amuckart

Parts Compatibility Between 29K Variants

I have a Singer 29k58 that I am finally getting going.

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me whether parts made for a 29k72 head will fit a slightly earlier model? I need a handful of parts for inside the 'head', new foot lift parts etc. I'd also like to replace a couple of the internal driving gears because there's a bit of slop in this one. Not enough to cause real problems but I may as well do them while I've got it apart.

Another thing I'm wondering is whether it would be possible to replace the entire rack assembly of a small bobbin model like the '58 with the rack assembly of a large bobbin model like the 72, thereby converting it to a large-bobbin model? (Assuming I can ever get the censored2.gif taper pin out to get the rack assembly off!)

Thanks.

I have a Singer 29k58 that I am finally getting going.

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me whether parts made for a 29k72 head will fit a slightly earlier model? I need a handful of parts for inside the 'head', new foot lift parts etc. I'd also like to replace a couple of the internal driving gears because there's a bit of slop in this one. Not enough to cause real problems but I may as well do them while I've got it apart.

Another thing I'm wondering is whether it would be possible to replace the entire rack assembly of a small bobbin model like the '58 with the rack assembly of a large bobbin model like the 72, thereby converting it to a large-bobbin model? (Assuming I can ever get the censored2.gif taper pin out to get the rack assembly off!)

Thanks.

Al,

Roughly speaking the parts for small bobbin short arm patchers tend to be interchangeable after the 29K51. Not a hard and fast rule but a tendency.

You cannot convert a short arm patcher into a long arm nor a small bobbin 29k to a large bobbin 29K.

I recommend you get a manual for your model. The manual has a complete break-apart image of the model and all parts with numbers. Very important thing to have. Manuals and parts may be obtained from Pilgrim Sewing Machine : http://www.pilgrimshoemachine.com/shoe_repair_machines.html

They don't charge for advice, either. Talk to them, they'll set you up.

Kel

Thanks Kel,

I've got a good manual for my machine (thanks Smithsonian!) but it doesn't have the exploded parts diagram. I've never seen an exploded parts diagram specific to the '58, nor a list of parts that differ from the '58 to the '71, which as far as I can tell is functionally the latest model Singer made.

I've found a good one for the 29k71,72,73 though and by the looks of things you *could* change a small bobbin to a large bobbin machine by changing out the needle bar, rocker arm, piston joint, entire rack assembly and all sub-parts, the main drive shaft and the main cam track wheel at the back. Possible, but not easy, cheap or worthwhile!

That said, large bobbin patchers are like hen's teeth in this part of the world and even second-hand ones in sewing condition go for four figure sums, so it mightn't be so stupid after all if'n I ever get my hands on a second post '56 machine.

I'd still like to know for sure if '71 parts will fit a '58. I need to replace the rack and pinion in mine along with the Feed Motion Ring Slide Bar and and Foot Bar, and those parts aren't so cheap I'm willing to buy them on the off chance they'll fit.

Amuckart;

Send an email to Bob Kovar, at: information at tolindsewmach dot com. He has the parts lists as well as all replacement parts of most Singer and Adler patchers.

Email exchanges take longer, but are the best method to use when you are 14 time zones apart.

Hey bud

i got the same machine. and rebuilt it of the manual and diagrams of a 72.

as for parts type 29 k into ebay you'll find plenty of new and used.

I suggest Mr Kovar as well though for advice and parts you know will be the right ones

he ain't lede wrong yet from my landis i dug outta the ground to the post bed i got for Christmas

hope it helps just email if ya need any thong i can help with

I just got a 29K60. I cant find any examples of 60 specific manuals. Did they come with the 70 series manuals?

You can use the 29K72 manual + parts list for this machine. Both are large bobbin machines. But K60 and K72 have just some minor differences like different thread take up lever regulator, K72 has thumb nut + stud for thread regulator spring and has set screw on the needle plate hinge pin and if I remember correctly a slightly different foot lift adjuster (29K60 is pinned the 29K72 is not). Otherwise the same machine.

gunsmoke1776.

Constabulary is correct.  The 29k60 uses 98% the same parts as the newer 29K72.  Very few changes.

glenn