Sign in to follow this  
rccolt45

Learning To Sew With A Machine

Hi guys,

I just got my first sewing machine. I am looking for anything to help me use it - books, articles videos etc.

PLease let me know what you suggest.

I seldom tell folks to go to You Tube but there are hundreds of tutorials there. Some are even pretty good but most are showing how to do a particular type of sewing. Will give you some ideas.

ferg

Hi guys,

I just got my first sewing machine. I am looking for anything to help me use it - books, articles videos etc.

Hi guys,

What kind of machine are you using?

Ron

I just started sewing with a machine and the most difficult thing I found was making a corner or a turn, trying to judge the distance from the edge of the leather, I'm getting better but it isn't perfect.

Straight lines are a walk in the park.

I assume you did not buy from Steve. Even so, call them, phone number on banner above.

They will get you straightened out.

ferg

Hi Ron - its a Cobra Class 4.

I did buy from Steve and they were great. Machine works awsome now I am just trying to learn how to use it.

I did buy from Steve and they were great. Machine works awsome now I am just trying to learn how to use it.

I'm in the same boat... bought a Class 4 from Steve and he has been super helpful. Unfortunately, I'm more of a "visual" learner with ZERO experience on a sewing machine. I really with there was a good video out there to help ease the learning curve.

I'm still sewing everything by hand :head_hurts_kr:

I draw a line on the leather to establish the stitch line around the gun, but not on the edges. You can use the presser feet as a distance gauge from the edge. Once you get the feel for the distance from the needle to different parts of the presser foot, you just keep that point at the same distance from the edge and sew. There is a learning curve going around edges and keeping the stitch length consistent. Once you get the feel for it, it's pretty easy.

Just get some scrap leather and practice, a lot. Draw the outline of a gun on the leather and practice sewing right on the pencil mark. Draw some smooth curves and follow them as well, trying to not only keep the needle on the line but also keep the stitch length consistent. Stitch right down the edge of a piece experimenting with keeping an edge on the presser foot the same distance from the edge all the way. And most of all, go slow. Turn the max speed on your servo way down so that it doesn't get away from you.

I'm in the same boat... bought a Class 4 from Steve and he has been super helpful. Unfortunately, I'm more of a "visual" learner with ZERO experience on a sewing machine. I really with there was a good video out there to help ease the learning curve.

call steve,

he has a free video that he sent me that really helped me on the cobra 4 i got last week. just watch it closely and then watch it again

Sixer,

Stop!! Get your machine and some scrap leather, clear your mind, the machine is your friend! :head_hurts_kr:

Some very basic steps here, glue a couple pieces of leather together like it was a holster. Sand your edges smooth so you can mark a stitch line.

#1 I make my stitch line the thickness of the holster or belt. It is easy to remember and only once in a while do I deviate. It just works for me and looks ok.

#2 Put the leather under the presser foot, line up the needle with your stitch line.

#3 Pull 6 or 7 inches of thread out of the upper and lower and hold it taunt BEHIND the holster for the first few stitches. (this keeps everything from balling up)

#4 SLOW, set your machine to very slow speed prior to doing any of this.

#5 Ease your turns while sewing. A little at a time, preferably while the needle is in the leather make the turn, this takes time and a little rhythm that will come to you.

#6 When finishing, before pulling the project out from the machine, make sure the needle has gone ALL THE WAY UP AND HAS JUST STARTED DOWN ABOUT 1/4 INCH. This allows the bottom thread to release from the shuttle hook and pull out of the bobbin smoothly. Also make sure the foot is in the UP position this releases thread tension so you can pull some thread out to remove the project from the machine.

I have found that many people that have just bought a machine do not know #6 information. I have shown a few people this and it helped clear some confusion up. After that it is just practice. Put your hand sewing stuff away and spend a couple hours with your machine, it will enhance your leather working skills!!

Ferg had a good idea about you tube, I have not looked but I bet there is some great info and basic starter sewing videos on there!

Hope this helps,

Rick

I have found that many people that have just bought a machine do not know #6 information

I've been running the needle to the top but I'll experiment with this, thanks Rick.

What do you do when the bobbin runs out of thread, I suspect you try and stitch over, of course not running out and making sure the bobbin is full prior to starting is better.

I've been running the needle to the top but I'll experiment with this, thanks Rick.

What do you do when the bobbin runs out of thread, I suspect you try and stitch over, of course not running out and making sure the bobbin is full prior to starting is better.

I just pull the excess to the underside of the project and start new a couple stitches back. This is what I consider "commercially acceptable" If it is truly a "custom" item, with a custom price, I will use a new bobbin.

There is another method and that is to separate the layers, pull the thread to the inside, tie it off then start the stitch in the same hole, finish the project and go back and pull the starting thread in that hole and reglue the layers together. It is a P.I.T.A. but it can salvage a "custom" piece.

Rick

Thanks Rick, I just read a little something on back stitching I wasn't aware of.

I think it puts all the thread on the bottom of the project so you don't see any ends on the finished side.