Don't laugh too hard at the stitching, I need to adjust the pattern to make the smaller parts fit together better. I kind of threw it together. The next one will look more professional.

post-21513-046373600 1335446605_thumb.jp

I think it looks great! A very unique idea.

Bob

My personal opinion is that it's a "leaf" pouch. It's not supposed to be perfectly aligned. If it was perfectly symmetrical like it came out of a factory, then it would look off.

My personal opinion is that it's a "leaf" pouch. It's not supposed to be perfectly aligned. If it was perfectly symmetrical like it came out of a factory, then it would look off.

I was actually referring to the leather puckering from inconsistent stitch tension and inconsistent hole spacing. I also need to source a more appropriate button. The toggle is ok, but I would prefer something less "manufactured".

I think that you maybe being a little to hard on yourself. It looks great, I would use that for a Fairy/Elf or even a Ranger costume for Renaissance fair. What you are calling inconsistant I call part of the craft, as a few have said before if it was dead on it wouldnt look right. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by serena

That is so cool! I love your pattern, and the stitching looks great to me. :)

I like it, very unnique and a cool idea. Tell me about the leather you used and how you got the patterns in the leafs. Is that tool veg tan and then dyed?

Jon

Awesome looking!

I like it, very unnique and a cool idea. Tell me about the leather you used and how you got the patterns in the leafs. Is that tool veg tan and then dyed?

Jon

The leaves are 3-4 oz. veg tan. I used some scraps with lots of "blemishes" so the dyes would make them pop out more. I cut the veins in with a dull (ish) swivel knife while the leather was dry. (experimenting) This created a very thin, shallow cut. I used Fiebing's yellow and then yellow with a single drop of Fiebing's green dye (about an ounce in total). After buffing excess, I used a medium brown antique to bring out the detail and quickly buffed it away. It left light areas of brown and filled some of the veins of the leaves, but left others intact. I was going to do another coat and finish filling in the veins, but decided it may look better to leave it alone.

My daughter sneakily took it out to the renfaire last weekend, and now I have to make 2 more.

I may post a pattern once I get it all worked out. The pouch is 5" x 8" (approx.) and 3" deep at the bottom.

I was actually referring to the leather puckering from inconsistent stitch tension and inconsistent hole spacing. I also need to source a more appropriate button. The toggle is ok, but I would prefer something less "manufactured".

I'm not sure that takes away too much from the overall design. Right now it looks very organic, smoothing things out much more might take away some of the leafy feel. You might try making a button out of a small stick piece, it might work well with your design.

You_Rock_Emoticon.gif

nice looking

terrific idea ;)

This looks great! Very woodsy.. I see elves wearing them.

That finish and blending is beautiful!! Great work!

Argh! I forgot to take a picture of the second one before giving it to the buyer. I used black suede on this one instead of the brown. It makes the black stitches pop more and looks great. I'll see if I can get a picture of it this weekend.