carolb

Adler 67 Bobbin Thread Pickup

I cannot get the bobbin thread to pull up or "catch" in my walking foot Adler 67 industrial machine. I had used my machine in February and not since then. I changed the thread to sew some vinyl for boat seat covers and now the machine does not pull up the bobbin thread. I looked at the manual and figure I followed the instructions - but have the feeling I am missing something. The machine worked fine the last time I used it so nothing could have changed since then except for the re-threading . Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have checked the needle and it's fine and I think I have threaded it correctly. Problem is this happened to me a year ago and my memory is so poor I cannot remember how I fixed it. This time I will write it down step by step so it won't happen again. Please help!

Thanks.

Edited by carolb

I am certainly not an expert here, however; since the only thing you changed is the thread, have you checked to make sure that the thread is the correct size for the needle, in the material you are trying to sew? If the needle makes a hole larger than required in what you are sewing, sometimes the thread comes up out of the hole too easily, and therefor it comes out premature and does not make a loop at the bottom of the stroke so the thingamajig can catch it and complete the stitch. Like I said, I am not an expert here, but; that is where I would look first. Perhaps Wiz or Art can give you better information.

Bob

I am certainly not an expert here, however; since the only thing you changed is the thread, have you checked to make sure that the thread is the correct size for the needle, in the material you are trying to sew? If the needle makes a hole larger than required in what you are sewing, sometimes the thread comes up out of the hole too easily, and therefor it comes out premature and does not make a loop at the bottom of the stroke so the thingamajig can catch it and complete the stitch. Like I said, I am not an expert here, but; that is where I would look first. Perhaps Wiz or Art can give you better information.

Bob

I probably should be more clear on my bobbin thread problem. I have rethreaded the machine and inserted a new bobbin into the holder. At this point I am unable to get the thread caught up from the bottom of the machine to the top of the machine to begin sewing. I have the needle in the correct way according to the manual facing left with the long groove. I hold the top thread lightly in my hand and turn the wheel where at this point the bobbin thread should get picked up when the needle goes down and up again but it does not. I'm pretty sure it's something simple I have done wrong but I do not know what.

Are you threading the needle from left to right & are you turning the handwheel towards you?I know these are very simple but we have to start somewhere.

Bob

Are you threading the needle from left to right & are you turning the handwheel towards you?I know these are very simple but we have to start somewhere.

Bob

Yes, I am threading it from left to right. The walking foot has a hole right under the needle and I have tried putting the thread through the hole and also without putting it through the hole and just through the needle. I am also turning the handwheel towards me. I have tried it with the foot lowered and with it up.

Should I try taking pictures of how I threaded the machine and email them to you? Also, I could email a picture of the bobbin and how I inserted it. Would that help?

Edited by carolb

Yes, I am threading it from left to right. The walking foot has a hole right under the needle and I have tried putting the thread through the hole and also without putting it through the hole and just through the needle. I am also turning the handwheel towards me. I have tried it with the foot lowered and with it up.

Should I try taking pictures of how I threaded the machine and email them to you? Also, I could email a picture of the bobbin and how I inserted it. Would that help?

Yes,a pic might help.

Bob

[Yes,a pic might help.

Bob

Hi Bob. I have attached pictures to show how I have threaded the machine and bobbin.post-14806-043632000 1340115475_thumb.jppost-14806-072306200 1340115493_thumb.jppost-14806-026859700 1340115507_thumb.jppost-14806-004018500 1340115517_thumb.jppost-14806-059370900 1340115525_thumb.jppost-14806-069216900 1340115534_thumb.jppost-14806-056490200 1340115876_thumb.jppost-14806-022482500 1340115885_thumb.jppost-14806-020141800 1340115943_thumb.jp

Good pics,I don't see anything wrong.Look @ your hook(the outer parts of the bobbincase) & see if it's turning when you turn the machine.

Does the machine have a safety clutch?

Yes,it has a clutch.

Does the machine have a safety clutch?

I have no idea if it has a safety clutch. It is impossible, I have no idea what we are doing wrong . It's frustrating as the machine worked great the last time I used it and I just wanted to use a clear thread for the seat covers and was switching it. I thought maybe is was the "fishing line" style thread and switched back to the old thread and it made no difference.

CarolB;

The guys are trying to well you something important, when they mentioned that your machine has a safety clutch. This could be the crux of the problem. The clutch may have disengaged to protect the hook, after a thread jam. If so, you will need to hold down a button and rotate the handwheel to re-engage the drive to the hook.

Edited by Wizcrafts

Hi, pull out more bobbin thread, 8 inches. If it is to short it will not reach up true the needle plate. Have the bobbin closing plate open, to see if the bobbin turns around and picking up the thread. Not all 67 subclasses have a clutch, let us know if shuttle turns (and the subclass number).

Thanks

quote name='carolb' timestamp='1340150907' post='253275']

I have no idea if it has a safety clutch. It is impossible, I have no idea what we are doing wrong . It's frustrating as the machine worked great the last time I used it and I just wanted to use a clear thread for the seat covers and was switching it. I thought maybe is was the "fishing line" style thread and switched back to the old thread and it made no difference.

The best investment you could make right now is a copy of the manual for your machine. Go through it page by page and make yourself familiar with everything in that book.

In the long term this will save you money and time. A good percentage of the machines that people ask me to fix have nothing wrong with them that a working knowledge of the owners manual would not have cured.

I have the manual and have gone over it numerous times. Threading it by following the diagrams and making sure the needle is in correctly. I will look into the clutch part. I have noticed that the bobbin holder goes around but does not pick up a thread. I am going to try a few more of the sugggestions and get my husband to read these comments as well and see if he can help me as he's more mechanical than I am - although he has no experience with sewing machines. Thanks everyone and I will let you know how it works out.

Hi, pull out more bobbin thread, 8 inches. If it is to short it will not reach up true the needle plate. Have the bobbin closing plate open, to see if the bobbin turns around and picking up the thread. Not all 67 subclasses have a clutch, let us know if shuttle turns (and the subclass number).

Thanks

quote name='carolb' timestamp='1340150907' post='253275']

Hi again. The machine is a Adler 67-372T/HO. Serial No. 29599 . I tried your suggestion of the longer bobbin thread and left the closing plate open. The lower half of the bobbin case turns around when I move the hand wheel towards me but the bobbin thread stays in the same place and nothing is caught by the needle thread. I'm thinking that maybe there is old thread stuck under the lower half of the bobbin case and in our manual it explains how to clean the hook assembly and that includes that area. We will try cleaning that tomorrow and reassembling it. I'm not familiar with all the terms for the machine parts. I called a repair person and he says we live too far out and would have to bring the machine to him. If we can't figure this out soon, we'll load it up and haul it to his place - it's pretty heavy so I'd rather not have to do this.

Once again - thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

Ok,now tilt the head back,look underneath on the right side is a belt it should be made out of string w/metal cleats on it, this belt stretches & can jump teeth on the cog that it's supposed to run,then your machine will be out of time.So look @ it & see if it's loose.

Bob

Hi,

I do not know for sure, but I think it has a clutch (I have sold my 67-73, and I do not remember if it had, but yes I think so) you must do like Bob (Sewmun) told you. But first, take out the bobbin house and clean out old threads that might block it. Remove the needle plate and the feed dog first.

Then remove the three very tiny screws on the top of the bobbin house, and remove it. Clean out the old thread, if any.Then clean and oil before assembling the bobbin house.

Before you assemble the feed dog and plate, remove the needle and put in a NEW needle size Nm 90 (your needle might look good, but is bent and wont work. A new unused right size and system 134-35 Smetz needle from the pack).

Then turn the machine (against you) and look at the hook timing, the needle goes down to it lowest position, and up ca. one millimeter. The tip of the hook must pass the needle over the needle eye in order to catch the thread loop.

The distance between the needle and the hook tip should be about 0.2 mm. (check the manual, hook-needle distance, not in the timing prosess).

If the hook want turn, you must reengage the clutch. Lock the clutch (according to the manual) and turn the hand wheel backwards util it reengages, click sound!!.

If the timing is off, it is possible it had jumped over some tooth on the gear (cog)wheel, like Bob told you. You must the time it as described above.

DoYou have a service manual? Mine are German, If you want it let me know. You do not need any special tools to time the hook, like they say in the manual. Just be sure the hook tip passes just over the needle eye, (inside the needle scarf) when the needle has past its lowest position and its one millimeter on its way up again.

Go on, you can do it....:spoton:

I hope this helps.

Trox

(Do you use a fishing line thread? It is not bit stiff for the Adler? It likes soft polyester and core spun cotton the best and braided polyester. Sometimes with a bit stiff, big sizes nylon bond, you will have stitch errors with the Adler's.)

Hi again. The machine is a Adler 67-372T/HO. Serial No. 29599 . I tried your suggestion of the longer bobbin thread and left the closing plate open. The lower half of the bobbin case turns around when I move the hand wheel towards me but the bobbin thread stays in the same place and nothing is caught by the needle thread. I'm thinking that maybe there is old thread stuck under the lower half of the bobbin case and in our manual it explains how to clean the hook assembly and that includes that area. We will try cleaning that tomorrow and reassembling it. I'm not familiar with all the terms for the machine parts. I called a repair person and he says we live too far out and would have to bring the machine to him. If we can't figure this out soon, we'll load it up and haul it to his place - it's pretty heavy so I'd rather not have to do this.

Once again - thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

Edited by Trox

I will try your suggestions before I give up and bring it to the repair man. Thanks so much.

This is what a repair man will do.

Get to know your machine, you can not bring it to the repair shop every time somethings happens.

But this might be a repairmans job, then againg it might only be some thread under the bobbin house.

It is a common cause.

Nobody will blame you for giving it up, but you can do it.

Trox

I will try your suggestions before I give up and bring it to the repair man. Thanks so much.

Success! I mentioned all the things you folks were suggesting to my husband. Today while I was out of the house he looked up "how a bobbin works" on the internet so he could understand what it was supposed to do - he has no sewing experience. He then removed the lower bobbin mechanism and cleaned it all. He said there was a lot of thread jammed in there. He checked to see how it all worked and then adjusted the needle height so it would line up properly with the bobbin. He opened up the machine to adjust this - not just the needle and the screw to hold it in place. It works! When he looked at it last night I was hovering over him and giving too much advice:....... - he said he just needed some time by himself to study how it all worked and fixed it. Thanks so much for all the help folks!

Edited by carolb

Yep.....thought so...sometimes we just cain't see the Forrest for the trees......

97% of the time it is threads that jamming the bobbin house. A manual, some directions and some time to think, voila.

Success! I mentioned all the things you folks were suggesting to my husband. Today while I was out of the house he looked up "how a bobbin works" on the internet so he could understand what it was supposed to do - he has no sewing experience. He then removed the lower bobbin mechanism and cleaned it all. He said there was a lot of thread jammed in there. He checked to see how it all worked and then adjusted the needle height so it would line up properly with the bobbin. He opened up the machine to adjust this - not just the needle and the screw to hold it in place. It works! When he looked at it last night I was hovering over him and giving too much advice:....... - he said he just needed some time by himself to study how it all worked and fixed it. Thanks so much for all the help folks!

Hello there.

please help! I am new to all of this. I was winding a new bobbin but didn’t take the old bobbin out of the bobbin holder. As a result all of the thread from the old bobbin has wound itself round the base of the bobbin holder. I can see it but can’t get to it or remove it.

what should I do. I can’t find anything on the internet that is helpful in the slightest!

also is there any way to release the needed from going up and down when winding a new bobbin full of thread.

thanks

Having read these posts, it is definitely thread under the bobbin house. How do I remove the house?

5 hours ago, SAEede said:

Hello there.

please help! I am new to all of this. I was winding a new bobbin but didn’t take the old bobbin out of the bobbin holder. As a result all of the thread from the old bobbin has wound itself round the base of the bobbin holder. I can see it but can’t get to it or remove it.

what should I do. I can’t find anything on the internet that is helpful in the slightest!

also is there any way to release the needed from going up and down when winding a new bobbin full of thread.

thanks

Having read these posts, it is definitely thread under the bobbin house. How do I remove the house?

@Uwe has a great video that I used for this I'll post the link shortly

, It's not the exact same machine but I was able to remove the parts to get the thread from underneath and reassemble using this vid, I have an Adler 67-273

Edited by koreric75
Added link