This is my 1st wet formed project and I'm happy with the results.

Kevin.

post-19342-034040200 1327115217_thumb.jp

Nice job! I like the color, The flap, stitches all look very nice.

Great job on the wet forming, there is no signs of wrinkles or scratches on the formed top piece.

What are you using it for?

Thanks Rick.

I don't have any use for it, just wanted to try and make it.

In the past I would measure the leather, make the pouch then put the object in the damp leather and form it that way.

I like the idea of putting the leather in a mold, clamping it a vise then pop it out ready to go.

I might try and make one with a round bottom just to test the mold.

The molds can be reused again and again.

Kevin.

Nice job! I like the color, The flap, stitches all look very nice.

Great job on the wet forming, there is no signs of wrinkles or scratches on the formed top piece.

What are you using it for?

great job. :)

i'm curious to know if the pouch could be stamped with say, a basketweave design, while its sitting on the mold?

Very nice Tree!

It could be stamped outside of the mold for best results.

Now if you wanted to place something like nylon window screen or hardware cloth or make something out of metal and secure it inside on the bottom then it would make an impression but for something like basket weave I would stamp it after.

Anything metal should be coated unless you want the black affect in the impression.

If I was attempting that I would do a piece of scrap first to see what the results were.

great job. :)

i'm curious to know if the pouch could be stamped with say, a basketweave design, while its sitting on the mold?

Kevin.

Really nice job Kevin. I've seen a lot about 'wet molding' on here but mostly with holsters, and bags. So did you buy this mold instead, or make it? And stamping it after it's molded wouldn't change the shape? I'm pretty lost on this subject, maybe you could show a mold. And I'll see if I can find a tutorial on it. Cheryl

Cheryl, check this out http://leatherworker...howtopic=37136.

I was trying to eliminate all the work of trying to form a piece of leather around a block.

You could easily form one or two of these a day once the mold is made and then you have it.

I probably have about one hour into making the mold from scrap wood I had laying around.

Just put the leather in the block and go watch the hockey game.

And stamping it after it's molded wouldn't change the shape?

You would use something smaller that would go in the shape of the pocket without flatting it out on a large slab.

Kevin

Edited by Tree Reaper

Cheryl, check this out http://leatherworker...howtopic=37136.

I was trying to eliminate all the work of trying to form a piece of leather around a block.

You could easily form one or two of these a day once the mold is made and then you have it.

I probably have about one hour into making the mold from scrap wood I had laying around.

Just put the leather in the block and go watch the hockey game.

You would use something smaller that would go in the shape of the pocket without flatting it out on a large slab.

Kevin

I found the other wet formed bag tutorial after I posted to you. And I forgot to hit 'watch topic' so I didn't get your message. I just went to the link you gave me, and if I have this right, you cut out a wood form. Then you cut out around the wood form in foam. And now you put your wet leather in the foam, and put the wood form on it so you don't have to do all the nailing, and creasing, etc. It drys, and you have a wet formed bag top. Wow too cool.

Hey Cheryl;

No foam, just a hole in a block of wood, drop the wet leather in the hole, drop another small block over the leather and in the same hole, place another piece of wood over that and place it between the jaws of a vice and tighten it up.

so you don't have to do all the nailing, and creasing, etc.

Right on!

I found the other wet formed bag tutorial after I posted to you. And I forgot to hit 'watch topic' so I didn't get your message. I just went to the link you gave me, and if I have this right, you cut out a wood form. Then you cut out around the wood form in foam. And now you put your wet leather in the foam, and put the wood form on it so you don't have to do all the nailing, and creasing, etc. It drys, and you have a wet formed bag top. Wow too cool.

Hey Cheryl;

No foam, just a hole in a block of wood, drop the wet leather in the hole, drop another small block over the leather and in the same hole, place another piece of wood over that and place it between the jaws of a vice and tighten it up.

Right on!

Ok, now you're using all those guy words and I'm totally confused. You have a hole, LOL. You put the wet leather in the wood hole, then you drop wood on it. . So at that point do you put the vice grips, oh no wait, then ANOTHER small piece of wood on top of that. Then you put the vice grips on the the OUTSIDE of the first piece of wood that has a hole so as not to mar the leather, and the top of the second piece of wood to press everything in place until it dries? I get all of it except why the second piece of wood? Do you have the ends of the wet leather between the first and second piece of wood, using the vice grips and second piece of wood to push it down evenly. If not, LOL, just give up on trying to explain to me Kevin, because my head's gonna explode. But thanks, Cheryl

Great job, Kevin! And nice color.

On the photo flap appears like made from wood , I really like that. :specool:

How did you get such texture?

Just use a piece of rough sawn lumber, lumber that hasn't been planed, dampen the leather like you normally would for casing then clamp the leather and the wood together in a vise but be sure to use wax paper or something else on the back of the leather that is touching the steel jaw on the vise or it will turn the leather black where the metal makes contact with the wet leather.

I use a wood working vise with large flat jaws, for smaller jaws you would need to use something else on one jaw to create a larger surface area.

Great job, Kevin! And nice color.

On the photo flap appears like made from wood , I really like that. :specool:

How did you get such texture?

Edited by Tree Reaper

Ok, now you're using all those guy words and I'm totally confused. You have a hole, LOL. You put the wet leather in the wood hole, then you drop wood on it. . So at that point do you put the vice grips, oh no wait, then ANOTHER small piece of wood on top of that. Then you put the vice grips on the the OUTSIDE of the first piece of wood that has a hole so as not to mar the leather, and the top of the second piece of wood to press everything in place until it dries? I get all of it except why the second piece of wood? Do you have the ends of the wet leather between the first and second piece of wood, using the vice grips and second piece of wood to push it down evenly. If not, LOL, just give up on trying to explain to me Kevin, because my head's gonna explode. But thanks, Cheryl

Cheryl,

Keep your head safe :) and try to google for "molding" or "making a mold".

Molding leather has nothing different from the other materials molding processes (different sorts of plastic, metal (mostly ref as "stamping" there), fiberglass+epoxy fabrication (and other composite materials) in boat and military industry etc etc).

Just use a piece of rough sawn lumber, lumber that hasn't been planed. dampen the leather like you normally would for casing then clamp the leather and the wood together in a vise but be sure to use wax paper or something else on the back of the leather that is touching the steel jaw on the vise or it will turn the leather black where the metal makes contact with the wet leather.

Thanks! I definitely have to give it a try.

Cheryl,

Keep your head safe :) and try to google for "molding" or "making a mold".

Molding leather has nothing different from the other materials molding processes (different sorts of plastic, metal (mostly ref as "stamping" there), fiberglass+epoxy fabrication (and other composite materials) in boat and military industry etc etc).

Thanks! I definitely have to give it a try.

Thanks Suicide, I put my head in vice grips, thus avoiding the explosion. Going to totally reread this again, plus look at the other thread again Kevin did on this until i get it. Cheryl

This is what metal does to wet leather, turns it black.

This was a piece of metal hanger on a scrap piece of leather.

It can be used to enhance a project or destroy it.

post-19342-043820600 1327244728_thumb.jp

Edited by Tree Reaper

This is what metal does to wet leather, turns it black.

This was a piece of metal hanger on a scrap piece of leather.

It can be used to enhance a project or destroy it.

Now that's interesting. I'm looking all around my room for something metal I like. Actually I have a really old, uh, something, looks like a bud vase but I don't think that was the purpose when it was made, in brass from India. Do you think it would turn it dark, or just absorb the outside impressions?

Also I have a silver plate tray, Paul Revere repro by Rogers, that has a wonderful etched design in it. I've been looking at the wet formed trays people make and this would really be pretty, only unfortunately the design would be on the bottom. Oh well DUH, If I wet formed around the brass the design would be inside. Actually I could case the leather, make the designs, then on the tray wet form in around the bottom which would be easier anyway. Oh man, too many things to try, too little time.

It should work, give it a go on some scrap.

Put it on the leather and apply pressure for several minutes or longer.

Edited by Tree Reaper