Sign in to follow this  
Jarrett V

Website Is Up

Very nice website....I found 3 words spelled wrong. Ambassadors, mahogany, turquoise. Other than that looks great!

Nice work ! My only suggestion would be to put prices on the items are at least a base price and have some way to pay with a credit card.

And be aware that Apple's iStuff doesn't support Flash. To work around that, need to have your page detect the browser type (Safari) and use an alternate scheme.

CTG

Nice site and good looking work.

I like the style. Very clean and gives a very specific feel. That being said, from a technical stand point, it basically needs to be redone. I hate to say it, but it's true. It is completely unusable on iOS devices, and even on normal computers it is overly bloated. Do the exact same design using a standard content management system like Wordpress or Drupal, and you'd have a very nice website.

Edited by Glendon

I didnt realise that iOS devices dont support flash when so many websites use it. Is there an alternative to get the same effects? I just used HTML and CSS for mine since I dont know much about web design and would rather be making something out of leather than learning another language.

Very nice website....I found 3 words spelled wrong. Ambassadors, mahogany, turquoise. Other than that looks great!

Thank you, those are fixed.

Nice work ! My only suggestion would be to put prices on the items are at least a base price and have some way to pay with a credit card.

I am currently working on a price structure, rather than what is just in my head, and will be adding some what of a price structure soon.

Nice site and good looking work.

Thank you

I like the style. Very clean and gives a very specific feel. That being said, from a technical stand point, it basically needs to be redone. I hate to say it, but it's true. It is completely unusable on iOS devices, and even on normal computers it is overly bloated. Do the exact same design using a standard content management system like Wordpress or Drupal, and you'd have a very nice website.

Ok, this was very blunt, BUT it is exactly what I was looking for. I asked for a critique and this is it. As far as iOS not being able to use it, it sucks. I was not aware of such when I began the building of the site, but seeing as I have already paid for one year of site usage, I'll have to wait it out and just improve what I have for now and change the whole program after the year is up.

Thank you for bringing this issue to the surface.

I didnt realise that iOS devices dont support flash when so many websites use it. Is there an alternative to get the same effects? I just used HTML and CSS for mine since I dont know much about web design and would rather be making something out of leather than learning another language.

I couldn't tell you how may items I could've made in the time I spent trying to figure out this whole website process.

I didnt realise that iOS devices dont support flash when so many websites use it.

This is a perfect example of the cultural deference between the tech community and everyone else. I am by no means a member of the Digirati, but I keep up with that stuff the same way I keep up on leathercraft. In that community, flash is dead, and has been dead for about five years. No one uses flash for anything except video, and even that is being phased out as quickly as possible. I don't even know where you would find flash based website tools or someone who would actually recommend them. Building a new site with those tools is that weird to me. It's like finding a plumber that still works with cast iron pipe. Yes technically it still works, but there are a lot better options now,, and there has been for a long time.

This is a perfect example of the cultural deference between the tech community and everyone else. I am by no means a member of the Digirati, but I keep up with that stuff the same way I keep up on leathercraft. In that community, flash is dead, and has been dead for about five years. No one uses flash for anything except video, and even that is being phased out as quickly as possible. I don't even know where you would find flash based website tools or someone who would actually recommend them. Building a new site with those tools is that weird to me. It's like finding a plumber that still works with cast iron pipe. Yes technically it still works, but there are a lot better options now,, and there has been for a long time.

The embarassing thing is that I am also in the tech community, more hardware than software and definately not web design. Im more into microcontroller programming. I guess its avoided my radar!

Ha, well that is embarrassing, What way or how would you recommend I go about building a new site?

Well I changed a few minor things, iOS shoul be able to open it now. It is not the exact same site but it has the same basic stuff and it opened on my iPhone.

Learn HTML5.

Learn HTML5.

Or grab a handy high school or college student looking for a project. HTML5 is for sure the language that web design is moving to. I haven't sat down and learned it yet personally. I'm still working in PHP because I can turn projects out quickly, but HTML5 is on my list of things to look at when I have time.

I don't know what that computer guy is talking about. This is a great "beginning" to a fine future. Building a site for a non computer geek is a vaunting task. To be criticized for your efforts is ridiculous. I was so caught up in looking at the quality leather work, I didn't worry about anything else.

www.vancurenleather.com

There it is, Let me know what you think and any tips, or comments on the looks of the site, just let me know.

Thanks, Jarrett Van Curen

I really like the look of your site. Uncluttered and classy. It suits your work well. My only concern is the lack of pricing, but as you say, you are working on it. The how to section is a nice touch.

As an aside, I have always enjoyed your posts, you have a distinctive style.:-)