Just in time for St. Patricks Day!

I present "Lucky".

Many many layers of various skins on top of black pebble grain cowhide.

10 card pockets, three cash/long pockets, one zipper pocket. Custom one-off lucky charms lining.

Custom hand-carved silver shamrock snaps keeps it shut.

post-3955-063006100 1332004499_thumb.jpg

post-3955-059756100 1332004500_thumb.jpg

post-3955-063171300 1332004501_thumb.jpg

post-3955-061850900 1332004502_thumb.jpg

post-3955-057644400 1332004503_thumb.jpg

post-3955-018143700 1332004504_thumb.jpg

post-3955-016245700 1332004505_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kevin King

Very nice. Did you do the snaps or did you find them somewhere?

Very nice. Did you do the snaps or did you find them somewhere?

Thanks. I carved the snaps.

That's just pretty durn neat ! A Lucky Charms billfold.

Very cool! Applique awesome.

Right back atcha Kevin.....To the luck of the Irish

Very, very nice and I can't imagine the time it took to get that applique just right. Did you use PMC for the snaps? And I am going to be really bold and ask if there is a chance you could add the zipper pocket in the inards to your tutorial:begging:

Rosemary

Very, very nice and I can't imagine the time it took to get that applique just right. Did you use PMC for the snaps? And I am going to be really bold and ask if there is a chance you could add the zipper pocket in the inards to your tutorial:begging:

Rosemary

Thanks!

What is PMC? I'll add the zipper tut when I can find the chance.

PMC is "precious metal clay". It's metal mixed with an organic binder that burns away when the clay is fired in a kiln. It comes in several metals, including copper, silver, and bronze. The clay can be molded easily, and many faceted stones can be fired in place, so it has quite a following among some jewelers and crafters.

Er, edit. "Organic" meaning carbon-based. Not "organic" as in veggies grown without chemicals.

Edited by WinterBear

Very Nice!!

Oh ya. I've seen that stuff. Been meaning to give it a try. I carve my pieces in wax and send to a caster.

Yah. It has it's advantages, but the fact that the binder burns out, it's really hard to get a high polish on it because bits of carbon remain microscopically bound to the silver. I know someone who does tufa, investment, and cuttlebone for her casting (she's not really set up for lost-wax), and she refuses to use PMC because the carbon--a lot of her work is mirror polished, and the PMC looks greyed next to the other stuff because of that.

Yah. It has it's advantages, but the fact that the binder burns out, it's really hard to get a high polish on it because bits of carbon remain microscopically bound to the silver. I know someone who does tufa, investment, and cuttlebone for her casting (she's not really set up for lost-wax), and she refuses to use PMC because the carbon--a lot of her work is mirror polished, and the PMC looks greyed next to the other stuff because of that.

Actually, that has not been my experience but I tend to use Art Clay Silver. I think it is a little brighter in colour. Both are rated at .999 FS when fired, so there can't be too much of anything left after firing. It does take some work for a mirror finish but I have seen some fabulous pieces done with that finish. Personally, I like a more organic look so haven't done much of that type of work. But the ability to mold and sculpt gives it a lot of design possibilities.

Edited by rosiart

@rosiart

I'll take your word for it. I don't mess around with either type, so I wasn't aware of the differences. I'm not a jeweler, you see, and can't really get into it (even though I'd like to). I rent, and the landlords tend to get a little hyper about oxy-acetelene gas, kilns, torches.... :rofl:

1332040208[/url]' post='239972']

@rosiart

I'll take your word for it. I don't mess around with either type, so I wasn't aware of the differences. I'm not a jeweler, you see, and can't really get into it (even though I'd like to). I rent, and the landlords tend to get a little hyper about oxy-acetelene gas, kilns, torches.... :rofl:

My dh gets a little hyper about it too. LOL I think the kiln bothers him less than when I was torch firing . Unfortunately I am not doing much with it now that the price of silver has gone sky high. I may have to finally bite the bullet and learn to work with the base metal clays. Their firings are more finicky though so I have been dragging my feet .The bronze would probably make great accents for leather though. Hmmmmm.......

Here's a link to how the layers went down.

Lucky