins feel the need to delete it, so be it but I need to get this off my chest.

Silvia brought to my attention today some burnishers that are being sold on ebay that look almost exactly like mine. I say almost as it appears from their pictures that the party in question couldn't quite get the tips turned correctly.

Any of my clients that own a "Holster Maker's Special" will recognize the difference and inferior work from the pictures.

Chris

I actually looked at his before I looked at yours and saw the difference in quality just from the photos. That and the fact that you have a website. I do not like to buy on eBay if I can help it.

TO ALL: I just received a set of Chris's burnishers today, and I can personally attest to his quality, integrety and over the top customer service.

He's A+ in my book.

Thanks for a great product Chris.

Tom

Legacy Leathercraft

Hi Chris,

I feel your pain. On a whole, I've found "True" Leather people to be very honest & trustworthy, with high morals. This just proves that this person is not a true leather person! I just won't do anything like that. I've had several people ask me about making the same type of burnishers that you make,,, I always turn them down, & refer them to you. Before I started making my "BBS" (Bob Beard Special) mauls, I asked Bob Beard if he would give me permission to put that design out there. Luckily, he gave me his permission, & send me customers quite often.

By making inferior copies of your work, just shows that this is not an honorable person. Luckily most of us true leather people are honorable enough to know that doing something like that is just Wrong!!

Good Luck,,, Ed the"BearMan"

Apparently, he has now taken on Gary's burnishers as well. I wonder if he purchased a set from Gary before as well.

Sam,

Show em what YOU got on ebay.

PZ

I got my second burnisher from Chris a few days ago. Absolutely love them!!!

Thanks again!

Are they in production again? The web site stills says orders are on hold and I've been wanting to order one.

Are they in production again? The web site stills says orders are on hold and I've been wanting to order one.

I just sent him a PM through leatherworker.net after reading this post and he set me up. I'd recommend doing the same.

Spinner, aside from the moral stuff which we all understand, It seems to me that the guy may have unwittingly created a demand for a good product and a marketing opportunity for you. From what you say, his products aren't as good as yours so t'would seem likely that having purchased a poor quality item from him folks will be wanting the 'original' item. Just work out where he is selling and pitch your products there too. Word of mouth is a far better advertising medium than any other, but a well placed advert can't do any harm.

It is worth remembering that most people won't think to buy a burnishing tool like yours until they see an advert - then they want the best they can get.

Good luck fella,

Ray

Hi Chris,

I feel your pain. On a whole, I've found "True" Leather people to be very honest & trustworthy, with high morals. This just proves that this person is not a true leather person! I just won't do anything like that. I've had several people ask me about making the same type of burnishers that you make,,, I always turn them down, & refer them to you. Before I started making my "BBS" (Bob Beard Special) mauls, I asked Bob Beard if he would give me permission to put that design out there. Luckily, he gave me his permission, & send me customers quite often.

By making inferior copies of your work, just shows that this is not an honorable person. Luckily most of us true leather people are honorable enough to know that doing something like that is just Wrong!!

Good Luck,,, Ed the"BearMan"

Hey Ed,

Thanks, I do have to say though, after seeing yours & Beary's handles you'd be a likely candidate for being able to turn them correctly. In fact, if I do throw in the towel (once my leather business gets too busy) I'll drop you a line so we can talk shop and continue providing quality burnishers to the community. ;)

Thanks Ray.

To Bob and everyone else that is waiting to order, I am still making the burnishers but as timing would have it, this is my busy season for leatherwork - motorcycle gear - the riding season is only a few weeks/months away for most folks so everyone is placing orders now to get their new leathers for the first ride/show/event which makes turning a bit difficult but not impossible. I'll put this out to my LW.net friends, if you need a burnisher(s) drop me an email or PM and we'll work it out so you don't have to wait for order taking to officially resume. ;)

Cheers,

Chris

Downer bro! I always worry about someone claiming I used a design they had that I have never even laid eyes on. I understand this is not the case here and the guy just straight up stole the design. I made a few tools for the karting industry years back and saw copies all over the pits within 3 weeks selling for next to nothing so I've been there.

So does this mean your finally taking orders again? I had emailed a question about you making a burnisher like what you have for the drill but for the dremel instead. I need one of those points on the end so I can burnish the inside of the belt loop holes for my "future" pistols. I'll send another email as well. whistle.gifsmile.gif

Hi Chris!

I happened to stumble upon this thread because im in the search of a good burnisher for my dremel.

I I really would like to order from you if it`s possible, when the time is right.

Also want to say that people who steal other peoples ideas and hardwork or break a trust like that really pisses me of and its actually quiet simple for me.

Credit where credit is due, simple as that.

Keep it up.

Edited by Toshi

Chris, I'm so sorry! I unwittingly bought one of the BADGUY's burnishers a few months ago when I was getting started. I didn't know! However, as integrity is hugely important to me, I will PM you and order one of yours and send the other one BACK to the fraud as soon as I get the new one, along with a letter indicating that as a leatherworker, I will not only patronize people within the community, I will do everything I can, to ensure that everyone else does as well. Man I feel awful.

Hi Toshi & immiketoo, This is an old post from the first of 2012. Lots of things have changed since this post started. About 4-5 months ago, Beary my son took over making the burnishers, both dremel style & drill press burnishers from Chris (Spinner). Chris put alot of trust in Beary & I to take on the burnishers,,, & we really thank him! Beary has been staying very busy making the burnishers,,, & I help him out when I can. The web site is still up & running: www.leatherburnishers.com Beary's email address is : leatherburnishers@yahoo.com Please take a look,,, & if we can help in any way,,, just let us know... Thanks, Ed

Thanks Ed, I will be placing an order soon. Thanks for the info on the changes and for the heads up on where to get them. I might have to get a maul while I'm at it!

I have sent this POS an email noting my discuss with him and his ethics....Dave

He's replied to my email Claiming YOU have copied Weavers design, so it's all Good!

My feelings are: He's trying to Pass-the-Buck with that Comment...Dave