Generally, when I do things like paint, even with oil paint, I don't use gloves. Usually, I find a heavy application of hand cream or soaping up my hands and letting it dry will make clean up easier.

I did a test strip on some edges using Feibing's Oil Dye and failed to protect my hands. I now have 2 brown fingertips.

Any advice on how to remove the dye without removing my skin? I tried hydrogen peroxide and it did nothing.

I already bought nitrile gloves at the drug store, to complete the project.

Go do some dishes. otherwise it should come of in about 24 hours.

that dye is going to be there for a minium on 4 days.....

Denatured alcohol (methylated spirit) is excellent for removing oil dye. White spirit works quite well, too.

GoJo hand cleaner will clean most anything off. Never tried it for dye though.

It's an amazing testament to skin what Lava soap and a nylon knuckle scrub brush will do.

On ethe other hand (pun intended) what doesn't come off will give you a chance to market your leather work.

By gloves and suck it up, we all get dye on our hands.................................. ;)

Edited by Bluesman

Took quite a few days for this to wear off. Had a hole in the glove that went unnoticed.

green.jpg

Took quite a few days for this to wear off. Had a hole in the glove that went unnoticed.

green.jpg

Go plant a garden....you really have a green thumb!

I know all the environmentalists and chemical freaks will winch, however; I use the same stuff I keep around the shop for a lot of uses, laquer thinner. I have been using it for so many years both at work and home I suffer from withdrawl if I don't get a wiff of it once and a while!!! I do; however; use surgical gloves when I am dying leather. You ca get a box cheap at the dollar store, and they are really handy.

Bob

<<snip>>Any advice on how to remove the dye without removing my skin?<<<snip>>.

There is an article from the RawHide Gazette:

ReDuRan Hand Cleaner

Something else we got from Tony Laier was a hand cleaner for removing dye from your hands. Paula tried it and it really works well, so we ordered some, which just arrived today. It is ReDuRan which is made in Germany by Stoko. The web site is www.stoko.com They have an outlet in England. Their web site is rather interesting with all the cleaning stuff that they have...

Norm Lynds

The whole issue is at: http://www.pslac.org/public/10_oct05.pdf

To locate a local distributor, just Google this text: "reduran hand cleaner"

Hope this helps.

Bob Stelmack

Put on a pair of rubber gloves and hand sew something for about an hour. The sweat mixed with the rubbing action from the gloves does a really good job of removing dye.

I soak a paper towel in a bit of acetone, not the healthiest thing to do but it works great.