Sign in to follow this  
MHolzer

What Can You Do With A Veggie Tan Split?

I want to order some 5-6 tooling leather from W & C but financially I can only swing it right now if I can figure out something to make with the split. I have been told by some people that while the split will retain molding properties, it becomes weak. So, what can actually be done with a split?

Thanks!

I have used some of my splits for padding in Book Covers and Portifolios.

I've seen chaps made with heavy splits, and thinner splits get used for linings, especially for rifle slings and luggage straps where you don't want the strap to slip off the shoulder.

Line belts, or make "pads" for straps on rifle slings, shoulder bags, or stiffeners for larger items (flat bottom handbags or portfolios which are being lined anyway).

MHolzer,

Call W&C and talk to Matt Bressler. He told me they often have double shoulders available, usually in russet or natural, but may have drum dyed as well. I don't know if they have shoulders in carving leather or just skirting, but it makes no difference. You can mould, tool, and stamp skirting the same as carving. You'd be buying less square footage that way (probably around 13-15 sq. ft. for a double shoulder) so you won't get quite as many projects out of it, but it will cost less. I'm not sure if they will split shoulders or not, but I bet they will. Phone (814) 236-2220 and Matt's extension is 216.

Colt Hammerless

i made this with veg tan split double thickness on top.

SA400012-2.jpg

bobseet006.jpg

bobseaat.jpg