Happy Hooligan

Attaching A Servo Motor

I bought a new servo motor to replace my clutch one for my 111w, and it seems the motor has three bolt holes, while my old GE motor had four. It won't fit on that singer plate the GE was on... Am I missing something? Do I need to drill holes through the table top? I hope not....

What have you guys used to fix this?

Drill new holes and put blind bolts in the old ones as a filler. All modern era motors have three mounting holes. Your Singer must be very old.

Drill new holes and put blind bolts in the old ones as a filler. All modern era motors have three mounting holes. Your Singer must be very old.

All of my machines are very old... The plate is actually held in with screws not bolts... The motor was bolted on the plate.

The table top has no holes in it except for the belt and where the machine goes through....

I hate to drill holes in my old wood table top....

All of my machines are very old... The plate is actually held in with screws not bolts... The motor was bolted on the plate.

The table top has no holes in it except for the belt and where the machine goes through....

There are brackets that will attach a motor to the back rail of the table. For instance:

http://www.southstarsupply.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=4894

There are other styles. If you have a good mechanic or industrial machine shop around, they may have other styles.

And a metal worker wouldn't have much trouble attaching a mounting plate to a bracke that fits your table.

Why not use big screws with bolt heads, if you don´t want to drill holes in the table ?

/ Knut

Edited by oldtimer

The best thing to do is take all the stuff off the top of your table,turn it upside down,take the new motor & line it up with the belt slot & mark it & drill from underneath,mount motor & flip table over & re-install the stuff you took off,hookup belt & have fun.

Bob

Well I ended up turning it upside down (thanks sewmun) and drilling holes. I also had to cut out the two belt holes as they were off now. Plus I had to cut back a bit into the back belt hole so it wouldn't rub. I replaced the old leather belt with a rubber one and it's so much better to sew with it now. No more crazy speeds with that clutch... I also ended up rewiring the light too... Over all pretty happy so far.

DSC01078.JPG

DSC01079.JPG

When all else fails, listen to Bob. He had the Singer stuff down. I have the 111w155 with the Serv-pro and love it ! Do as he says. Also the 31-15 with Serv-pro, and the Cowboy 411 w/Serv-pro.

Kevin

Sounds like someone had an OLD J & K cluch motor replaced...and yes, that's old.

Can a servo motor be attached to a Singer 29U171A machine?

Thanks

Yes,you can by adding a piece of plywood underneath the back of the table(where the head mounts & run the motor belt to one of the pulleys underneath ,disconnect  the treadle rod off the bearing & add a piece to it to connect to the motor.

Probably won't any sense to you until you get a motor in your hand & then you should be able to figure it out .

Thanks Bob, I haven't got the sewing machine, it's on it's way. Can you recommend a motor?

Thanks again, Tom

Well I finally got my 29u171a Singer patcher machine. Having trouble getting it to feed the leather, stich and generally act right. This is my time using a machine and I have the manual and have read it thru several times now. Cleaned and oiled the machine per the manual. I have it threaded correctly, per the manual anyway. It's set up with 69 thread and a 29X4 needle. Doesn't want to pick up the bottom thread from the bobbin and when it does it bunches up in the bobbin and then stops. Also doesn't always feed leather along with the foot. I'm sure it's probably my in-experience in getting all the tensions right, but I'm getting a tad frustrated. Any pointers, ideas, suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, corkscrew said:

Well I finally got my 29u171a Singer patcher machine. Having trouble getting it to feed the leather, stich and generally act right. This is my time using a machine and I have the manual and have read it thru several times now. Cleaned and oiled the machine per the manual. I have it threaded correctly, per the manual anyway. It's set up with 69 thread and a 29X4 needle. Doesn't want to pick up the bottom thread from the bobbin and when it does it bunches up in the bobbin and then stops. Also doesn't always feed leather along with the foot. I'm sure it's probably my in-experience in getting all the tensions right, but I'm getting a tad frustrated. Any pointers, ideas, suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

I recommend that you start a new topic for this, please.