PutnamLeather

Second Knife Sheath With Skirt

This cowboy action style knife sheath with skirt is designed for a bowie style knife with a blade measurement of 8x2". The sheath itself measures a total of 13x4" all edges are adorned with 20 yards of black lace in mexican round braid, fully hand tooled and decorated on 9oz leather with silver and brass colored conchoes and brass hardware.

post-28366-052068100 1335800505_thumb.jp

post-28366-072382100 1335800529_thumb.jp

post-28366-093226400 1335800548_thumb.jp

Edited by PutnamLeather

WOW! Very impressive. Beautiful thanks for sharing.

Outstanding! Great colors-gorgeous lacing.

huge and terific job here!

congrats!

Thanks everybody I'm glad you like my work. It seriously took me 8 hours to lace it up, my fingers still hurt. :)

LOL

i "feel" you!

i braided a pair of stirrups.....and it took me 20 meters of roo laces and something like 2 and half evenings ;)

a real pain in the butt....but turned out rather good...

not as impressive as your knife shealth but still nice ;)

DSC_2784.JPG

Really nice work! My dad used to be in the CAS several years back. There were plenty of folks there that crafted a lot of their own sheathes and holsters, but none of them hold a candle to this craftsmanship right here. How long did it take you to put all that together from the get go?

Very sharp design, pun intended.

Those are nice stirrups, I was thinking of doing things like that but figured I'd start a bit smaller. :)

It took about 10 hours to finnish, 8 of that was just lacing though. Thats after making the patten too, which takes me forever for some reason.

Those are nice stirrups, I was thinking of doing things like that but figured I'd start a bit smaller. :) ......

"A bit smaller"???

Geez your knife sheath is WAY more complex than my stirrups!!!

:D

After that terrific sheath, braiding a pair of stirrups will be a "roll in the hay" for you ! ;)

Ok, i guess there exist somewhere in a corner of your mind a way of braiding terrific and complex stirrups...

Here were my 1st braided stirrups and i wanted to start "easy" ;) but finally , even "easy" turned out rather good ;)

Keep posting your projects! i love your job! ;)

Oh wow! That is absolutely beautiful! I have a knife that I've just been waiting for the right inspiration to make a case for it. Where did you get such a pattern? I'd love to learn how to make a case like that one. I don't fully understand how you put it all together from just the pictures.

I'm glad you like it, I didn't have a pattern to work from either. I just followed the basic guidelines in stolhmans book leather cases #1 for the main body then taped that to another piece of paper and drew my skirt around that, I think it turned out to be .75" from the body. I added a .25" welt so the knife wouldn't cut the lace and them put it all together. I measured the keepers around the main body and just adjusted to fit the conchoes I had and after lacing just riveted them to the skirt. The skirt and the main part are one piece of leather folded over so make sure you allow enough space for the belt loop too. I got most of my ideas from pictures off the google and from looking at what other people have posted on this site. I hope this helps a little at least. ;)

Oh wow! That is absolutely beautiful! I have a knife that I've just been waiting for the right inspiration to make a case for it. Where did you get such a pattern? I'd love to learn how to make a case like that one. I don't fully understand how you put it all together from just the pictures.

Here's a basic free pattern and how-to for Mexican Loop Sheaths:

http://www.wrtcleather.com/1-ckd/mexloop/_mexloop.html

and Putnam Leather - very fine version indeed!

Here's a basic free pattern and how-to for Mexican Loop Sheaths:

http://www.wrtcleath...p/_mexloop.html

and Putnam Leather - very fine version indeed!

Oh I see. It's the same principle as the old west style pistol rigs. Thank you!

I just saw found this thread ( because I want to try lacing). WOW...Putnam that is awesome work.

Is that store bought lace or did you cut your own?

Thanks,

Jake

Hey thanks, it's the 3/32 pro lace from tandy. I've tried to cut my own a bunch of times and it always comes out crappy. :} But practice makes perfect.

I know this is an old thread but I have to

say that is one of the most beautiful knife sheathes I have seen

Very Nice Work!