I was bored a while back so I decided to try my hand at making a new collar for my lab. Bailey wanted to show it off, so she sat and modelled it while I snapped a couple pics. It's sort of a mash-up of a few different ideas I had. I wanted to make something "beefy", so I used a big 1 3/4" wide buckle. I used veg-tanned leather lined with elk hide. If I made another I'd do it differently, but the one thing I really like is having the loop on top to hook a leash onto.

Here are a few pics for anyone that might be interested.

P1020813.jpg

P1020818.jpg

P1020806.jpg

P1020807.jpg

P1020805.jpg

I was bored a while back so I decided to try my hand at making a new collar for my lab. Bailey wanted to show it off, so she sat and modelled it while I snapped a couple pics. It's sort of a mash-up of a few different ideas I had. I wanted to make something "beefy", so I used a big 1 3/4" wide buckle. I used veg-tanned leather lined with elk hide. If I made another I'd do it differently, but the one thing I really like is having the loop on top to hook a leash onto.

Here are a few pics for anyone that might be interested.

P1020813.jpg

P1020818.jpg

P1020806.jpg

P1020807.jpg

P1020805.jpg

What a pretty Lab AND collar.

Now that's a dog collar! The loop on top is a good idea.

Beautiful collar, the lining looks very soft to the touch. How did you affix the different layers together, there doesn't appear to be a seam anywhere? I did something very similar with my d-ring but it didn't look as clean as yours turned out.

Very nice, got me thinking also. Looks lined but then again it doesn't? Care to share?

Very nice. I was planning on using a top mounted D ring when I do one for my dog too. That will make it much easier on ALL of us. I'm also curious about the lining too....

Thanks guys and gals. To answer your questions, the elk hide liner was cut to twice the width of the collar, and folder over and glued to itself, with the seam in the middle (used Tandy's leather weld). The veg tanned leather was then glued on top of this. I had to pre-bend the collar before glueing it all up, due to the thickness of all the layers. Otherwise the outside would have to stretch and the inside compress, and it would have been all lumpy.

My plan originally was to run a stitch along the length on each side, but after glueing and with the help of the chicago screws, it seems to be holding together well enough. If it starts to separate I may have to stitch it, but I'd rather not, because I don't have a machine, and hand-stitching is not my favorite thing to do :)

Also, just an FYI - if I had to do it again, I would cut the liner off where the adjustment holes start. There's really no reason to extend it past there, and it makes it a bit of a pain to buckle/unbuckle with the material being that thick.

Edited by Cameroo

It may be a bit more rigid for buckleing and such but I think you did awesome by making it look seamless with the liner material! Its very nice that way. I may have to steal that idea!

That is Tops! Awesome collar! The elk is a great idea, much more comfy for the dog! F'N Great Job! I like you knots...very very very nice....did I tell you it was nice....VERY NICE! :)

Edited by chancey77

Lovely looking collar! The only thing that worries me, for the dog's comfort, is the size of the buckle.

Can I suggest that it may have been better to make it "ranger belt" style using a smaller buckle?

Lois

Thanks Blazin, Chancey, and Lois.

Lois - I've seen collars that style, but that is not the look I was going for. But fear not, this is not her "everyday" collar. She'll only be wearing it once in a while when out for walks or going to the dog park, etc. She doesn't show any signs of discomfort while it is on though. The elk hide liner is wider than the buckle and seems to keep her hairs from getting pinched, and the collar is loose enough not to restrict her movement at all. Bailey thanks you for your concern though :)

Thanks guys and gals. To answer your questions, the elk hide liner was cut to twice the width of the collar, and folder over and glued to itself, with the seam in the middle (used Tandy's leather weld). The veg tanned leather was then glued on top of this. I had to pre-bend the collar before glueing it all up, due to the thickness of all the layers. Otherwise the outside would have to stretch and the inside compress, and it would have been all lumpy.

My plan originally was to run a stitch along the length on each side, but after glueing and with the help of the chicago screws, it seems to be holding together well enough. If it starts to separate I may have to stitch it, but I'd rather not, because I don't have a machine, and hand-stitching is not my favorite thing to do :)

Also, just an FYI - if I had to do it again, I would cut the liner off where the adjustment holes start. There's really no reason to extend it past there, and it makes it a bit of a pain to buckle/unbuckle with the material being that thick.

Thanks for sharing how you achieved that seemless look.

Awesome collar, but be carefull taking it to the dog park!

I did a tooled collar for my dog, and... well... you can't hardly tell there is any tooling there anymore. But, she does like to wrestle with other dogs, so if yours is more of a fetcher, it might be ok...